Puma Thread [3] - all questions, pictures, boots here.

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by appleCORR7, Jan 8, 2015.

1. zachleft

zachleft Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    So the last pair of pumas I had were the v1.06 so I've been out of the puma game for a while. I'm mostly a vapor/superfly guy but I'm looking at a pair of cheap evospeed SL-S (black pair) so I'm wondering how I'm supposed to size. Based on a couple youtube reviewers you should size up half a size, but I'm just worried about them possibly being too big since I like my boots snug

2. zachleft

zachleft Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Can anyone clear up the numbering (1.4, 2.5, etc) for the evospeeds?

3. zachleft

zachleft Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Ok sorry for the 3rd post in a row but what's the difference between the evospeed 1.5 and the evospeed sl-s II?

1.5:
    [​IMG]

SL-S II:
    [​IMG]

They look very similar but are apparently different models?

4. Soccerstyle09

Soccerstyle09 Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I would say go true to size. I think that was around the time the evospeed became more true to size and ditched the anatomical toe box. If you like a really snug fit and have the cash to spend then check out the puma one 1. The One line essentially replaced the evospeed.

On a side note, I received my pair of Future 2.1 Low. Much improved over the 18.1 low. Definitely a snugger fit that’s more padded, but not so much so that it takes away from ball feel. Wore them to kick around a bit today and I’m happy to say they have the volume and width I needed that the one 1 didn’t have. I’ll post some pics soon.

zachleft repped this.
  5. cadmonkey12

cadmonkey12 Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just won a BNIB pair of Black and Yellow Puma Evospeed SL off eBay for $29.99 with free shipping! Will post when they arrive next week.

derbyyank13 repped this.
  6. zachleft

zachleft Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Maaan I can't find any good deals like that in my size. Can you post or dm the listing? I want to see it with my own eyes lol

7. cadmonkey12

cadmonkey12 Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are plenty of deals to be had on eBay if you're a big footed footy player. I pretty much purchase discontinued boots exclusively from eBay, I rarely buy from traditional online retailers...
    [​IMG]

8. BBeast10

BBeast10 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Mar 18, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody have any tips for lacing the Puma Future 18.1 low? I just got a pair and I'm really struggling to find a good lacing setup.

9. Soccerstyle09

Soccerstyle09 Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    When I had the future 18.1 low I could not get the lacing right either. No matter what I did, I could not get the tight fit. I think a lot of it had to do with the separate tongue construction and the tongue being so thin. Also, the future does have a higher volume. I did find that using the netfit holes that are further back on the ankle did help the lock down quite a bit. Also, if you have long enough laces you could try lacing them lower on each side. I will say that I find the future 2.1 low offers an overall better fit so far.

BBeast10 repped this.
  10. BBeast10

BBeast10 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Mar 18, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks! I am trying to get a pair of the 2.1s. I don't really struggle with getting a tight fit but my biggest issue is that my arch hurts after playing in them. I do not have flat feet so it's definitely something with the shoes

11. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have the normal versions in the 2.1 and I've been having a load of trouble with pressure just down the outside of my one foot. It's so painful its almost as if there is too much lock down and the material doesn't give enough. I had no problems with the 18.1 a much better fitting shoe for me personally.

appleCORR

12. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    7d563493e83c.jpg

Sorry about the double post - but does anyone know much about these? Were they limited in any way or just a crazy general release?

appleCORR

newone88 repped this.
  13. newone88

newone88 Member

May 2, 2006
    San Francisco
    appleCORR7 and derbyyank13 repped this.
  14. newone88

newone88 Member

May 2, 2006
    San Francisco
    The puma one Leather classic looks nice

upload_2018-9-10_14-19-47.png

15. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Puma are doing some decent boots at the moment (personally I think they’ve always has a nice selection) but once again they have been pushed down the pecking order despite signing some big names to the brand.

I think I’ve said it before but I think the Future (kind of ironic) are ahead of their time. Puma always seem to do this with boots they did it with V1.06 consumers just weren’t ready for it remember those were the first boots with a full carbon fibre sole they did it way before the original superfly.
    I just think they’ve out priced themselves with boots like the Futures I think people are curious about them but don’t want to drop that kind of money on a boot that they could spend on proven boots from Nike or Adidas. It’s a shame.

appleCORR

soulstar89, derbyyank13 and newone88 repped this.
  16. zachleft

zachleft Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I used the SL leather this weekend, and I was really impressed.

The last Pumas I had were the V1.06 and while I loved them, the anatomically correct toe box was really a turn off. Felt too pointy. The revamped toe design that Puma has gone with over the last few years kinda piqued my interest in returning to Puma boots since I did like what the V1.06 offered outside of the toe.

So I wore the SL leather for the first half, and switched to my Superfly IV at halftime for the sake of familiarity. Immediately I noticed the soleplate - something that felt nonexistent on the Pumas. I know the thin soleplate on the SL might be a downside to some, but I've always been someone who would play barefoot if I could, so I felt at home on it almost immediately. It felt like running around barefoot with spikes on my feet. subbed out and switched back to the SL after about 10 minutes lol.

The leather is quite thin, which is another plus for me as I've always preferred synthetic boots. I was a little apprehensive about going with the leather version but after reading some reviews it sounded like the SL would get torn to bits on field turf which is where I mostly play, where as the leather version lasts quite a bit longer, so I opted for the latter (though I am still interested in the SL-S). My touch was a bit off, but I'll chalk that up to new boots and them not being broken in considering they're leather.

God these things are light at 5.3 ounces. It's difficult to tell the difference between 2 ounces in your hands (Superfly at 7oz) but on foot, it's really night and day. I can't even imagine what the regular SL feel like at 3.2oz. Madness

The only downside I've experienced is that the toe has started to separate a bit from the sole on one boot, but that's probably on me seeing as they aren't really recommended for field turf and that I drag my
    foot wayyyyy too much for my own good. I think all my boots have started to separate on the toe for that reason. I think I'm gonna put a bit of shoe goo on the toe as a preventative measure to see if it helps going forward.

I've always been a speed boot player and the SL line brings me back to when Nike were very minimal in the design of the Vapors. As little frills as possible. Thin upper on a overall light boot. Basically I'm really happy with the purchase.

[​IMG]

vanjory, SuMing, appleCORR7 and 2 others repped this.
  17. SuMing

SuMing Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    This is my first time commenting here in a long time. I've been eyeing up the 2.1 Future to replace some of my boots but I was wondering how these shoes fit.

Here are some other shoes I wear:
    adidas LZ2 - 8.5
    Nike Premier - 8.5
    Nike Legend IV - 8
    Nike Lunar Gato 2 - 8.5
    Mizuno Neo Estrela - 8.5

Thanks in advance!

18. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    Hey guys, I really fancy a Puma One 1 in synthetic but the smallest adult size is still too big for me. Do you reckon I go for the largest kids size?
    It doesn’t look like there’s much difference (from online photos at least). Am I going to miss out on a lot of tech/features?

19. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    I know my response is super late but in my experience Adidas and Puma have the exact same US sizing. Not UK and EU though. Hope this helps.

20. BBeast10

BBeast10 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Mar 18, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where did you find them? As far as I see there is only a leather version for kids sizes

21. BBeast10

BBeast10 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Mar 18, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I just got a pair of the Puma One 18.1 in synthetic, and I didn't see any legit reviews online so I'll share my thoughts.

The upper is listed as a synthetic but I'm pretty sure it's a knit base with some sort of overlay (not really sure what it is) because there is no stitching between the Evoknit one piece tongue and the upper. It's a pretty thin upper with a slight amount of padding and the upper is mostly slick but I wouldn't say it's slippery because of the material being a little sticky to the touch. I would say the upper is pretty soft, like 6/10, it doesn't feel plasticky in any way but it's not crazy soft like a leather or Hybrid Touch. Overall I like it a lot.

One of my favorite parts of this boot is the pretty wide fit in the toebox, definitely wider than Adidas models which gave me issues with my toes being squeezed, and if you like the way Puma One 1 and Future fit, you will like the fit in these. They fit true to size like the current Puma models, unlike what SR4u said about the leather version.

The lockdown is very good because of the nylon straps and the lower sides, but there is some dead space on the sides because the nylon straps are not completely connected to the upper on the inside. No big deal in my opinion. If you tie them too tight you might feel cramps or squeezing in the midfoot, but of course you can loosen them.

The Evoknit material feels very nice and stretchy. I don't like collars in general, and this one is very good, but on this boot it is necessary. I will explain why later.

The soleplate is very stiff at first, especially in the midfoot and heel where I think it's basically impossible to bend it at all. The forefoot becomes a lot more flexible if you just bend it in your hands a few times before the first wear. I haven't had a chance to wear them out, so I don't know what the traction is like, but it just seems like a better variation of the Adidas stud pattern. The studs are nice and long so it will be pretty aggressive.

You also get an SL insole with the shoes which is pretty nice. I preferred the SL, and I will get to the reason why.

The only issue I have with this shoe is the heel fit. The synthetic material that covers the heel ends really low, and the actual heel counter is maybe 1/4 the height of this material and very very stiff, so you get a shallow fit in the heel that can actually be painful. The collar actually helps with this because it adds a little more material above your heel. Without the collar and the SL insole, I think heel slippage would be horrible. With them, it is manageable, not too bad I guess. If they had made the heel higher and maybe added more padding there, the shoe would be amazing. I wore them without the insole at all and I loved it a lot, I don't know if I could do that during real play though. I am trying to break in the heel counter by squishing it (don't know how else to describe it) and if that doesn't work I might resort to hot water.

Overall, the Puma One 18.1 is a pretty good boot minus the heel, definitely better than the evospeeds of the past, and I hope I can try the One 1 in synthetic someday, as I heard that is very good.

DanielVP7 and newone88 repped this.
  22. chris green

chris green Member

Newcastle United
    Aug 13, 2014
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Anybody into some of the older Puma boots, V-Konstrukt etc, Lovell Soccer have a few 'from the archive' (as they are describing it) for decent prices:

dfasdfadsfadsf.PNG fgsdfgsdfgsfdg.PNG

appleCORR7 repped this.
  23. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I take it everyone has seen Griezmann's new painted boots on Instagram? I love that he does that with his boots. Some of the stuff he has painted on there are brilliant.

appleCORR

derbyyank13 repped this.
  24. derbyyank13

derbyyank13 Member+

Nov 8, 2008
    Niigata, Japan
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Yeah they look awesome!

25. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think more players should do it - I mean the Future is a very unique boot, but you look at the likes of Nike and Adidas who are just releasing so much stuff they are churning out the same colour over and over you so would be cool to see some of their players do this to make the boot interesting again.

appleCORR

derbyyank13 repped this.