Punk Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by TerminusFooty, Feb 7, 2014.

1. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How old are the guys in this band? They sound like they're from a different era. I haven't been a big fan of a lot of new punk, hardcore, Oi!, etc. But this sounds like it comes from my era. I was heavily involved in the Chicago hardcore scene in the mid to late 80s. Interesting. I looked up some info on all of this. I was not a fan of Rancid. I do like this album though. Odd to me that something newer from the same guy would appeal to me so much more than his older stuff.

4. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lars Frederiksen is 42. Yeah I avoided Rancid for many years because of the whole scene I associated them with. But after learning more about them I realized they have much more integrity than those pop-punk major label acts I was lumping them in with. And, yes, Old Firm Casuals is even more raw and straightforward. Seems like Lars leans more Cockney Rejects while the others lean more Clash.

Being from Chicago, did you ever catch the Effigies live?

5. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What labels and bands do you guys follow?

Also, does anyone attend Fest in gainesville?

Best Album for you guys in 2013?

Last show attended?

6. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My favorite album of 2013 is a little more on the punk/metal hybrid side of things:

Red Fang's "Whales & Leeches"...
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4ljhsFJH38

Other albums on rotation lately include "Kings of Punk, Hockey & Beer" by D.O.A. and "Hardcore Hooligans" by The Business. (Both are full of hysterical lyrics, BTW.)

Last show attended was Greg Ginn & Ron Reyes' Black Flag rehash when they hit ATL a few months back. I know he's an ass and it was a joke to reform the band, but he is a brilliant guitarist and he didn't disappoint.

What do you recommend?

chad repped this.
  7. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My favorite album of 2013 was either Direct Hit-brainless God or Red City Radio-Titles

or

http://paperplastick.limitedrun.com/products/517619-red-city-radio-titles

last show attended was Against Me! in Orlando, Jan 25th. Just as good as they have always been even with all the changes, and I had as much fun at this one as I did at any going back to my first Against Me! show back in 2003

Next show planned is Iroc Chic and Off with The Heads here in gainesville, both released albums in 2013 and both were very solid. and the two combining for one show will be titanic.

I always dug Rancid myself, to piggyback into that conversation, with the exception of Indestructable, but I haven't kept up with them in a long time, never listened to the side projects much either, besides The Transplants, and I hated that

chad repped this.
  8. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, I'll check em out. Iron Chic website's description in Google is hilarious: Iron Chic is a decent band from Long Island, NY. They play songs that are acceptable.

Walter3000 repped this.
  9. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Punk's not dead it just deserves to die...

10. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    stupid

TerminusFooty repped this.
  11. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    when it becomes another stale cartoon

Blink 182, Green Day & Rancid. Man do they rawk!

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  12. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have any of those bands in rotation, haven't listened to a Green Day album since Insomniac and never enjoyed Blink, sorry your idea of punk is confined to what you see on tv, your bad

13. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Absolutely. The punk highlight was stage diving at the Circle Jerks and Black Flag shows at the Metro.

xtomx and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Had a beer with Mike Watt at a yuppy bar next to the Metro once. He was playing a show with Eddie Vedder and his wife and some band they'd formed. Watt didn't expect to be recognized in that environment, but was cool when he realized I wasn't going to try to scam tickets for the show (which had people lining up most of the way back to the Punkin Donuts on Belmont). A friend of mine later interviewed Watt, but I won't post a link since 1) I'm at work and 2) it was published on the Suicide Girls website.

luftmensch repped this.
  15. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm struggling to think of what punk means. I know the '70s version of punk -- the usual anger of 17 year old males, wanting to tell everybody to ******** off, funneled into a certain type of look & sound that was topical, in that it was a rejection of prog rock & glitz. I mean, I was there. I know what Pink Floyd looked like and sounded like, and I get why punk was a counter reaction.

But now? Or even the '90s? Be white, hate everybody and wear black?

Not being snarky, just trying to understand.

16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Green Day turned an album into a long running, and now touring, Broadway show.

That' doesn't help me understand, either.

17. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Looking for my neg rep button.

18. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What? It's not like I wrote, produced, directed (or hell, even dreamed of attending) the damn thing.

Geez, talk about shooting the messenger. But since neg rep is a thing of the past...

[​IMG]

19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I thought about going when in NY as a tourist. I would have gone if Billie Jo were in the cast (he came and went). No, you don't get neg rep for that. You get neg rep for dodging my question, Herr Doktor Professor.

20. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's pretty much true for any genre you can think of, what starts out as an authentic original expression becomes something that later people emulate or are influenced by.

To me punk is hard, loud, simple rock with an anti-authoritarian edge. And ultimately it's sort of an "I know it when I hear it" thing.

21. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    OK thanks, that is helpful.

22. Ruh7

Ruh7 Member

Sep 7, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    GG Allin is the man. I have been listening to a lot of Punk Lately. I love Synth Punk. Dance Punk is sweet too. The Units are awesome. It sucks the scene was ruined by a bunch of corporate heads.

23. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I think you are quoting a Cheech and Chong movie, but I cannot remember which one...:barefoot:

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  24. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    GG Allin was a drug addicted POS with very little talent. Another Sid Vicious but far more detestable,

Dyvel repped this.
  25. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States