Puerto Rico

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by American Brummie, Sep 24, 2017.

1. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the short term, donate.

In the long term, call your members of Congress and demand statehood or independence. Puerto Rico is being ignored because it has no real voice in Congress or in the UN.

********wit shithead Trump can rag on the NFL all he wants. Him ignoring the plight of our fellow citizens is damning.

luftmensch, Boloni86, bungadiri and 4 others repped this.
  2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The territories are regularly ********ed over and forgotten. It scares me how many people don't understand not only are there territories, but they are full citizens. Unfortunately, part of the problem is the power outages make it more difficult to show how disastrous the situation is to people. The shithead needs pictures.

Boloni86 and Gamecock14 repped this.
  3. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Flint, Michigan

bungadiri, Gamecock14, dapip and 2 others repped this.
  4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Hillary Clinton tweeted what should be happening and provided a visual...

People don't respond to stuff like this

but they may respond to this

soccernutter repped this.
  5. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    The dear leader of the free world said that he would visit and bring messages of joy and relief.

I had the biggest inauguration day crowd ever, period.

We will build a great wall ........and Mexico will pay.

Words of (the best words) of inspiration to Puerto Rico.

6. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6 NORML, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    I heard the Governor of PR on NPR before Maria hit and he said the Federal gov't, FEMA and the military has been very helpful. Has that changed?

7. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Remember when you said that you'll shoot me when I start climbing your hill? Puerto Ricans are coming my way. What is your advise?

In a less sarcastic note, this should be a great opportunity to reorganize the island finances and to invest a lot of money rebuilding their infrastructure to be more environmentally friendly and more ready for storms. The investment should be relatively small, and the benefits great, like employing a lot of people and kick-starting the local economy.

It should be a no-brainer, the Republican congress should be drafting proposals to condone debt and invest money in Puerto Rico. Instead, they're writing more healthcare bills that they can't pass.

8. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    One of the items that led to the decline of Puerto Rico's economy was the end of a manufacturing tax benefit that company got who were there. This I believe happened during the Bush 43 administration. Didn't Republicans know they were supposed to love corporations?

9. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    One of my co-workers still hasn't heard from her family in PR. She must be going crazy.

sitruc and dapip repped this.
  10. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Why do so many people admire Trump for caring only about himself? Since when did obliviousness become a good thing?

dapip repped this.
  11. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Greed is good.

12. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
  13. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    As the hurricane hit and I didn't see the Trump "war room" assembled, I expected this.

sitruc repped this.
  14. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I strongly doubt most Trumpalos get that Puerto Ricans are actual Americans and I know for sure that they're not understood to be Real Americans.

russ, Boloni86 and dapip repped this.
  15. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Not the actual quote from the movie, but better than the actual quote. Most "quotes" are like that, actually. Ingrid Bergman never says "Play it again, Sam" in Casablanca. True that.

American Brummie repped this.
  16. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's a Casablanca?

Cop Shoot Cop repped this.
  17. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get the Trump hate but some of you really should look for alternative news sources instead of just listening to those that want to use Puerto Rico to bash Trump.

http://www.startribune.com/damage-in-puerto-rico-strains-relief-efforts-by-agencies/447212693/

The total devastation. Only around 200 of the 1500 cell towers are still functional making communication difficult. It is an island among many that have been destroyed making it even more difficult to reach quickly.

And then Clinton decided to use it to gain political points and was dead f*cking wrong. We are using the military to aid Puerto Rico. She is a f*cking *sshole for suggesting otherwise.

[​IMG]

Please note the bottom left, those figures were from September 22.

As much as some of you bitched about things being taken out of context or were just lies when your guy was in office, you are doing the same now.

This shouldn't be an event to score political points from. Anyone that does is a complete *sshole.

According to FEMA, the response has been the same for Texas and Lousiana, Florida and now our Caribbean islands. That is in the link I posted if any of you bother to read it.

ceezmad and NORML repped this.
  18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    ******** Clinton for recognizing a problem and wanting a greater humanitarian response. FEMA is doing what they're hopefully expected to do. The military response could and likely should have been farther ahead of the storm and not in response to it. Especially monetarily, it's difficult to say there is an enough of a response right now in the short term and especially in the long term. At the very least, fortunately the former Presidents have expanded the One America Appeal fund to also support Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.

Remember the concern about assisted living in Florida without power?

//the date on post-hurricane photo is a day off

soccernutter repped this.
  19. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stanger, your children are going to grow up in a world where two or three of these hurricanes will hit a year. My grandchildren are going to grow up in a world where Miami is always referred to in the past tense. The time for scoring political points on this is gone. The time for action is here. Naming and shaming politicians for not acting on the biggest threat to humanity in its entire history - not hyperbole - is a reasonable approach to getting the government to act.

I agree - FEMA's problem isn't that they aren't doing their jobs. It's that FEMA is budgeted for one major hurricane a year and they got three. It's poor planning. If only we had united government to realign priorities around fixing problems...

luftmensch repped this.
  20. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No -- DoD is doing a ton of work. They've actually been at it 24/7 since Harvey hit the Gulf Coast.

Boloni86 and NORML repped this.
  21. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We haven't had a major hurricane make landfall in the last 9 years. I'm not debating climate change and I'm not defending Trump's stance. The posts I am talking about are criticizing Trump's response. Feel free to tear him apart on his climate change stance but that is not what I am talking about.

This is not a Katrina-type response issue.

22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do realize she was calling out 45 for not saying anything about how ********ed up PR is right now. He spoke on Texas, and visited. He spoke on Florida and visited, where he has a home. He had a meeting at Camp David to discuss how to respond to Harvey and Irma. But Puerto Rico, where there are Spanish speaking brown people? He doesn't care for brown people (I'm not being hyperbolic). Clinton is calling him out.

And what political points is she scoring?

sitruc and dapip repped this.
  23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is not equal in comparison because Katrina was the first (?) major hurricane to land in 2005. But Bush was all over it, trying to resolve it, even though it was ********ed up. It was bad planning on the admin's part, basically because of inexperience from the FEMA side.

That is not the case for FEMA this time. It is the one area where they have a guy who knows what he is doing. But do the rest of us really know what is going on? Do the people of PR? What has 45 tweeted in support/hope for the people of PR? Nothing. He has said almost nothing before, and nothing after. He has not indicated that he is thinking about the people, that he cares about them. PR is his Katrina.

sitruc repped this.
  24. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Jesus. Don't get Stanger going on his Hillary Hate theme again. We've suffered years of this Trump like single minded snide remarks.

What about those emails....!

25. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    [​IMG]

Woot?

ToMhIlL and sitruc repped this.