PSV Eindhoven only for fans [R]

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by bobjeman, Dec 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vandervaart

Vandervaart Member

May 21, 2003
    London
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I disagree. There was a discussion on Buitenhof and that was about it. Everyone wants PSV to survive and remain a topteam as everyone realizes that's good for Dutch football. There was no hetze at all. There were 'critical' discussions, but that's only healthy no?

2. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    You missed a lot then.

Studio Voetbal, AD, Telegraaf all wrongly informed the people about this deal. I blame Salazar for it, but as well Studio Voetbal, Telegraaf, AD who failed to inform themselve well about this deal.

They gave wrong information, PVV asked questions about it in the "Tweede Kamer". CDA minister had his questions about this deal (again failed to describe this deal correctly in his motivation) and go on.

A short view at several Dutch forums confirms this image, many still don't understand this deal and many still think it's a disgrace PSV can spend 20m euro while begging Eindhoven for money while it's not that simple at all.

3. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You don't want to know how many times I've had to explain to people (particularly 1 individual on this forum) that Ajax didn't have a 20 million debt last season. Journalists and politicians are equally sensationalistic and opportunistic. Who cares about content? It's all about getting attention.

4. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Example of what I mean

Nu.nl

5. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Playing the devil´s advocate here but it´s a fact that PSV has spent more money than it´s had coming in for years. It´s operated at a loss for a number of years mostly owing to over the top salaries. There´s a reason why they themselves got a restructuring consultancy in, and why they asked Eindhoven city to cooperate on the land-buying deal.

I´m not criticising that deal with Eindhoven, at all. But for a club that according to its own board of directors is cutting costs, it´s at best not very good PR to be buying three relatively expensive Dutch league players. PSV doesn´t give the impression that it´s serious about becoming a structurally financially sound club. It is giving off the impression that it is trying desperately to hang on in the Dutch league and in Europe. What happens if Mertens, Wijnaldum and Strootman don´t live up to expectations? Eindhoven while buying the land has also stipulated that PSV can´t expand its stadium any time soon. So all the money has to come purely out of football income. Again, what happens if the results on the pitch are disappointing?

6. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Not much

The deal with Eindhoven was to lower the structural outcome
    The deal with Philips and co was to increase the structural income
    PSV will lower the wage-budget

All already done, it will safe PSV 20 million euro/year. Évery year! PSV sold Dzsudzsak, Amrabat, Salcido, Afellay and lost high-wage players like Berg, Koevermans and Kromkamp. PSV had space and money to invest.

One demand by Eindhoven was that the budget should be closed without Champions League football and without transfers. After this re-organisation PSV will need the CL once every three years but next year that problem should be solved as well.

Without this deal, PSV had a annual gap of 20 million euro's. With this deal, that gab is gone and PSV is (almost) independant of transfer income and CL football. Even if both Strootman, Mertens and Wijnaldum fail, it might affect the results but it won't bring PSV in financial problems. Since PSV can use the transferincome to invest in new players and if they fail, PSV will have less money to invest but it won't bring PSV in danger if they don't do anything stupid.

As long the structural costs keep decent and as long the income of tickets and sponsors don't decrease, PSV won't get into financial problems. PSV invests the money they got from Dzsudzsak, Afellay, Amrabat and co, what's wrong with that? If PSV didn't got the deal with Eindhoven, they had to use that money to close the 20m gap, but since that gap is gone, that money is free to invest in who or what they want.

I doubt Wijnaldum, Strootman and Mertens are the smartest players to buy, but it's not wrong.

7. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    The point I´m trying to make Paga is that for a club with a recent history of not balancing the books it might not be the best idea in the world to pay top dollar for players. I´m not talking about PSV being in danger. PSV has the status of a top club and they´ll always be saved by someone even if they are ever at the risk of going down. I´m talking about the general attitude towards spending money. PSV doesn´t seem to have changed its attitude in that respect which is strange in light of what your own board of directors have said on the subject.

The irony being that you don´t have to spend shedloads to be challenging for the league in Holland. Recent history shows that creativity and sound general management pays off. And that spending a lot on players, if anything, does not. PSV and Ajax no longer have the massive financial leadership in the Dutch league of yesteryear. That´s a fact. So who wins the league will largely be decided on who can shape the best team. I have no idea who that will be next season, and PSV of course are one of the contenders. I just don´t think that you need to spend that much money to be a contender in the Dutch league to start off with.

8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm not so sure this helps in the long run and any team that says they have to have CL football every three years is risking a great deal. There are a lot of cautionary tails on The Swiss Ramble's website. Perhaps he can take a look at this new PSV strategy. Do you know if their financial's are public? I'm sure that their income line is not much different from Ajax though they do have a smaller stadium and maybe matchday income is not as high. I also would not suspect that merchandise sales are as high either (but could be wrong on that one). Because there is limited television income in Dutch football, player sales must play an important role in keeping a team solvent.

9. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    PSV is at this moment financially a very healthy club sínce that deal. Almost every cent earned by transfers and CL football can be invested in new players. PSV earned 20 million from several transfers, they nééd to improve the squad. PSV has changed it attitude, PSV won't give wages higher than 1 million euro's unless it's a v. Bommel, Gomes. The problem by PSV where that the structural outcome was higher than the structural income without CL football and transferincome. Thát has changed, so they have changed their attitude. Since that was a problem, not paying high fees

Unlike Ajax (*can be wrong, improve me if so), PSV doesn't need CL money anymore to survive nor transfer money to break even. (next year)

What you ask is not investing money while you have it because it will look wrong, that's the dumbest thing you can do. You invest it in other areas, PSV in young talented players. PSV can't pay a new stadion. PSV can't even expend their stadion (almost impossible, lack of space). PSV recently invested huge amounts of money in their youth-setup. So what do you want PSV to do with those 20 million euro's? Not use it at all?

You might not agree, but it's not wrong or risky in such way that PSV would have to beg for money soon, even if they all fail and PSV fail to reach the CL.

I would have done the same, use that money for bright new talents. I might not have chosen for overpriced Dutch kids, but PSV had an identity problem last year. They think they can solve it by buying young hungry Dutch players instead of a few Serbians, Brazilians and co who might be a better buy.

Again, PSV could also have chosen to invest money in cheaper Dutch League players like Roorda, Toornstra and co. But I rate Strootman and co higher than them. And PSV has bought lots of "net-niet" players over the last 5 years, they want certainty and think Strootman, Wijnaldum and Mertens aren't bets. Be fair, do you really think Mertens won't be worth 6 million euro's in a few years? Same fee as Lazovic? Do you really think Strootman won't be worth more than 7 million euro's while he's the best candidate to replace v. Bommel and will play at the Euro 2012 and World Cup 2014? Do you really think Wijnaldum can't be sold for more than 5 million euro's? Even if one fails, others are likely to compensate it.

I want to quote one post I've made at a different board

Highlights, too lazy to translate it.

PSV gets 1.5 million for every million they invest in a U23 player (27 bought, 41 sold)
    PSV loses a hell of a lot money by investing in older players. (41 bought, 10 million sold)

If PSV invested all the money from 23+ players in 23- players, PSV would have 31*1,5 + 21 = 67.5 million éxtra!

PSV's mistake was to invest huge amount of money in older players with a high wage. I refer you to these figures I've made in the Reker era.

[​IMG]

The average age of the players PSV bought increased a lot!

The percentage of 25+ of the players they bought also increased a lot!

[​IMG]

The amount of money invested in 25+ players

[​IMG]

Also increased a lot under Reker!

That was a reason why the financiel problems weren't solved while PSV had the chance. And because Reker was had no knowledge about finance. So PSV haven't changed? They did, you just don't see it. And Orange, goal by Sanders is that PSV will be completely independent of CL next year, quite sure he will succeed. PSV won't need transfer incomes to survive, like they used to do, they need it to invest. (read: need it to keep the team at a decent level)

10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Paga, thanks for the post (didn't bother quoting it as it was quite long). Ajax started the same kind of transition a couple of years ago under Coronel and van den Boog (let's leave the Cruyff flap out of this) and reduced wages and have not engaged in foolish transfers either. Their balance sheet is a little better than PSV's irrespective of the recent deal with the city of Eindhoven. However, all Dutch teams will continue to rely on player sales in order to keep the financial house in order. It's just a shame that they did not get more for Affellay (of course Ajax didn't get much from Emanuelson but he is also not nearly the quality of Affellay).

11. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    As far I know and as far it has been published in the press, PSV doesn't need transfer income and only 1 CL spot every 3 years to run break even since the Eindhoven deal. PSV wants to become completely independent of transfer income and CL in the short future.

Just like some other Dutch teams btw

12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Unless you plan to emulate FC Twente, I don't think it's possible. You really would have to keep an incredibly hard cap on player salaries. Here is the Ajax P&L courtesy of The Swiss Ramble .(for some reason it Big Soccer won't let me past the table in so you will have to look it up). You can see how difficult it can be. I doubt that PSV are any higher on gate receipts or commercial (and may be lower). Unfortunately he has not looked at any other Dutch team. In Serie A, only four teams in the most recent year were profitable and really only in the Bundesliga is there general solvency across the teams.

13. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    [​IMG]

PSV

Exploitatie stadion 16
    Sponsoring 13
    Media (TV) 8
    Seizoenkaarten 7
    Merchandising 4
    Europa League: 3
    Other: 1
    Totaal 52

PSV had a gap of 17 million euro's without Champions League football. PSV has increased the sponsoring by 5 million euro's, so the turnover will be 57 million euro. PSV's wage budget was 31 million euro's, that will be decreased by 4 million if I'm correct. And the other 6 million will come from the re-organisation and cheaper loans.

14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Thanks for posting the table. It will be curious to see how much the wages line item for Ajax changes this season. It looks like Stekelenberg is moving to Roma and with the off loading of a lot of the dead wood (only Silva and Cvitanich remain from the van Basten era; Sulejmani doesn't count as he is a starter), I expect this to decrease by a fairly large amount as well.

I do hope PSV's financial issues are now solved (I would like for all the clubs in the league to be healthy!) so that we can have a good competition this next year.

15. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Paganitzu, aren't you missing the yearly 2M erfpacht PSV will have to pay from now on? And the rentfree 20M in loans you received? Or is that money used to pay off other loans first in order to balance the sheets?

16. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Eindhoven will buy the ground with loaned money, PSV will use that money to pay of expensive loans. The interest of those loans was higher than 2M. The interest of the money loaned by Eindhoven (since Eindhoven can't go to bankruptcy) is lower than 2M (read: they earn money). PSV will as well use the 20M from ASML and co to pay of expensive loans.

All the money PSV gets, will be used to pay off loans with an higher interest.

17. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    Any updates on Reis? I heard he's back training again.

18. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Except from that, no :)

PSV really needs a new striker and defender, names as Zanka and El Hamdaoui have been linked to PSV and PSV once confirmed they made an offer for Zanka, but currently say he's too expensive.

It seems to me that PSV is gambling.

19. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Gambling as in their whole course of action this summer or just this signing?

20. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    They are hoping that the players they want become cheaper. At least, that was what Eindhovens Dagblad suggested. I highly doubt that will happen.

But they are indeed gambling by investing huge fees, that's another way to look at it.

21. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    They have a long time to wait. I hope a different, foreign club comes by to snatch El Hamdaoui before then. I would hate to have him play against us.

22. VHZD

VHZD Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Győr, Hungary
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Hungary
  23. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  24. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    This one quote hit me...

"Only four clubs are deemed to be “financially secure”: Go Ahead Eagles, SC Heerenveen, Telstar and FC Volendam."

Why is Johan always prattling on about how Twente is the only top dutch club deemed financially secure? Is this incorrect?

25. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Article is wrong, Twente is in the secure catagory. I'm not sure Heerenveen is still in it.

Nothing I didn't already knew but still interesting to read! Thanks!

PSV apparently played great against Nottingham Forest.

http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/1433/PSV/art...aldum-en-Mertens-draaien-iedereen-dizzy.dhtml

Partly translated
    Terrible article though, have to say that. I'm convinced it has been written by an optimistic PSV supporter.

Highlights:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaYY0DYA-ow&feature=player_embedded"]‪At The City Ground weet PSV met 3-1 te winnen‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Engelaar again used as central defender, he replaced Bouma. Tamata is having a great pre-season while Manolev is having a terrible one. I won't be suprised if he will take over Manolev's spot in the first eleven. I as well must say that I adore Wijnaldum, he has been massive in the friendlies he has played for PSV. Strootman has as well been fantastic while Mertens played some great friendlies and some where he was completely invisible. Still better than Lens, who still plays with a pessimistic face and fails to impress. Completely unlike the new kids, who constantly have smile on their faces. Especially Wijnaldum!

PSV's defence has been looking shaky and I can't see us perform impressively in Europe or winning the league if we don't improve in this aspect. PSV confirmed they where interested in Ronnie Stam, but first attempt failed and they didn't try again. PSV also confirmed they tried to buy Zanka, but that attempt as well failed. Another huge problem is the lack of football quality at the back. I'm sure this is the reason why Rutten tries Engelaar as central defender.

The only striker PSV wanted to buy was a Korean kid who prefered Sunderland above PSV and Sunderland wanted to pay more. They where willing to pay a wage close to a million and a transfer fee close to two million, PSV wasn't.

Funso Ojo, who failed at VVV-Venlo, as well started against Nottingham Forest. I know he's highly talented but I as well know he has a terrible mentality. I hope he can make the step, but I doubt it. I don't know how he played against Nottingham.