Pulisic (starts) - BVB vs. Apoel Nicosia, UCL 10/17

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by FirstStar, Oct 17, 2017.

1. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    should have been a storybook ending for our boy and Auba ********ing blows it. Far post dude, far ********ing post.

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Actually Gudiño touched the Kagawa shot, barely. Good save. He's been better than Bürki, but then the Swiss has been quite poor.

3. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Until the last 5 sec of the game when CP dribbled 60 yds and hit a great cross on target to Aubameyang whose header was blocked by post and keeper with the rebound kicked over by Bartra.

HartwickFan repped this.
  4. Beastmode21

Beastmode21 Member+

United States
    Jan 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    80, 80 yards...

HartwickFan repped this.
  5. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I were superstitious I wouldn't turn another game on until the World Cup at this point. :-|

lmorin, HartwickFan and Suyuntuy repped this.
  6. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    That was an incredible cross given that he had just beat 5 guys over 60 yards on a dead sprint. Auba has to put that away.

HartwickFan and Ironbound repped this.
  7. CA23

CA23 Member

Jan 9, 2015
    I thought for sure that last hoorah was going in, so close.

HartwickFan repped this.
  8. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    dortmund looked so much more dangerous with pulisic on the ball, especially after he moved to the right.

I don't think the problem is specifically missing dembele, as much as it is the fact that they replaced him with a super-slow player in yarmolenko. combined with goetze, their attack is just too slow, and doesn't have any width. they desperately need more speed in their attack.

madvillain repped this.
  9. shotcallin04

shotcallin04 Member

Feb 12, 2008
    Pulisic simply didn’t play well today. No one really did.

10. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pulisic was the best Dortmund player on the field today, don't know what game you watched.

11. shotcallin04

shotcallin04 Member

Feb 12, 2008
    Try reading what I said again, and you’ll see why your response is an example of a strawman argument.

12. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm fairly certain some bigger club is going to be saying that to him soon.

13. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've gotten used to watching "Pulisitch" when the Brits are doing commentary, but today was the first match for "Weegle" and there was even a few minutes cameo by "Pusilitch". Where do they get these guys?

I wouldn't have been so irritated if Auba had finished that last ball. BVB is really toast when he's having one of these off days. Isak certainly isn't the answer. They need a #2 striker and a reliable keeper in January if they expect to stay near the top of the table.

orcrist and shotcallin04 repped this.
  14. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just disagree with the fact that Pulisic didn't play well today. Weigl was good too. This was one of the cleanest games I've seen from Pulisic, and he was a level above his teammates today on the offensive end.

15. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Our boy has to finish that volley. Plain and simple. From 4 yards away he doesn’t even get the side netting. If we want him to be the best player and “too good for BVB” he has to bury that.

HartwickFan, shotcallin04 and FirstStar repped this.
  16. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    I dunno about that it was a really tough angle and he had a defender draped all over him. I don't think many non strikers put that chance away.

17. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was tough, but if he wants to be world class, he has to finish it. That's what world class players do when their team is facing certain elimination from the Champions League.

He's young yet.

HartwickFan and wixson7 repped this.
  18. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    Ok, well Auba is in the same boat then. High expecations I get but at 19 he's not world class. If he's missing those at 24 get back to me.

19. shotcallin04

shotcallin04 Member

Feb 12, 2008
    That’s fine. Reasonable minds can disagree. He had a few bright moments, but not enough in my opinion. Here are the things I can recall off the top of my head:

- Mishit the volley at the end, and skied a shot over the bar after APOEL scored.
    - Struggled to get his crosses off - they were blocked multiple times - and the ones he did hit were mostly to no one aside from the cross at the end and one that found Kagawa in the first half. I believe both of those crosses were with his right, so maybe he’s not comfortable crossing with his left?
    - He didn’t combine well with his teammates. My stream was a little grainy, but I think he had a nice little interplay with Schmelzer on the short corner that led to a goal. Aside from that, the ball stuck to his foot a little too much. I can’t recall a single time that he and Auba connected. His teammates seem to get stagnant when he has the ball, and that’s telling.
    - He struggled in pressing the advantages he created when dribbling past defenders. He gets credit for dangerous dribbling, but he has to be more creative in finding teammates after beating the first defender. He seems to take 3-4 more touches before making simple square passes after the defense has already rotated and recovered.

On the Kicker scale, I’d rate him about a 3.5 or 4. On a day where Dortmund needed more spark, Pulisic missed an opportunity to be the one to provide it.

wixson7 and HartwickFan repped this.
  20. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with your point about his crosses, and I think he's comfortable with low crosses, but once he needs to get it into the air with some spin, that's where his left fails him.

It's just my opinion, but it seemed like a lot of the times his teammates didn't play it back to him when he wanted it. With the US he's used to players deferring to his judgement and always feeding him for 1-2s, but Kagawa and Auba both ignored him a lot of times. It feels like they've been drilled to look for balls over the top, but Apoel's line was so deep that that was useless, and the sequences that start with CP dribbling often ended with another player choosing to look for the direct pass over the top rather than let CP try some more magic.

adi21 repped this.
  21. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I pretty much agree with this, although I'd rate him a 3 because he redeemed himself at the end. Also, for whatever reason, none of the Dortmund players succeeded with the final passes. Just weird. Too soft; delayed too long; blocked; intercepted. Kicker ratings should range from 6+ (Burki) to 3 (CP).

22. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya, he's a world class 19 yr old who we want to be 26 with all the years and experience to go with it. He's going to be scary good.

HartwickFan repped this.
  23. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    This is the Pulisic thread, not the Auba fan thread. Personally don't care one didly about Auba, nor using him as a comparator to CP.

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I have to say, CP is proving me wrong in one way: he has started providing the killer pass. Now he needs to team up with someone who knows what to do with the killer pass...

Dortmund just don't seem to be a Europe team this year.

HartwickFan repped this.
  25. shotcallin04

shotcallin04 Member

Feb 12, 2008
    What is Aubameyang, chopped liver? Dembele was able to get 20+ assists last campaign with largely the same group of teammates. Pulisic needs to show he can produce with this group. In the meantime, he’s in a great environment for his continued development.

HartwickFan, wixson7 and onefineesq repped this.