Puerto Rico FC News

Discussion in 'Puerto Rico FC' started by brentgoulet, May 6, 2015.

1. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    and now this tweet

Fútbol Puerto Rico‏@FutbolPR_
    Carmelo Anthony podría revivir a los Islanders. Primera Hora dice que ya se reunió con el alcalde.

[​IMG]

I know his dad is portorican

2. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Whats the rough translation of the main details of the article?

3. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Carmelo could revive the PR Islanders. The primera hora newspaper sez he already had talks with the maire.

According to what Primera Hora found out, the basketball player is interested in buying a soccer franchise on the island

Prosoccercdn repped this.
  4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does not say specifically the islanders. The paper just says that name should not be discarded.

5. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Does NASL really need a Puerto Rican team? Another US city can easily fill the void IMO, unless they simply move the team from PR to an American city.

6. crazy al

crazy al Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, I think the article is correct. Cigars may be the reason for the trip. Also, I think there is a greater chance of Havana getting an NASL franchise before PR. And that really saddens me.

7. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
  8. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Carmelo has been in Pr visiting the Bayamon Football training facility and the stadium the Islanders used to play in. He met with the former president of the Islanders and suposedly said he wants to invest along with others to bring the Islanders back and get them into the NASL.

PR already has the stadium and the facilities.

9. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    That would be a less risky investment as he would have partners and an already established brand. It would be nice for PR Islanders to do well either in NASL or a future Caribbean league. Their traveling costs would be expensive for their road trips but then again Montreal Impact have a similar issue.

10. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    #12 Dr. Know, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
    Yeah I recall in the USL they would have to travel to Vancouve and Portland(before the Timbers were in the MLS) and then back to PR. Just to travel again to Rocherster NY and stuff like that. PR to Vancouver is a damn long flight. Still we won the USL and did pretty good in te concacaf tournament even beating Mexican clubs.

People here still love the Islanders, hell the small trian system we have one of the stops is right in front of the stadium.

With good backing like Melo and other investors the team could come back.

USAsports6 repped this.
  11. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Not completely correct

''Lo que sí tiene claro el jugador de los Knicks es que su equipo no llevaría la bandera de los Islanders''

But no doubt that Bayamon has an excellent SSS

12. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    I read something different in the biggest local paper and the former president of the Islanders said he met with him aand were trying to make it happen. There is no reason to make a different team if the Islanders brand is already known. At the peak Islanders games would get packed and the fact that the train stops right at the stadium is a big advantage.

13. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    That president still owns the Islanders TM so Carmelo would have to buy him out or let him be part of the ''new'' franchise.

But you are right of course, the Islanders brand is pretty well known so it would be a good idea to use it.

14. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Well Carmelo never said he wants to buy the team. He said he wanted to invest in a footy team in PR. Since he met with the former president of the Islanders I imagine he wants to invest to bring back that team.

If he wants to own and create another team to maybe make the NASL that's something different. But that would make no buisiness sense and would be way more difficult.

15. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    The Isalders represented the USL better than most other teams in the league in International competitions. They even gave their games on Fox Sports vs top Mexican teams.

As I said PR already has a stadium to hold a NASL team. They just need backing and if the Carmelo thing is true they'll have it. Aside from many local spomsors and others.

brentgoulet repped this.
  16. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
  17. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Interesting, hope it's true but I haven't seen anything in the local papers.

18. crazy al

crazy al Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It appears to be official. Puerto Rico FC will begin its NASL campaign July 2016. I am looking forward to following this franchise. It will interested to see the make up of the coaching staff and team as it moves forward. Unlikely, they will represent PR in the 2016 Caribbean Club Cup, but you don't know. With CONCACAF in such a mess, there may be an opening for them if they are ready to play. Playing in Caribbean competition would be a great way for this new franchise to start. Here is to PRFC having a success in all competition!!

19. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Great news. It's amazing that the websites of local papers have updated news about the Copa America and not even one article about this.

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sucks that it was not the Islanders but oh well good luck to them.

21. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Same colors, same stadium, but a different name ;)

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI

The plan is rename this forum to PR FC, just as soon as I can get a Admin to listen to me.

The One X repped this.