News: psst - There's a Game Today!

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by John L, May 19, 2018.

1. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    And great to listen to! The DCU VP of all things was notably absent from the in game commentary. My mute button felt entirely left out last night.

2. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really good analysis. I'd add that this will work well against a bad team, especially a team that is bad at the back. It might not work as well against teams that can handle the ball well and/or are stronger mentally. Will be especially important to not tire us out in the hot summer months. Even more especially true if we end up purchasing a certain older dude from Liverpool who isn't know for his fitness or loving the heat and humidity

Eastern Bear repped this.
  3. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Wouldn't Chris OA be the next man off the bench for fullback. I am concerned that Robinson and Opare are not getting any minutes, and they are quality players with a big upside. Then again, this is the first game in a while without Brillant own goal.

4. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    OA is out injured -- surgery on compartment syndrome from over exercise. Jonny Northeast strikes again.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  5. roadrunnerecuador

Jul 17, 2008
    Does anyone know why we blast the ball in the air to the opposing CB on half opening kickoffs?

sitruc, Winoman and ejs1111 repped this.
  6. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I’m not kidding here. We do it to set up the high press. Olsen had to be thrilled last night as he intends to score goals off the high press. Think dump and chase hockey.

sitruc, Winoman, greatscott and 2 others repped this.
  7. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Can you also start next week's thread please?

I was very impressed by Durkin. Several times he showed good instincts to break the pressure with quick decisive passing. If you can quickly bypass the pressure and isolate our attackers in a 4v4 situation, I think we can cause a lot of problems for defenses. In the past we too often reacted negatively to pressure. We succumb to it and pass the ball backwards to center backs and goalie. This only invites more pressure and center backs/goalies are not the players you want handling the ball with little time/space. Arriola goes a long way towards helping us here because his instinct is always to play quick and play forward.

Now, to be fair, San Jose's pressure was abysmal. Their front line did not do a good job putting us under pressure. Maybe this is because they have a coach new to MLS who doesn't know the playbook against United. If I'm coaching San Jose, I might want someone like Amarnikwa on the field to really hassle us in our end of the field. But I'll take it any way I can get it.

ElApacheTevez, John L and Winoman repped this.
  8. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Durkin made MLS's team of the week after Saturday's performance.

9. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    I'm still thinking about this -

Real Mobile repped this.
  10. smakawhat

smakawhat Member

DC United
    Apr 27, 2003
    MD - Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The team has the ability... just has to get the pieces together. At least this season all things considered we are scoring goals on the road.

DecadeOfDCU26 and Winoman repped this.
  11. Don't Tread on Me

Aug 11, 2010
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This new formation is pretty different from anything Olsen's used in the past, it seems to take into account the strengths of the players, and it produces some fun-to-watch attacking play. There is an observable Plan A that isn't "Benny-ball" and that's what I wanted to see out of DC since they don't have the payroll to really challenge for MLS cup yet. I know RSL and Quakes aren't the best competition in the league but it's really heartening stuff and it makes me want to see what Olsen can do when he's not handicapped by finances.

12. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I'd like to read the question Ben sent in to the advise segment of the BBC's " Ask Arsene Show" If he thought of that on his own, it's about time the light bulb came on