Puerto Rican Soccer

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by artstrek98, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    damn, pops. what the hell you doing down there? escaping the law, then, huh?
    take the train up to brunswick, bro!

2. DCatracho17

DCatracho17 Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Chicago,USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Yankiboy shut up , Puerto Rico sucks at soccer they only play baseball or basketball. You give a puerto rican a soccer ball they are most likely to dribble it and look for a basket. Besides Honduras just keeps getting better and now have notable youth talents such as Ramon Nunez at Dallas. And dont try to compare Honduras with Puerto Rico cause that would be like comparing Goliath with David.

3. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    First off, try and show some class. Go back and reread the post where I responded to you very slowly. Try to process it. It's pretty clear that you misunderstood it.

I never insulted you personally. I never told you to shutup. I said that the comment was "useless" here in this forum and explained why. I actually did it sort of half-jokingly, but still trying to make a point.

I guess that you didn't get the humor. Your post was borderline "trolling". I then followed it up with showing some sincere love for Honduras. Maybe you thought that I was being sarcastic when I showed love for your country. I've got mad love for Honduras, the country and the people. So if you thought that I was dissing Honduras, go back and reread it.
    Who compared the Mighty Honduras to a little fish like Puerto Rico in soccer? No one here. Where did you read that? Just show me. You can't because it didn't happen.

Honduras talent and excellence in soccer speak for themselves.

The point is that the US used to suck in soccer. Now the US can compete with Honduras. Puerto Rico used to suck in basketball but they managed to wax the US in the Olympics no less.. One day Honduras may very well beat Puerto Rico or the US in basketball or have a middleweight boxing champion or have some other sporting accomplishment in a sport that it is currently not considered very good in if it works hard, aims high in it's goals and develops.
    It's about setting goals, echando pa'lante.

It's not necessary to insult a country-I would challenge anyone who ever said that Honduras was "hopeless" in anything--it's just not polite and it's not positive.

Maybe it's just a "maturity" thing--I have no idea how old you are, you could be 14 for all I know. The point wasn't about you having the right to express your opinion, it was about pissing on a country in a forum dedicated to the country. It's just not a classy thing to do.

Just try and think about how you might feel if a Mexico or a US supporter started disrespecting Honduras in forum dedicated to discussing Honduras because the Mexico or the US has had more success lately than Honduras in soccer. You wouldn't appreciate it.

If you still don't "get it" then hopefully one day, in time you will.

4. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    he had a skirmish in the guatemalan thread with a few othere guate posters

but he's harmless.

any way yanki boi ,any up and coming names in PR SOCCER you think we should look out for???

5. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Cool. It's over as far as I'm concerned. Moving on...
    I am excited about Marco Velez, (defender/forward) the boricua that was drafted by the Metrostars back in 2003. If he continues to learn how to control his temper and his focus, I think that he will make if back to MLS and stay this time. Or he will find an opportunity somewhere else. He is a rugged defender who studied at the IMG academy before his college career. After being let go by the Metros he played one season for the Seattle Sounders and last season he played with the Islanders. The Islanders Chilean DT recently sent him down to Chile to do some time training with Club Palestino and Universidad Catolica.

Another guy has been on the scene a long time. He is a Brutha named Alexis Rivera. He plays defense or midfield. He also was sent down to Chile. I think that if he get a chance to play MLS or go to another similar level league and play that he still has a big upside. I don't think that it is too late for either of those guys toget a look from some other league.

These are names that have been around for a while but having a DT/coach that is well connected, that has not only Chilean and MLS but other connections that he can use to get them looks from better leagues is something new.

We'll have to see how guys like Ramon Negron F(Radford) and Gadiel FigueroaM (StoneyBrook) do after finally getting a guy from the Island in D1 (Radford). Can he make the jump to MLS after maybe doing some time in the USL?

For the long range (5+ years): With the Islanders starting an academy and RiverPlate Puerto Rico planning one and with the Fed trying to concentrate on the youth national teams, keeping them together, getting them more international competition--it will be very interesting to see what happens

It's all starting small for guys from the Island.

For guys who aren't from the Island, time will tell about guys like Daniel Hernandez D(Metrostars) and some of the other guys who are of Puerto Rican heritage that are based in the States playing NCAAD1 like Chris Megaloudis F(Stoneybrook U) and Jesse Roque M(Oral ROberts U) who could possible make a jump after getting more experience in MLS Reserves or the USL or some other league abroad. Who knows when the next surprise will emerge. He doesn't have to be Chris Armas. He just has to have ability and decide that playing for PR is want he wants to do.

6. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    yea i saw velez looks promisin. I Also congratulate PR FA for establishing a soccer academy, guatemala just got the barcelona academy not to long ago . i hope this river plate school breeds a few good footballers for the argentine league that would real bolster the PR NT.

good luck on your scouting this spring man, i know your real passionate bTW i knew one kid who played on the 85' bethesda INTL's with me b4 i went to Marshall who was PR'can very promising infact he could of played for charleston battery , but he was a vitcm to nasty streets of langley park narcotic scene. sad story

7. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Thanks Bro. :) If PR can continue to get it's **** together and show that the crooks are gone then maybe it can get it's FIFA financial aid back. That would help a lot. Then it wouldn't just be the Islanders or RiverPR with academies.
    Kid, I used to live right off of University and Riggs road. I lived there for 4 years. It might only be a couple miles off campus but it is a different world. Between the drugs and the maras... Sorry to hear about your ex-teamate. That's really messed up... That area used to be nice back in the day.

8. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Puerto Ricans can play soccer my friends. The highschool level here is sick and very competitive. There have been scouts here to see certain players in the past and have offered scholarships and contracts. There are plenty of diamonds in the rough talent wise, its just a matter of them controling their Cuba Libre drinks and cigarette and marijuana inhilation sometimes hehe. There are definitely good players on the island and I can vouch for that! If PR ever got their stuff together we could be at a Jamaica or TnT caliber type team.

9. DCatracho17

DCatracho17 Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Chicago,USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Ok enough skirmishes ..... I get cranky in the morning, my apologies Yankiboy i do admit that The Islanders was a geat addition to Puerto Rican soccer, hopefully the game there improves the national team.

By the way US takes away most of the Puerto Rican talent , a good example is Chris Armas i think he had 5 caps for Puerto Rico before joining the US national team.

10. truetrini

truetrini New Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Virginia
    :) Not too long ago, Puerto was voted most improved Caribbean team.

I hope that they do get better and yankiboy..I am sure my daughter would love to play for PR. Her room is decorated with everything Boriqua!:)

11. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Yeah. "We" have the most room for improvement so we should always have the best shot at that honor.

Cool, because she is now officially on my list if the USWNT program doesn't work out for her. :D

12. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Actually, sorry, I meant the women's national team.

13. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    So having one player, with 5 PR caps = the US taking most of the Puerto Rican talent? Maybe if Donovan or Beasley were from the island you'd have an argument, but Armas? Armas isn't the missing piece that would get Puerto Rico to the WC my friend...

14. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    You miss the point. After pissing on PR, DCatracho17 was trying to say something pleasant about the program.

You weren't supposed to take it literally. It is like when you tell your co-workers that her daughter is actually kinda cute even when she's not after you just busted on her for being too skinny.

He was trying to offer an "olive branch"...

The truth is that if players like ChivasUSA Jason Hernandez and Orlando Perez didn't have the option of being called up by Arena in the future (Perez was when he was with the Fire but was unable to attend the USMNT camp because he was injured--His stock has fallen since then), if it hadn't been for the Armas incident, the team would be a bit better because guys who had only a remote or at least less than likely shot to get called up by the US would give PR stronger consideration.

Would PR make it to the World Cup? Hell no. But maybe we could get out of the first round of Digicel/Gold Cup qualification. That would be a big improvement. And nobody get me wrong. No one begrudges anyone for doing what is best for their career. No one that I know who supports Puerto Rican soccer at least. The truth is that PR like lots of tons of other pllaces in several sports loses players who are eliglble to represent it when it is in the athlete's best interest to go with a better program that will maximize thier opportunities. That's just life in international sports...

Anyways, getting back to the statement by DCatracho17: don't take the guy so literally. He had just lit us up and he was trying to show some class.

15. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Apologies.

I love PR Soccer!

16. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Thanks for caring enough to post. :)

17. artstrek98

artstrek98 New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Does PR have a men's U-17 team? How good is it? Who is the coach and how can I contact him?

18. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    I think that I sent you this info in some PMs and other posts. Maybe I sent it to someone else.

The U-17's are not that good when compared to the North American, Central America teams or the sides that dominate the Caribbean (JAM,T&T,Haiti). But there is renewed commitment to the program because the only way for things to improve is to work through the youth. The U-17 haves been more active in the past year.

Here is the link to the fed:
    http://www.fedefutbolpr.com/fpf.htm

If you have any problems contacting them, just let me know here or in PM.

19. GreenIsle

GreenIsle Red Card

Dec 28, 2005
    Green I/Prt Douglas
    LOL,must admit I also thought it was funny a Honduran making judgements on a teams ability.I currently live in and support Australia but if I'm not mistaken where Puerto Rico is concerned,funding and development opportunities would be the major drawbacks? Just an observation.

PS : And as you stated losing players to the USMNT.But don't worry about the previous poster.I doubt they'd want a girl like Donovan anyway.Who would want a player that goes to Europe,can't handle it and cries all the way home? :(

20. el chingon

el chingon Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    hopefully PR soccer improves a lot in the next few years....i was in my high school's soccer team last fall.....and there were 2 puerto rican players on the team...they were pretty good, they helped the team a lot, they were both midfielders...we made it to the state quarter finals.....last year the team was state champions:D

21. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    back when i played organized park ball, there were a group of puerto rican dudes who trained not far where we did our thing. first, they'd throw a football around and then play their own mini-game of futbol...they're weren't necessarily spectator fans but enjoyed the sport. (i think they were cops, just conditioning themselves...but most of them were technically good.

i knew some boricuas in high school that played here in jersey, which mind you all, is known for quality soccer, good players. i caught up with one of them years later for a beer and he told me that the scene down there was heating up for some futbol...

glad to see there's a thread here to discuss their progress.

22. devilman

devilman Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Houston,Tx.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Jibaritos play futbol??
    here's a good name for a club; Real Junqueno F.C. or Coqui Atletico:)

23. brit_boy

brit_boy New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    San Juan
    As a 35 year old Footballer who has played since he could crawl, what does PR have to offer as far as local leagues? Are there pub/industrial leagues playing sat/sun on the Island.

I have an opportunity to be located down there with my company and am trying to get the full scoop.

Also what's the atmosphere/attendance size like at the Islanders games?

Are there any soccer friendly bars in SJ that show games on TV - EPL/WCup?

Any local info will be great.

Cheers.

24. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Outside of the semi-pro leagues (Liga Mayor, Liga Premier), I'm not so sure about the adult rec leagues. I know that it pretty much depends on where your are down on the Island when it comes to adults playing. You might find a team in the Mayor or Premier to be at a skill level that fits your interest. Especially with your football background and if you are still in good physical shape.

I have actually never been to an Islander's home game because I am a Yank who doesn't live there (hopefully that will change this season if things work out). From what I have seen on tv, the players, directors and more importantly the hardcore fans that go all the time tell me--the vibe is very good, very enthusiastic and is definitely a home field advantadge.

Last season, the average attendance was about 5,100 (give or take) with the largest crowd being 8,754 (season opener) and the second largest 7,811 (final weekend Friday game that was also televised on FSC so people showed up to represent)...

We basically have two supporters groups (Barra Brava and Batallon S-10). They are not large but they are very vocal and love to have fun.

This season most of the home games are going to be played on Sunday instead of Friday but we are still hopeful that the attendance will grow or at least hold steady while people adjust to a more traditional game day.

I know that will be places showing World Cup. As far as EPL, not sure I will check with my people and see. The leagues that seem to get the most people out tend to be ARG, ESP and ITA.

Send me PM or an email and I will be happy to put you in touch with my people down on the Island. One of them hangs out here on BS all the time. I know that he will be very happy to help you get aclamated.

Also, if I will be happy to tell you about the Island, the areas to try and find a place to live, answer any general type questions.

Cheers.

25. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002

I've never heard of soccer bars but EPL games thru FSC and all that are available. I only know of soccer being shown in bars on the world cup and special events like when channel 6 was broadcasting CONMEBOL olympic qualifers for Sydney. Still you never know since I'm not into bars and the only freaking time I tried to watch a game, they told me to screw it but that was way back in 97.