Puerto Rican Soccer

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by artstrek98, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edgar

Edgar Member

Jordan Salivia Eieri (Puerto Rico) signed for Astra Ploiesti - currently in the Romanian third division, but fighting for promotion.

2. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    I know that young man, and i can say he shows potential, I hope it goes well for him up there and he better nt forget he ows me a jersey :)

3. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    CR'n Erick Jimenez is gonna play for the Islanders! good luck!

4. El Kapitan

El Kapitan New Member

Aug 28, 2005
  5. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Plans for the national team in 2007 ? They did not compete in Gold Cup qualifiers.

6. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    can you tell me where you heard that?

7. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    the fed and the islanders and river plate pr all tend to be very secretive, so we the fans suffer.

8. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    sure, right here

Jugará 8 meses en el club de Toribio Rojas
    Erick Jiménez a Puerto Rico

El delantero de la Liga Deportiva Alajuelense Erick Jiménez jugará por los próximos 8 meses en el club Islanders de Puerto Rico, que dirige el entrenador costarricense Toribio Rojas.

El Islanders es el único club puertoriqueño profesional, y tiene en sus filas al ex jugador del Boca Juniors de Argentina Gustavo Barros Schelotto.

Junto a Jiménez, también partirá el ex preparador físico de la institución Luis Roberto Sibaja.

jotamontenegro

I copy&pasted the article cause they don't archive their news, but is from this page

www.everardoherrera.com

9. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    what happened to the Islanders in the CFU

10. Zimbabwe_National

Zimbabwe_National New Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    hmmmmmmm Ive played against PR before they have raw talent juss the matter of growing them and I had a chance to play for PR Haiti Cote d'Ivoire and Guadeloupe but i chose Zimbabwe but good luck to PR :D

11. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    do you play pro for Zimbabwe?

12. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    They didnt make it out of the group stage, they beet one team 3-1 and lost to W Connection 1-0.

13. Zimbabwe_National

Zimbabwe_National New Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    why yes MoRado yes i do

14. humstein

humstein New Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Good luck to Puerto Rico.

I notice that a number of baseball playing latin nations such as Venezuela, Panama and Cuba are seeing improved results in soccer at the national team level. Hopefully, Puerto Rico will emulate them in the near future.

Perry

15. santeroatomico

santeroatomico New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston
    Armas is a pretty good player. His work with Chicago Fire has been phenomenal. What other PRican player is a recognizable player in the MLS?

16. touppouyo

touppouyo New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    You had a chance to play for PR, Haiti, IC, and Guadeloupe? How so?

Are you one of these players:

A) Shingi, Benjani (They both played in France)
    B) Sibanda, Mushagazhike, Nlovu, and Yohane.

What position(s) do you play for Zimbabwe?

17. fscat

fscat Member

May 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    A little bit of a tangent here, but is there alot of hate for Chris Armas because he decided to play for the US instead of Puerto Rico.

18. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    I myself don't like him and theres a group of us in the PR soccer community that think the same, but over all there is not hatred against him, I could see people like Nardillo and Yuri Morales not chocing to play for PR cause they werent born here especially Nardillo having the option to play for England or Wales.

If the fire would ever play the Islanders I would have some nice words to scream at him and maybe some banner saying "traitor" and such but thats just to get in his head and make him play bad.

You also hav to take into consideration that alot of people dont really know who he is, other than people that are in the know about PR soccer, but for example there was a basketball player, i think it was Carmelo ANthony that could of played for the PR national team but chose US and he had alot of bad press in PR about that and alot of my friend that follow basketball always talk bad about him.

Puerto Ricans dont like it when in sport, one of their chooses to play against them, especially with the USA. Cause it dosnt mater if your Pro statehood, colony or independence, in sports we are always Puerto Ricans.

19. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    I thought Armas was born in New York.

20. fscat

fscat Member

May 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL

'Melo could of played for Puerto Rico?!?!? Really? I didn't know that? Was he born in PR or does he have some family that are Puerto Rican?
    I can understand where your coming from with the Chris Armas thing. I'm not Puerto Rican myself, but I am proud of my own mixed heritage, and the Puerto Ricans I know are very proud. So I can see the disappointment if one of your own chooses to play for another nation. On the other hand, I can see why Armas chose to play for the US also, from what I've read on this thread, the PR Federation was pretty much in a mess, until recently, and internationally speaking he probably wasn't going anywhere in soccer. At least in the US, he would have a shot at some trophies and playing in a WC.
    Either way, there's no doubt PR can produce quality soccer players if they continue down the path they are on now.

21. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    He was.

22. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    The point I was trying to make with that comment is that Armas was very connected to his Puerto Rican roots he was even caped several times on a youth level. Players like Yuri and Nardillo never really had that deep connection to the Puerto Rican side of of their families. Yuri was raised in caly and Nardillo was raised in england. I now several kids that would die for a spot in the PRNT right now, one of them plays in div 3 in Romania and he would leave that at any moment if he was called to play for the NMT or the Islanders.

23. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002

I thought he played the shell cup but FIFA ruled that it wasn't an official cup. I think Armas did what he did. At that time PR was a lot worse than it is now, plus he really was one of the top players in MLS. I remember that Armas didn't get a mention in el Nuevo Dia until Chicago won that MLS cup. I don't think its like the whole Gigi Fernandez thing or something like that.

24. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Man you know fifa cant be trusted for shit, plus i did say that not alot of people cared only does that followed PR soccer which was a very small group during that time. The funny thing is that even if he was called by the US he never got to play in a world cup anyways, he came to late for 1998, had a injury in 2002 and was a standby for 2006.

25. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    He did get to win a gold cup and kick the worst PK in history.

I hate the US team but I can't blame Armas for going. PR was real crap. I remember that whole PR cup when PR couldn't score a goal and got trashed in every game by Tampa Bay, Dynamo Minsk and the CR sub 20 team. And that was like a year after Armas had already jumped ship.