Puerto Rico chief whistleblower in FIFA scandal

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by MightyMouse, May 30, 2011.

1. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wanted to clear this up for anyone not informed or thinking that Puerto Rico took the bribes and sat idle. I keep getting crap from people who do not research telling me PR were bribe takers... WRONG!

The Puerto Rico Football Federation, headed by former island Sports & Recreation Secretary Eric Labrador, appears to have been among the recipients and a chief whistleblower in the case.
    FIFA’s secretary general Jerome Valcke announced Sunday that the Puerto Rico Football Federation sent him an email confirming it had received $40,000 but had brought a check to Switzerland to return the money.

Valcke said Puerto Rico’s email proved that bribes had been handed out at the May meeting in Trinidad.

LINK:

http://www.caribbeanbusinesspr.com/news03.php?nt_id=57902&ct_id=1

2. --X--

--X-- New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Good stuff.

Everyone will be jumping the sinking ship now and Q22 will be fully exposed;)

3. MightyMouse

Jun 19, 2003
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm actually quite shocked honestly, I mean, I am from Puerto Rico but this is just so well played it astonishes me!!! :D

4. iride_mybike

iride_mybike Member

Mar 31, 2004
    DFW
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brought a check? So basically pocketed the cash and came up with a check when they found out s was about to hit the fan?

5. BSGuy321

BSGuy321 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    The PR FA played Warner beautifully imo. Absolute beauty.

Good job!

6. BSGuy321

BSGuy321 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Had they not done it that way, then we would be back to simply PR FA's word against Warner's. Warner's denial wont suffice this time.

This time we have incontrovertible evidence he provided the cash, it was deposited into an account, and then returned.

PR FA played it masterfully.

Warner is done. And he knows it.

7. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There also could have been a delay because the Puerto Rico FA had to file their own reports with the FBI before they could notify FIFA. The conspiracy originated in Miami and resulted in the bribery of a U.S. based non-profit organization. It doesn't matter that the bribe was physically handed out in Trinidad, U.S. laws may still have been broken.

8. MightyMouse

Jun 19, 2003
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hate to say this, but it is US law that is scaring FIFA away and probably why the US lost to... QATAR...

What I am saying is they can't do business as usual in the USA where in other countries they get the royal carpet treatment and luggage full of cash.

9. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually a good thing...

Now idict all those mofos and arrest them the minute they land in the USA...

No more Vacations in America will make them think twice..!!

And they can ban the USA all they want...but it's OUR MONEY and the FANS of AMERICA that keep that penny ante outfit going...!!

10. madmatt621

madmatt621 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not allowed to travel with more than $9,999 in cash. You can travel with $9,999, but no more than that.

11. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The U.S. government can do a fair amount more than that too. If for some reason this spurred the Department of Justice to action they could freeze all of CONCACAF's assets as part of an illegal enterprise.

In April the U.S. Attorney General went after on-line poker websites that were incorporated in the Caribbean and froze billions in assets. http://news.bluffmagazine.com/doj-charges-three-major-online-poker-sites-with-fraud-20133/. If CONCACAF officials ever reached a level of criminal corruption that touches upon U.S. borders and spurred action by the U.S. Attorney General then the confederation would be penniless overnight.

12. Silenti

Silenti Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Kansas City, Mo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not true. You simply must declare it. Further, you can just fill out the form and there are warehouses full of unscrutinized forms sitting around.

13. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    You are correct in saying that they could go after CONCACAF given this went down on US soil...in theory. The question is, "Would they even bother?"

Online gambling is one thing. We're talking about billions of dollars there. This is bribery that doesn't directly impact the US government or its general business interests totalling a couple hundred K at most. The economic incentive to drop the hammer just isn't there. It's not like US corporations don't pay this kind of money to local politicians in places like China, India, the ME, and Russia all the time to grease the wheels on new factory construction.