Pulisic: Monaco v Borussia Dortmund, Champions League. 4/19

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by wixson7, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is Dembele central and Puli out wide, pretty terrible lineup selection both games and amateur tactics....really poor from TT

TimB4Last and Gacm32 repped this.
  2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Dembele is a total competitor. He knows the worse he makes Pulisic look, the better he shines by comparison. And he and Auba have a bromance going.

3. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the second time in 3 games I've seen Dembele actually *block* CP while he cuts inside dribbling, forcing him to lay off even though he didn't want to :-(

4. mckersive

mckersive Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This match will just fuel the Dembele hates Pulisic meme.

wixson7 repped this.
  5. salvikicks

salvikicks Member+

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel that way and it sounds cynical but that's how it feels sometimes.

orcrist repped this.
  6. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How could it not?

7. mckersive

mckersive Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Up to now, I could chalk it up to Dembele not having rightsided vision, but now he just made it clear.

8. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this. Christian's attitude seems to be just what you would want, Dembele's.... not so much.

If I were a manager, I know which type of player I would want on my squad.

As it relates to the game, disappointing result obviously. With what happened last week, and the poor lineup selection tonight, it just wasn't to be. Taking nothing away from Monaco though, they are a fun team to watch.

9. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And there Dembele skies something that should have been a give-and-go.

10. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The question is, why would he. The guy is insanely talented, loved by Tuchel, and is killing it this year. The lens through which we are looking at this is entirely narrow and Yank colored.
    But I'm buying CP a jersey on the back of which says " He Hate Me"

Gacm32 and wixson7 repped this.
  11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Well, it's the same in many jobs. The moment you don't pay attention, you're getting sabotaged. The Human Condition and all that.

12. salvikicks

salvikicks Member+

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still impressed by Pulisic's off the ball movement

13. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone who thinks Dembele is better than Pulisic doesnt know sht about the game....dude is like a homerun hitter in baseball, he's terrible 85% of the game but every once in a while hits a dinger. Kid can not play central, has zero touch on his pass and makes bad decisions. His selfish play leads to a lot of counters. He needs to stay on the wing no doubt. Pulisic is a much more rounded player

14. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I don't think anyone literally means "hate".
    It's just that Dembele plays as if he is playing *against* CP, or against him shining, anyway. Those 2 *blocks* stick in my mind more than the lack of passing. He has twice *forced* CP to lay off to him.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    In Stuttgart Insua managed to get Green benched by completely ignoring him. Here, Dembele & Auba are half way there. I know, I know, Yank Paranoia lulz nads & we're getting our posts in the GWOS. But, come on. Our boy had to try it alone in the end.

16. mckersive

mckersive Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TT overthought the starting line up. Perhaps he was going to play rope-a-dope hoping for 0-1 1st half and putting on the offensive substitutions to go for it in the second.

17. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Why should Dembele have anything against Pulisic? The narratives we write to make the world fit our own biases is amazing.

How about letting our narrative fit the world instead of doing it the other way around?
    Yep. I can see how Trump won with some of the weird arguments being made in here. Dembele is doing great this year. There is nothing in it for him to put bad tape out there. It's not like his teamplay isn't being evaluated by scouts or management for other, better teams. He is a selfish player but I doubt he is out to get Pulisic. He might not have any personal interest in seeing CP22 build his stats over another player in particular but that's another conversation.

Gacm32 and Mario Balotelli repped this.
  18. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    Dembele vs Pulisic physical gifts = Push
    Dembele vs Pulisic tactical knowledge = Pulisic by a mile

Game was sewn up, I get that... But Pulisic was still looking for a way through with teammates whereas Dembele was all about Dembele. Dembele frustrates the hell out of me with his inconsistency from match to match in regards to involving the team buildup one game and then the "me" buildup the next. Ugh!

Anyway, BVB defense is the weak link, as it's been all season. Tuchel makes me scratch my head with his tactics and lineup choice.

19. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I put it on Tuchel that in mid April, Dembele is being put centrally and still blind as a bat to that right flank.

Should have been solved months ago if you're going to put Dembele there. If he can't pick out basic wide open runs, he has no business centrally.

Tuchel completely F'd this game from the start though, as he did with Bayern on the weekend.

20. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Dembele is much more effective as an attacking player and an objectively better player. Whether the second part will always be the case is a good debate but there is no basis to claim Pulisic is a better player. Get over it.

Nonsensical fanboyism.

wixson7 repped this.
  21. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Your opinion now=objective? Hahahahahahah

22. salvikicks

salvikicks Member+

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know i'm bias but to me Pulisic seems to be 2-3 plays ahead and wants that combination play. Not saying Dembele can't be he's always trying to take on 2-3 players by himself when a simple pass would be enough.

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    So Pulisic sucks & will be with the Chicago Fire in 2019. Got it.

24. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dembele doesn't dislike Pulisic. He just is demonstrating an unfortunate limiting factor in his game which, unless things change, will have a large negative impact on his career.

Bruce S repped this.
  25. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    I can post stats if you want. Is that what you'd like? There is no rational basis to claim Pulisic is a batter player. If you have a more objective rationale than numbers I'd love to hear it.

Good luck.