Puerto Rican Soccer

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by artstrek98, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Info sobre el Club Millonario, jeje no no es el de argentina sino el de Ponce :)

PONCE.- La temible franja roja cruzada que ha aterrorizado equipos de fútbol de todo el continente sudamericano buscará hacer lo propio en Puerto Rico y Estados Unidos, y para ello comenzó esta semana la búsqueda de jugadores para participar en la Liga Premier boricua, primer paso para entrar el próximo año en la United Soccer League (USL).

El River Plate Puerto Rico, club afiliado al clásico equipo argentino que cuenta con la mayor cantidad de trofeos en la historia del campeonato gaucho, inició sus trabajos el miércoles pasado en la urbanización Villa del Carmen de Ponce con la búsqueda de los 25 jugadores sureños mayores de 17 años que puedan formar el combinado para la Liga Premier de este año.

Más de un centenar de aspirantes se dio cita a la convocatoria, por lo que Steven Álvarez, presidente del River Plate Puerto Rico, reconoció su sorpresa y se mostró complacido con el talento que vio.

El River Plate Puerto Rico decidió no entrar este año a la USL porque quiere usar este año como preparación al desafío que representará entrar a la USL. La Liga Premier, que cuenta con 10 clubes entre los que se encuentran los históricos Don Bosco y Academia Quintana, servirá entonces como laboratorio para definir el talento del onceno, que cuenta con todo el respaldo del legendario River Plate en Argentina.

“La dirigencia del River Plate nos ha dado todo su apoyo y aquí en Ponce esperamos ver aún más participantes en las prácticas”, expresó Álvarez a PRIMERA HORA.

El equipo contará con el experimentado Raúl Markovich como director técnico, quien ha dirigido algunos de los clubes más destacados de América del Sur.

Álvarez destacó que con el inicio de las prácticas ha comenzado a hacerse realidad su sueño de crear el River Plate en la ciudad de los Leones, lo que es, a su vez, un logro histórico por ser el primer equipo profesional en crear una franquicia fuera de su confederación, la CONMEBOL. Resaltó la curiosidad de que los colores del River Plate, rojo, negro y blanco, son los mismos usados por los equipos de la “Ciudad Señorial”.

En su esfuerzo, asegura, cuenta con el respaldo del alcalde de Ponce, Francisco Zayas Seijo, y del propio presidente de la Federación Internacional de Fútbol Asociado (FIFA), el suizo Joseph Blatter.

El presidente de la Federación Puertorriqueña de Fútbol, Joe Serralta, mencionó que el River Plate Puerto Rico ayudará en la formación de nuevos atletas para establecer en un futuro una selección que permita mejorar la presencia de Puerto Rico a nivel internacional.

“Esta franquicia va a establecer escuelas de fútbol y necesitamos llegar a esos fundamentos, hacerlo parte del DNA de Puerto Rico”, sostuvo Serralta a PRIMERA HORA.

2. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    From the Islanders and River Plate, and maybe the Villareal and Valencia school if that ever come to complition, is where we gona get de future stars of Puerto Rican futbol. Armas is a old fart and we should really move that into the past and move foward.

3. hura

hura Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Bayamón, Puerto Rico
    The mess still there, a huge pile of garbage. The soccer leadership in Puerto Rico can't get alone, sad.

Melo: His mother is African-American, and his father was Puerto Rican

4. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Blame frigcomar and there group they dont do anything other than complain and stop everything that tries to make soccer good here.

5. hura

hura Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Bayamón, Puerto Rico
    There is no way you can blame Fraigcomar for the huge mess the soccer fed is on. I said the soccer leadership, that is the clubs president, fed official, etc. When the fed start issuing the financial statements on time, no three years behind… when the fed convene the annual meeting according to the statutes (2 years without one…) when the fed stop fighting with a small recreational league in Country Club for the use of the park, etc. A lot of negative things are going on and no light at the end of the tunnel. Tell me, when was the last time the PR National Team play, even a friendly… when was the last fed sponsor tourney, etc, etc… We need a Carlos Beltran, and not the baseball player, to take us out of this sinkhole. Soccer is been play in PR like crazy, we have the foundation, is time to build…

PD: I’m not in any way related to Fraigcomar, as a matter of fact my two sons are on the Islanders Soccer Academy, and proud of it.

6. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Other than youth lvl last time they played was 2004. Im not saying does problems where cause by frigcomar, but they are help perpetuated by the like of them cause they are from the old order of thing. I know this fed has been slow to do much about the problem, and the Country Club thing I like the field and have played there several times in scrimmages I dont know why their not allowing clubs play but I imagine its so that te field dost get ********ed up by little kids, but whos gona use it if the youth club are gone and the national team hasnt been called in 2 years I dont know.

7. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Will Puerto Rico play in the World Cup qualifiers 2010 ?

8. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Where they said they would but the only team that has been called for training is the Sub -20 and youth lvl. I cant say what they are trying to do.

9. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
  10. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Intru, that says absolutely nothing about Puerto Rico, what did you see there?

11. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Yes its har to notice but its there,

"The Executive Committee received reports of current and upcoming CONCACAF events including news that all 35 CONCACAF members of FIFA have entered the FIFA World Cup™ South Africa 2010. The Executive Committee reconfirmed that the qualifying format for this event, to be submitted for approval by the FIFA World Cup Organising Committee on 1 June, will be the same as for World Cup 2006, culminating in a final round of six"

12. hura

hura Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Bayamón, Puerto Rico
    the article:

probably ALL means Puerto Rico also...

13. hura

hura Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Bayamón, Puerto Rico
    Islanders U-20 and west coast league news...

14. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    who would be PR Starting eleven for the WCQ?

15. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Well that is what we all want to know, I can guess that Marcos Velez, Alexis Rivera, Saito Nieves, and maybe El Mime Ortiz but his geting old. A couple of Islanders B players maybe a few internationals we dont know about.

16. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    wow, i don't know one player???

17. hura

hura Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Bayamón, Puerto Rico
    the average puertorican... either!!!

Because Puerto Rico received money for GOAL projects, the fed is require by FIFA to participate in WC qualifying tourneys even though a national team is not in place. I bet puertorican fed president doesn’t know who’s going to be in the squad. :eek:

18. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    how about i pose this question who would be your preferred 11 to play a wcq for PR, could you list them and thier club

19. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Theres not that many famous Puerto Rican players out there, Yuri Morales (California Victory), Armas (Chicago Fire), Nardillo (Barnsley) are the best Puerto Ricans playing right now but none of them chose PR as their national side. A player I would like to see in the team is Jordan Salivia his a friend of mine and plays in Romania Div 3, Astral Ploiesti.

What is sad is that theres no list that we could look at and know which players is Puerto Rican and his playing where.

20. hura

hura Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Bayamón, Puerto Rico
    naturalization... that's the word for Puerto Rico soccer in the short term. I know a couple (more than 5) of Islanders player that are willing to play for the PR team plus there is a good deal a college players that are coming up. good pool to chose from if you know your stuff.

In the end, I don't see Puerto Rico getting past the first round in the WC qual, at least not with the present federation leadership. :(

21. Chowansoccer20

Chowansoccer20 New Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Could you please add me to the list of players eligible to play for puerto rico and tell me how I can become a part of the national team. I am a highly competitive player who just finished his college career last May. I have been on a numerous amount of Elite Club teams in the state of Virginia as well as the ODP program for the state. I also played at the DII level in college. I am looking for more information on what it takes to become involved with the national team program. Thank you

22. hura

hura Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Bayamón, Puerto Rico
  23. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    You can also pass through Batallon S-10 theres people there that may also help you get in contact with the PR fed if it dosnt work through the main methods.

24. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Hi my girlfriend playes Dv1 soccer she's half puerto rican and she is interested in playing for the national team of puerto rico. She has gotten numerous awards, to tell you the truth she's pretty good. If anyone knows any information on how we can get this to happen i will greatly appreciate it. thank you.

25. hura

hura Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Bayamón, Puerto Rico
    Contact the PR federation:
    http://www.fedefutbolpr.com/fpf.htm
    e-mail: info@fedefutbolpr.com or prensa@fedefutbolpr.com
    Phones: (787) 753-6905 or (787) 765-2895
    Fax: (787) 767-2288