Puerto Rican Soccer

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by artstrek98, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Has the friendly match, Guadeloupe v Puerto Rico been cancelled? It was pencilled in for sometime in March 2006 in Guadeloupe.........

2. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    I'll check. I haven't heard anything about it. It was an agreement in "principle" type of thing. Right now with the Fed preparing for the Caribbean/Central American Games Qualification and the limited resources, it wouldn't surprise me if it has been pushed back...

3. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    EPL, Argentine league games through Fox Sports en Espanol, Dutch League/Champions League games on Espn Deportes.

There are certains bars and restaurants if you look for them around the Condado and Isla Verde areas that show soccer matches every once in a while. I saw a couple of Euro 04 matches in Condado and in some restaurants in Guaynabo. They definitely show the World Cup. There are also Spanish Restaurants and Bars in Old San Juan and Hato Rey that show alot of La Liga games. Mostly the Barcelona and Real Madrid ones.

4. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Dr Know bringing the info...

5. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Apparently the draw has been made for the Digicel Caribbean Cup group matches. They will be played in September 2006. There will be 6 groups of 4teams in the first round, with 12 teams in the second round. This will be whittled down to either 4 or 8 teams for the Final Round in January or February 2007 in an as yet undecided country.

The 3 groups known so far are

GROUP IN DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
    Dominican Republic
    Bermuda
    British Virgin Islands
    United States Virgin Islands

GROUP IN ANTIGUA & BARBUDA
    Antigua & Barbuda
    Barbados
    Saint Kitts & Nevis
    Anguilla

GROUP IN JAMAICA
    Jamaica
    Haiti
    Saint Lucia
    Saint Vincent & the Grenadines

Anybody know anything of Puerto Rico and whether they entered?

6. Culé...

Culé... New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY
    hello all
    I am a Puerto Rican living in NYC since '93. As far as I know there is 1 bar/restaurant (a Taperia really - Tapas Bar) in old San Juan called 'Siglo 20'. They show mostly La Liga and Argentinian apertura/clausura. The staff is friendly and if you ask they will surely show EPL as they show it in FSC all the time. As for WC06. They will surely show it. There is also Panaderia Isla Verde in (you guessed it!) Isla Verde. But this is not a bar. It is a bakery owned by Spaniards and they have 2 small tv sets and ALWAYS show La Liga and CL matches.
    As for pub leagues. I dont think that concept has developed in PR. But then again I may be wrong. You will definitely not find the same atmosphere as in a pub in England. As for live matches I have never been to a Islanders match but from what I have seen in TV they seem to be very enthusiastic if a little bit disorganized with their chants and noise (I hate those effin blow-horns) and dont let the 5-6 K in attendance fool you. From what I know this team has one of the best attendances, if not the best, in USL.

7. artstrek98

artstrek98 New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    any thing happening with the youth level pr national teams? we'll be visiting in august from socal and my son would like to practice with the team and meet the coach.

8. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Actually the sub 17 is having their try-outs this summer for the sub 17 World CUp qualifiers so in august the team will be made so you could check that out.
    Or just go to this web and contact the Fed yourself http://www.fedefutbolpr.com/fpf.htm

9. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala

you know its bad when you put open tryouts in a country they should of been doing that a while ago and the PRFA should of started with a u14 cycle two years ago

good luck anyway their system must be bad or the demand for players is high.

10. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Yeah two years ago the fed was so screwed up that theres no way they could of done anything.

11. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    MUNICH, Germany (AFP) - Bayern Munich coach Felix Magath has revealed that Puerto Rico had approached him about becoming the country's team director in the build-up to the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

"I have an offer from Puerto Rico," Magath told Focus magazine Sunday. "The president of the Puerto Rico Football Federation asked me whether I could work as team director in the build-up to the 2010 World Cup."

The 53-year-old Magath, whose father was born in Puerto Rico and currently lives there, admits the post is tempting and said he would make a decision within the next month.

Magath is contracted with Bayern until June 2008 and said he had informed the German champions of the offer.

If Magath, a 1983 European Cup winner with SV Hamburg, chooses to accept the post it means he is likely to leave Bayern when his contract expires in 2008 as Puerto Rico's qualification campaign begins that summer.

Magath took over as Bayern coach two seasons ago and guided the club to back to back league and cup doubles in his first two years at the helm.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=afp-fblwc2010purger&prov=afp&type=lgns

12. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Everyone done here that follows soccer is talking about it, its great news for our MNT and i hope it happens.

13. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    I think things in PR as so far back, that I don't know if Magath would work here now. Maybe when PR is at a level that T and T had when Beenhaker came or something like that.

14. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    That's what I was thinking. It's nice that they are trying to improve things with the NT but for 2010??? No way. Maybe 2014 and that might be pushing it.

15. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Even do he dismiss becoming the new dt, he stated that he may take a asessorial role. To the PR FED i just say push it as mush as you can, nobody ever made something of themself by taking their time, have the ambishion and act on it.

16. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He would be a fool to leave Bayern for the PR National Team. Then again, if he can come here a make a respectable run with Puerto Rico and zoom us up the ranking impressively then anything is possible for the man. I have always told everyone who will listen, Puerto Rico could become a force in soccer if they just took it seriously. I've played with many Puerto Ricans that outclass good Argentinian, Mexican, Brazillian, or general latin players all the time in pickup games. There are Puerto Rican players with rediculous foot speed and good ball skills but once they walk off the field they just might light a cigarette and drink their Cuba Libre stored in the trunk of their car. Its literally that bad in terms of some of these guys keeping up with their shape and conditioning. The island is a hotbed of natural athletes though...

17. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala

Half of the player in guatemala do that:D there really is no form of discipline even at the highest level. yet were ranked 53 in the world

your player pool is tiny dude
    it probably is big as the state of Rhode Island
    so the # of quailty player and standard of play goes down

this is how you would break it down.

# pop. 4-5 million???\
    # of Men
    # of Women
    # of Men who play soccer
    # of men who play in organised soccer at a hight level
    # of men who are good in certain age group

etc. i would assume you have 1,500 who meet this criteria scattered

between U-14 to u21, and div3, div2, div1

that will take some years to compete with the like of T&T and Jamaica or even make 2010 WC something Guatemala has been building up for .

18. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Its just a matter of time my guatemalan friend.

19. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Population and size means nothing, Paraguay and Uruguay are the smallest countries from Conmebol and the 2 most talented after Brasil and Argentina, T&T is a tiny island and continues to be a force in Concacaf.

PR has produced a ridiculously large amount of good boxers, baseball, and basketball players. If they take this sport seriously (and the same goes for Canada, DR, and Cuba) they would be a force in futbol.

20. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    fixed your post, kid:D

21. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    How dare i forget:D

22. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala

beat teams like honduras, guatemala, and costa rica then you will be there

23. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    As i said its just a matter of time.

24. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Why do i always hear about PR playing USL teams? are they a national team or an USL team? :confused: :confused:

25. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    The Puerto Rico Islanders are a team in the USL. They have nothing to do with the NT which is what is mostly being discussed here.