PSG - Montpellier [R]

Discussion in 'France' started by hermolt, Feb 10, 2003.

1. hermolt

hermolt New Member

Oct 6, 2001
    Australia
    What can I say? 3 goals after being one down at Parc des Princes is no mean feat for MHSC, Mezague scoring 2 and Mansare the other after the hero got sent off for 2 yellows in 5 minutes. I'm well chuffed about this result, it's been about a year since I was last at la Stade de la Mosson and I really hope when I go back we're still in D1. Hopefully Victor Bonilla will add even more force to our strike team.

Anyway, saeeing as I'm most likely the only Montpellier fan on these boards, I've enjoyed talking to myself..;)

2. SportBoy321

SportBoy321 New Member

Jul 6, 2002
    New England
    I would be sad if Montpellier went down. I believe they have potential to be a bigger club. They had the World Cup there so the people there must give a damn about football. I'd rather see the teams relegated like Troyes,Le Harve,Ajaccio because they are smaller town clubs they don't help the league or have much potential.

3. hermolt

hermolt New Member

Oct 6, 2001
    Australia
    To be fair - the attendances were fairly poor when I was there circa Christmas 2001, I saw a League Cup match vs. Martigues which was understandably fairly deserted (won 2-1 with an 87th minute winner ;)) and a 1st Division match vs. Monaco which was also pretty empty (most blatant handball in the history of football ignored as we bundled in a stoppage time equaliser). That said, I was in the Paillade end and it went mental, the rest of stadium was fairly empty, bourgeois on the wings and no one at the away end both times. The atmosphere down our end, though, was electric, getting the bounce going and singing songs whilst trying to simultaneously translate them and hurl obscenities in another language was almost too much, but by god I had a good time.

I really, really hope they stay up - I'm looking at 2 relegations this year, but Bonilla was mint in my CM game at Union Berlin so I'm hoping art imitates life, so to speak. :p

4. SportBoy321

SportBoy321 New Member

Jul 6, 2002
    New England
    I don't think they have ever had great attendence but they've never won any league titles or been any good so that might have something to do with it. Why would they build a 30,000 seat stadium then if they didn't think the club had potential to draw big crowds. They need to win consistantly.

5. hermolt

hermolt New Member

Oct 6, 2001
    Australia
    True - a lot of people in Montpellier are Marseille fans - obviously glory hunting. If Montpellier started to do well, they'd come back (or a lot would) rather than traipse over to the Sky Blue Scum.