Pulisic starts: Dortmund vs SC Freiburg 1/27/2018

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by wixson7, Jan 27, 2018.

1. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    1st half 1-1. Average stream, caught about half of the 1st half. playing against a bunkering freiburg. CP with not many touches on the ball, and won't be seeing any space to run with it on counters.

Playing more narrow it seems, closer to PEA. Took a nice ball down, took on defenders and put in a dangerous cross on the ground across the 6', but just behind PEA.

Other than that haven't seen him do too much yet. But does seem to want to take the ball forward and make things happen, in the 20 minutes that i've seen, but just can't due to BVB's weird intention to just move the ball around the perimeter. The keeper has more touches than CP....me thinks.

autobus39 repped this.
  2. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I am hesitant to post here in game lest I invoke the ire of @ebbro.

That said, our lad had an okay first half, but Sahin needs to sit. That midfield is not working for me.

wixson7 repped this.
  3. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fixed that for you. Peace in our time.

WrmBrnr and y-lee-coyote repped this.
  4. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    So frustrating to watch. BVB have so much talent, even with all of the injuries, but their goalkeeper gets more touches then Auba or Pulisic. It's flat and uninspiring.

Dortmund fans were whistling and jeering the team off of the field at the end of the 1st half

5. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That Nils Petersen goal was nice.

6. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I've been wildly impressed with Caglar Söyüncü every time I've seen him play. I'm really surprised there's not been more activity surrounding him this transfer window.

7. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Almost done with dortmund. Offensive play is so anemic

8. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    66' sub for CP.

9. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Turning into just an avg bundesliga player at this point. Another disappointing outing.

HartwickFan repped this.
  10. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Pulisic rightly off in the 67th minute, not much effort today. Looked a little pouty and precious to me.

Sahin sucked.

2-1 Freiburg looks like game over, goodbye Euro hello midtable.

11. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    So... 2nd half, just little to no impact on the game at all. Had the one possession in transition in the 55' but at midline decided to put in hollywood ball to PEA but went straight to the CB.

Besides that, he just moved off the ball a ton trying to get into the slot or make the diagonal run, but the the space was just always way too crowded.

Not many touches on the ball, most of the time he had to just play it back or sideways. His final touch seemed appropros, gets the ball in the slot he wanted turned and had 10 yards of space to do something with it, but pulls it back.

I'm out.

12. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    to further bag on him, he is a bit of a diva when challenging the air for 50/50 balls. I haven't seen him put in a real challenge on those in many months. I get that he's shorter, but the half side twisting precious jumps aren't helping.

Today though, little to no turnovers, so I was pleased with that part.

13. Monarch Bay Beachbum

Apr 5, 2004
    The OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He may have seemed a bit “precious” and like a “diva”, but I also thought Freiburg’s strategy was to kick the kid every time he touched the ball. Half of his possessions ended with him splayed on the turf.

14. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    isak has yet to impress. also this site is almost unusable with the congratulations google user spam

15. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    OMG i thought i was the only one. The mobile version is ridiculous.

16. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Rescued a point at the end. Not really deserved, and I think there are some real problems in the team, they do not look cohesive at all.

Yup its big boy football, he needs to get stronger.

wixson7 repped this.
  17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too i thought my iPad was infected somehow.

bballshawn repped this.
  18. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    If you mention it in the Customer Service forum their answer is "Clear your cache and cookies then restart....."

Idiots.

bballshawn, bigtw64 and Winoman repped this.
  19. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per Squawka, he is 3/32 (9%) in aerial duels. I wouldn't expect him to win many, but that is pretty anemic.

wixson7 and monere repped this.
  20. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

And I thought there was some malware on my phone.

If this keeps up, this site is going down the toilet.

WrmBrnr, Winoman and bballshawn repped this.
  21. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yeah i installed god damn malwarebytes to scan my phone for no reason.

22. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    The opposition has now seen Pulisic enough to get a read on his game. You see it all the time in sport: the first time through there is the advantage of the unknown. The second time around that advantage is lessened as the opposition has made the necessary adjustments. That's when the real tale of the tape begins. As it's a team sport, the makeup of your side goes a long way in determining how that shakes out. What have we learned about Pulisic (and Dortmund) as last year's euphoria has subsided and his (their) "true" face has been revealed?

I'm not knocking CP who is already an excellent footballer. With success however comes expectation. CP will need to raise his bar to keep pace with those expectations, justified or not.

HartwickFan repped this.
  23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Correct, more like Tuchel's 343 position for Pulisic in CL games. Pissek (he left the "c"in his name at home today) takes the more outside area, even in the attacking third and Pulisic lurks closer to the box. I'm trying to remember last time Piscek passed to Pulisic.

24. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm guessing that's #4. Last time he shut down Pulisic on the other side. Now they put him in Sancho's territory. He is really good.

25. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He has to cut inside 50% of the time. He showed some moves in that direction but far too few. Stoger is thinking along similar lines because he had Piscek occupy the wide areas.

p.s. Personally, I'd like to see him go to Arsenal before Jan 31.