PUMAS v Veracruz (pre-during-post)

Discussion in 'Pumas de UNAM' started by Disco Dale, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    This will be very interesting game:- Veracruz had a good victory v Queretaro last week (3-0), so this could give us an idea of just how weak Queretaro are.

Personally, despite my worries about Palacios and Velarde at the back, I really would only make one change to the starting 11 from last week:- drop Iñiguez, and start with Morales. I would stick with González starting for now.

Whilst training yesterday (Bosque de Tlalpan) various players, including Leandro, el Chupa and Antonio Sancho all give their opinon that we deserved more v Atlas, and we played well, but will try and play better.

Hardly needs saying that we need to win.

Off to the cantera tomorrow to pick up my plastic season ticket. Which I am sure I will then lose....

2. franco

franco New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    USA
    ...vamos PUMAS!!!...caldito de tiburon?...

...i second everything you say, except picking up the ticket...
    ...i did not see veracruz play, but i would assume that we should be able to win this one given the team played on their weak defending on the wings, on getting cohesiveness with mid and attack, and our attackers participating more....:cool:

3. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    No, I didn't see anything of that match, but someone told me both the Columbians (Moreno and Arzuaga) had good games, I think we will need to watch out for Arzuaga especailly, bit of an unknown quantity, as far as I'm concerned.

4. franco

franco New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    USA
    ...i am just concern of the connection of our forwards and our midfield, more than anything...i think in this pumas team it is easier to defend than to attack...i hope i am not wrong...

5. John Jagou

John Jagou BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 8, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Kids will be allowed into CU free of cost for the game. That's how you build fan loyalty.

6. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    Be warned, if you are taking your anklebiter:- they need to be wearing colours, and have an adult with them.

7. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Kids should always have adults with them but besides that it's not as dangerous especially if they take the lower deck seats.

8. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    I didn't mean it as a warning in that sense, I just wanted to point out they need to be wearing a Puma shirt to get in free.

It certainly is very safe at CU. I don't see a problem with kids going to the match on their own - I used to.

9. franco

franco New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    USA
    ...veracruz for what it showed last week could be dangerous...vucetich or whatever his l.name is, has been known to be a good coach in mexico so expect a tough game this sunday...hopefully for veracruz that win goes to the head of the players and they enter overconfident against pumas...we gotta take advantage of our games at home...:cool:

...i might watch the queretaro game today, just to see how they do...it starts in a few on fox...so i hope for their second defeat, jeje...

10. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    Well, you got your wish, Franco, and with San Luis and Santos also losing, all good news for us. I didn't see the game, how did Queretaro look?

Looks like there will be one change to the starting line up today:- El Chupa Lopez will start in place of Íñiguez.

Ignacio Scocco in Record today:-
    "No hay pretextos, hay que sumar de a tres puntos para pelear arriba. Tenemos las cualidades y las ganas, creo que tenemos todo para hacer goles, pero ahora debemos demostrarlo"

and:-
    "Por ahi puede ser una ventaja que seamos tres argentinos, pero la mayor ventaje es que desde hace mucho que estamos trabajando juntos y tenemos las cualidades para hacer las cosas que sabemos, que son goles y hay que demostrarlo"

11. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Scocco with a beautiful header off a corner at 22'

1-0.

12. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    From a random gringo watching the game (who knows no Spanish) that was a nice header.

I don't get cable in my apartment so recently I've been watching a lot of the Mexican League. I have to admit, it's really good and really entertaining. I don't quite know if I like the whole Apertura/Clasasura thing but the quality of play is really exciting. If only MLS could replicate the atmosphere and quality only a little bit.

I don't have a "team" per se but I read up on a few teams and respect Pumas' insistence on building through the youth team.

13. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Leandro makes it 2-0 at 31' with a shot from just inside the box after bringing it all the way down the field by himself.

14. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Palacios fails to clear or block and Sanchez puts it past Bernal.

M.T. Pumas 2 - 1 Veracruz

15. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Shot from the top of the box at the start of the second half by Da Silva puts Pumas up 3-1.

16. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Pumas 3 - 1 Veracruz

Pumas played with 10 men for the last 20 minutes as Sancho was sent off.

17. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Good showing by Reinaldo. Nice surprise.

That stupid ref totally blew 2 pks against us and a free kick.

18. fabled1

fabled1 Member

Apr 9, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Spot on for Pumas. Reinaldo and that 65yd? dash by Leandro only to cross it in to the other post. ORGASMIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    Good for you, welcome aboard.

Lovely stuff, At last Leandro tries something other than a near-post floater for a corner, and Scocco took it beautifully.

Leandro's goal, superb, wonderful to see.

Reinaldo, with his first touch, seconds into the second half.

Still very worried at the back (they hit the post three times today), Pikolin had a shocker today.

More piss-poor referring in the mexican league, two pens turned down (plus a booking for diving on one of them!!!), they both looked clear to me in the stadium, and Sancho's second yellow looked very harsh. And it killed the game off.

20. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Seriously I dont think Ill ever have any sense of security having Palacios in the back. Hector Moreno looks like a great replacement and I want to see more of Jehu Chiapas.

21. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Thanks! I watched about 4 games this weekend on my local channels. I was quite surprised by the poor calls/non-calls. Is that a trademark of the Mexican League (like it is for MLS)?

I just wish there was a league site in English or atleast one of the club teams. (I may have to learn Spanish at some point!) My brother in law is Mexican and his family is from Guadalajara, they all love Chivas. I can't support them for some reason.

So far after two weeks my team of choice seem to be down to Santos Laguna or Pumas.

22. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    Sadly yes. The quality of refs, along with their understanding of the rules, and spirit, of football, here in Mexico is very very, frustratingly low.

Obvio.... PUMAS

23. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I gotta say, I loved today's Pumas game. I don't know the guys name but I like the guy who has long blond hair. He also took the corner on the first goal that was headed in.

24. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Leandro, he also scored the second goal of the game.

25. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Its probably those ugly jerseys they wear. The only good thing Santos has going for them is Pony Ruiz. The guys a badass