Purg-Adu-tory: The continuing saga of Freddy's off season: Aug 1 no news since Sion move fails

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by dark knight, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I think we need a new rule - once you hit 25 posts on Freddy in any Freddy thread, you can no longer post in that thread.

Second?

2. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Purg-Adu-tory: The continuing saga of Freddy's off season

Second.

3. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

can we apply that to non freddy threads also?

I mean to be honest, I barely come here anymore because it is so hard to get actual information.

maybe another idea would be to sticky links posted in a thread either in the front or at the top of every page created?

so:
    links for news and updates
    page1 posts
    links for news and updates
    page2 posts
    repeat

then if you want to comment on subjective suff in the comments, you can???

e.g. dempsey thread is 70 pages, lol.
    I mean where is the value in that?

4. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

Yeah - I was thinking the same that it would be nice to have a Freddy thread just for actual news - but not sure we want to have 2 running threads. I guess the mods could edit the first post with any updates? More suggestions welcome.

5. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This thread is lame. Where's the news?;)

6. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana

As someone who had no interest in even attempting to wade through the previous Adu thread, I would appreciate a brief recap of the latest rumors regarding his possible destination for next season.

Staying in Greece, back to Portugal, etc.?

Thanks.

7. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I approve of the thread title pun.

8. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

well no, I mean the problem is that most threads are now congealed into one thread which basically becomes intractable and esoteric for anyone, let alone mods.

Why not just create new threads for relatively new information?
    e.g. most of the real ya player threads are like 40 to 60ish pages long. That length use to be the Carlos Elliot gold standard.

I understand bs has a lot more posters and therefore posts, but if you also lodge together a single thread for all sorts of topics on the player and add in number of posters, it is simply bound for disaster.

anyways, I would love to know what is going on with Dempsey, so now I just scan for links while clicking through 8 pages, versus participation and content because there simply are not enough threads/topic to contribute in any meaningful way, albeit, assuming I ever did so in the first place.

I actually dont have a problem with people shooting it out about, e.g. adu, but just give them their own damn thread to spiral into.

mods, trashmen don't evny your work and I am very thankful for your work and you deserve thanks for a high calling, but I just wanted to add my two cents.....

9. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France

i thought freddy adieu was much better.

10. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

see that is an example of what I mean.

I just have no real idea about any ya playing because the threads are far too... unreadable...

11. mikeivan

mikeivan Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Doesn't work if he doesn't leave. Where Fred is now is like Purgatory or Limbo and close to Hell.

12. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was thinking the same thing. After being on vacation the last 10 days, I tried to go through a few pages of the Dempsey and Donovan threads, but gave up. Any summary will be appreciated.

13. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France

vade retro satanas!

oh, you're serious?

tyhe brief recap would be that no one knows. neither benfica nor aris seem to want him and no one else is interested in picking up even part of his hefty salary.

14. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005

Actually the only news there has been since the beginning is he didn't go to preseason training with the team. Although people were sounding like he won some sort of victory in a stand-off, where did that come from?

15. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He should join the Dharma Initiative.

16. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

There is a big interview with Cuper today. He said that the team is working on the tactical side and that the team will work like a real TEAM this year. But he also wants the players to be able to use their individual talents because that can change the game. But to be able to do that you have to know how to take the right decisions without much time to think. And the player can't turn around to the bench all the time and ask for directions and what to do.

Well that was just a small part of the interview. But doesn't it feel like he meant players like Adu? Because I remember him turning to the bench plenty of times and asking what he should do. He is not the smartest player and the best decision maker.

17. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Here is a brief recap and certainly a lot of it is speculative.

1. Aris has started preseason training away from Greece (most recently in Switzerland).

2. Freddy has not been invited to this training and is training on his own with some reserves in Greece.

3. Much of the discussion occurs around the questions:

a.) Aris has a loan agreement with Benefica. The details of the agreement are not commonly known. There has been speculation that Freddy should have cut his salary to travel with Aris to train and or Aris should bring him along, perhaps since they may be obligated to pay him per the terms of the loan agreement anyway.

b.) There are questions regarding how badly Aris might want Freddy and how highly Coach Cuper rates him.

c.) Freddy's old number last season for Aris has been given to the new acquisition and generally poorly thought of, by MLS fans, Carlos Ruiz.

d.) There has been discussion regarding Freddy perhaps, taking a salary cut to go somewhere he might be truly wanted and appreciated (MLS was proposed as an option)

e.) Several of the Aris posters don't rate Feddy very highly.

f.) There have been discussions regarding Aris' salary structure and how Freddy's salary and showing up after preseason might impact the locker room. Also, how it might affect his playing time.

g.) No new left winger has been brought in, it is commonly assumed once the season starts, he would be brought in and be the back up to Calvo.

h.) The usual Freddy stuff, U-tube clips, people discussing which position he needs to play, his improvement, areas he needs to work on.

12 people repped this.
  18. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

Perhaps Have the running thread to talk about his continued club career, but make a new thread for any kind of legit news that might mean a change in direction of his career.

That way if anything pops up, you'll know it's a news article worth reading if you want an update on how his career arc will be changing, and that the running thread will be commentary on his current career path.

19. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana

Thanks, deuteronomy.

Unfortunately I can't rep you but that recap was much appreciated.

20. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

You can't even make this stuff up anymore.

I wonder if there's a soccer version of the "And 1 Mix-tape tour"

21. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It is pretty weird, as someone else before, how he goes from starting 4 playoff games to not wanted at all is just bizarre.

It was pretty absurd that someone said he wouldn't be able to find other clubs though. Odense is arguably more prestigious than Aris and they almost got him last season, but they couldn't agree with Benfica on fee/wages. If Adu was able to go somewhere on a free transfer, there would be a lot more clubs interested in actually developing him.

How much of a ruhtard does he have to be to go from winning games with his offense to not wanted? Friggin' bizarre.

22. mikeivan

mikeivan Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Done, I thought it was a good summary. I still think Freddy has a shot at playing for Aris this season, we should know soon enough.

23. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC

But what if you hit 25 posts not on freddy in a freddy thread?

24. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC

I still like mine

Adu-de where's my team?

1 person likes this.
  25. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Why when I saw the word Limbo did I picture Freddy on the beach with hurricane glass in one hand trying to shimmy under a bar...maybe my wife is right...there is something wrong with me...:D