Puertorican soccer - partII

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by Intru, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    The team has dominated local league teams complatly.

2. artstrek98

artstrek98 New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Re: Puerto Rican Soccer

Latest News!!!

Boyz top P'Rico
    Winning start for U-20s in World Cup Qualifiers
    LIVINGSTON SCOTT, Observer staff reporter, in the Cayman Islands
    Thursday, July 24, 2008

GEORGETOWN, Grand Cayman - Jamaica opened their first round Under-20 World Cup qualifiers with a 1-0 win over Puerto Rico as Group B action kicked off at the Truman Bodden Sport Complex in the Cayman Islands yesterday.

Ramone Palmer netted the game's only goal, scoring from an unselfish pass from Alanzo Adlam in the 34th minute as the Jamaicans secured three valuable points.

"When I watched the Puerto Rico team yesterday (Tuesday), I predicted that it was going to be a difficult game. They are an organised team, a quality team that is technically good and physically they had the advantage," noted head coach Alfredo Montesso.

"But we were composed, we passed the ball a lot and that created some openings and it was a good team effort from our players," he added.

Puerto Rico's Brazilian coach, Charles Gatinho, said he was not overly disappointed with the result and he added that he was confident that his team would advance.

"It was a good result, because the goal Jamaica scored was the only difference. But the rest of the game was pretty level," he said.

Jamaica created the first chance of the match after 12 minutes, when Andre Clennon forced a diving save from Christiana Meija in Puerto Rica's goal.

They continued to look the better team after the first quarter-of-an-hour, but the Puerto Ricans had a good chance to level the scores in the 20th minute, but Wilfred Cotto's tame effort from 12 yards was easily handled by Andre Blake in the Jamaican goal.

After 30 minutes the Boyz continued to have the better off play, but were finding scoring opportunities difficult.
    But in the last 15 minutes of the first half, the game opened up and the Boyz had four great opportunities to score, but only took advantage of one.

In the 33rd minute, Clennon lifted the ball over the cross bar from four yards after a perfectly-weighted cross from Palmer.

However, Palmer put the Boyz ahead a minute later when Adlam stole possession and with only Meija and a defender to beat, set up the midfielder, who slotted home from about the penalty spot.

Five minutes before the break, Clennon and Adlam combined to rob the Puerto Rican defence, but Clennon failed to beat the advancing Meija from inside the area.
    Then in the 45th minute, Romario Campbell sent the striker clear on goal with a through pass, but this time he shot wide of the target.

After the break, Clennon came closest to increasing the score, but his header from a Levaughn Williams cross just went wide.

The fleet-footed Williams then forced the Puerto Rican custodian to parry a fierce shot across the face of his goal two minutes later.

The Jamaicans play their next game against the Bahamas tomorrow. At half-time last night, the Bahamas were tied 0-0 with hosts Cayman Islands.

Teams:

Jamaica - Andre Blake, Andre Campbell, Levaughn Williams, Ramone Palmer, Alanzo Adlam (Shavon Brown 70th), Romario Campbell, Davian Thorpe (Yannick Salmon 75th), Andre Clennon, Theo Brown, Keithy Simpson, Andre Darby.

Booked: Andre Campbell (36th)

Subs not used: Andre Steele, Romeo Parkes, Sean Fogah,
    Dennis Taylor, Damaine Thompson.

Puerto Rico - Christian Mejia, Steven Enrichs, Anthony Vasques, Wilfred Cotto, Christopher Fiegenbaum (Alberto Reigo 78th), Antonio Pacheco, Fernado Gonzalez (Javier Fiol 73rd), Joel Rodriguez, Richard Pardo, Andres Cabrero, Nicholos Ramirez.

Booked: C Fiegenbaum (60th)

Subs not used: Gabriel Negron, Jerry Luna, Mauel Mazo, Jorge Padial.

Referee: Sandy Vasquez (Dominican Republic)
    Assistant Referees: Alberto Castillo, Jose Luis Jarquin (Dominican Republic)

Fourth Official: Francisco Bautista (Dominican Republic)

Match Commissary: Boris Punch (Trinidad & Tobago)

Referee Inspector: Luis Yero (Cuba)

3. artstrek98

artstrek98 New Member

Dec 26, 2005

Friday, Puerto Rico beat Cayman 3-2. Next up on Sunday is Bermuda. PR can go thru as the 2nd place team if it wins. Cayman and Bermuda tied 0-0. Jamaica beat Cayman 4-0. Good Luck Boricuas!

4. artstrek98

artstrek98 New Member

Dec 26, 2005

update: Bermuda 2 PR 1.

5. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway

Could somebody confirm if Puerto Rico NT played Haiti NT in Orlando on Sunday 27 ? Losing 5-0 ?

6. I-Got-The-BLUES

May 1, 2006
    Orlando, Florida.
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica

If so, that was really kept quiet considering the amount of Haitians and Puerto Ricans down here...

7. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway

Haiti played a match on Sunday in Orlando , but not against Puerto Rico.

8. I-Got-The-BLUES

May 1, 2006
    Orlando, Florida.
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica

Yea, I was just searching, Haiti and Puerto Rico played in Port St. Lucia, and from what I gather it was a Orlando squad that took on Haiti. 0-0 the apparent scoreline.

9. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    great activity here
    keep it up.......the original thread is close, due to server capacity in bigsoccer.

10. El Daly

El Daly Member

May 28, 2006
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    En verdad que esto si que no lo entiendo.:eek: You are telling me that multiples thread is better for the server. Sorry my friend, but you already destroy one best commented thread on the Caribbean section and the most viewed. I hope you do the same in other threads to keep safe the server. :mad:

11. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    yeap

administrator and owner of the site, requested from Mods to close threads between 500 and 600 posts
    most mods go for 500

is not like you had lost part I, just used the link provided and carry on!!!
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285665

they just want to prevent a crash, like the one couple of seasons ago....:(

12. santeroatomico

santeroatomico New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston
  13. artstrek98

artstrek98 New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Does anyone know enough about the PR men's U-20 team to analyze their recent performance in Cayman?

14. artstrek98

artstrek98 New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Actually a contributor to this site was on the team, Jerry. Jerry, how was your experience?

15. arsenlmc58

arsenlmc58 New Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    What's next up for the PR national team, anything on the schedule for the rest of this year or the beginning of next year?

16. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Hey, anybody from Puerto Rico able to help me find a result from the 1986 Juegos Centroamericanos y del Caribe in Dominican Republic?

25 Jun Cuba 4-0 Puerto Rico
    30 Jun Mexico XI 4-0 Puerto Rico
    2 Jul Bahamas ?-? Puerto Rico

17. artstrek98

artstrek98 New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    How successful has been the PR professional league? What is the average salary? What is the attendance?

18. artstrek98

artstrek98 New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    brothers & sisters---i think pr futbol is in trouble... the upswing bythe pr national teams was led by coach carlos avedesian. true the adult men and the u-20s had different coaches at the end but carlos laid the foundation. now carlos has been offed with no successor in sight. what is going on???

19. DaSage

DaSage New Member

Oct 27, 2008
    San Juan Puerto Rico
    I think next year we will se a restructuration of the FPF... but if those allegations are true, which I have not heard anything in the local newspapers or football information sites, its probably because he's contract expired. He'll probably be renewed again next year.

20. artstrek98

artstrek98 New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    I wish I was wrong and the coach's contract was being renewed but I am not. The ugly head of soccer politics has been uncovered to the light. Do us a service and call the press secretary and ask about the coach's status. Then we'll see.

21. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    I heard that Carlos working with the Islanders youth teams. If so he just move on to greener pastures.

O and i have good news the Boca Albergue and PR Capitals where reanstated into the federation.

22. artstrek98

artstrek98 New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    The most recent news is that Carlos has been let go and has left the island. The federacion says it didn't have the money to continue to pay him. Now only the men's national team is active. Meanwhile all of the other teams, i.e., boys and girls u-15, u-17, and u-20 teams, are dormant. This is a bunch of crap. If this were socal a delegation of team supporters would approach the Bacardi Corp. and others to solicit contributions. Carlos wasn't paid that much--with a little efffort, the money could have been raised. Now all of the gains made under Carlos may be lost!!!

23. santeroatomico

santeroatomico New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston
    As a manager I can tell you is not that easy.

24. hubermatos

hubermatos New Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Club:
    Gefle IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Cuba
    Its a shame that Puerto Rico didnt participate in the Gold Cup Qualifying. Im sure the excuse that is they dont have money.If the federation really wanted them to go they would have found ways to get sponsors.
    Typical Puerto Rican federation fashion. They go up and down. Never consistent when it comes to support.

25. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Hey guys, I have a question for my Puerto Rico friends. I might be heading over to the Island to try-out for some clubs, but I was wondering if I needed a passport to go and come back? or could I just show my drivers license? Any info will be greatly appreciated.