Purely for fun: MLS Weather

Discussion in 'Statistics and Analysis' started by kenntomasch, May 3, 2004.

1. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I dunno dude, Dallas gets pretty hot in the summertime. Any day game, I'd say, at least has a small shot at the title.

2. ATM1963

ATM1963 New Member

May 31, 2010
    St Louis
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I am reviving an old post, I think if you take this study a step beyond weather, you can come up with some sort of ballpark effect, similar to baseball. I know different stadiums have different effects to how players are tired depending on the elevation as well as the ball traveling further, minor effects from the field have slight variations as slanted fields, wind effects, games played during the night or day.

While I am not sure if a study of this can be effectively calculated, is anybody aware of this being done?

3. watanabe2k

watanabe2k Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Illinois, but Japan
    Club:
    Jubilo Iwata
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    This is very interesting. I know there are several academic papers which examine the effect of weather on attendance at sporting events.

In England they find the colder/worse the weather, the higher the attendance.
    In North America they find the colder/worse the weather, the lower the attendance.

I'd be curious to see whether the North America effect changes when examining soccer.

4. TFVL

TFVL New Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Club:
    Panathinaikos Athens
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Interesting thanks for your insight.