PBP: PSF - Manchester United FC vs UC Sampdoria - Aug 2, 2017 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That is not the system - is just Mou going in this game with who not banned for the Real game :)

A back three would also suit TFM / Tuanzebe - as Mou indicated not ready to play in CB pair yet but probably could in a three.

2. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    i'd argue the opposite: playing 3 at the back makes sense until you find a CB that can stand on his own next to bailly.

nevertheless, and i'm sure he's a nice guy and all, seeing smalling trying to control a ball just gets me in my feels.

3. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    didn't know lukaku could shift into 5th gear like that!

4. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    well now you do.

re: Blind - his form has been declining sharply over the last little while. he started well at CB. of course it isn't his natural position but that thinking never comes into the criticism.

still he can and should do better, especially if we are going to insist on shoehorning him there

5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Samp with the equalizer. Neat finish from Praet...

6. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    DDG always wanna make saves with his damn feet

Diable Rouge repped this.
  7. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    i think our system will revolve around our midfield triangle with a cdm. we'll probably cycle between 4-1-4-1, 3-1-4-2 and 4-1-3-2 all season.

8. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I absolutely love Carrick but he just can't move anymore. Not sure he's capable of contributing much this year on the field, even in a bit part role (obviously he still has a role to play in the dressing room).

9. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    Don't worry he will get Roo-need this season by Hozay

Diable Rouge repped this.
  10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #85 Ashur, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    Not overly worried about Blind tbh. His form has been up and down from the start and has come in for tons of criticism (sometimes justified, while at other, it's just prejudged misconception, over reactionary bull).
    The thing those who take so much glee criticizing him, constantly seem to overlook is that he always seem to step up when it really matters and raise his game when the chips are down.
    Inconsistent? That's fair, but as a squad guy, constantly being played out of position, he's not that horrible at all IMO.

11. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    he won't play much. matic will play every minute of every game in the league and CL, and jose will put herrera in front of the defense should he get injured.

12. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agreed, but it highlights that we still have a bit of a depth problem in midfield if we plan on playing 3 regularly. After the 3 obvious starters, Fellaini is probably #4 (terrible), Pereira #5 (inexperienced) and Carrick #6 (past it). That's a big potential weakness.

13. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    oh it's not a potential weakness, it's very real.

there is Fosu-Mensah too, assuming he doesn't go on loan, but that still doesn't change the point

thenamestsam repped this.
  14. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  15. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Mata scores :)

lol @ david may in commentary, talking about defender marking Martial and worried about his pace "if that defender drops off Martial any further he will need a ticket to get back in the ground" :)

Pulp repped this.
  16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mata with the assist from Martial. 2-1.

17. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    When are we going to sell Blind?

18. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    and that ends preseason for us

5 wins 1 draw 1 loss

19. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    I was a big fan of the tempo we were playing with today. Much higher, much more aggressive.

The main positive of 2 up top is that it means our forwards are equally matched against the CBs in a back 4. That hardly happens now, CBs don't know how to deal with it. As we saw in the first half especially, Lukaku will be better placed to work the channels and will have better support for immediate breakaways. We also saw how we used our wingbacks to overload the defence with late runs. It suits Lukaku, Mkhi, Valencia and Pogba, but it also suits our squad's dearth of quality out wide.

The main cons are that Darmian makes a poor LWB - we need a left-footer out there, so that leaves us with Shaw. Without two strong options on each flank, we won't be able to run our WBs a la Spurs last season. The other biggest problem is that the chief benefits of the formation are lost against a side that plays 3 at the back, though we would still have Lukaku/Martial/Rashford beating most backlines in a foot race and most back 3s come with a higher line.

AP needs to get to grips with the 3-1-4-2 and this tempo. Our midfield 2 is crucial to us being able to execute our game plan at speed. Obviously Herrera will be first choice but there's a lot of game time in it for AP if he can get the hang of this setup.

cr7torossi repped this.
  20. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Translates to

Valencia is better when he can press without thinking because he isn't very smart.

And

Matic was average in possession but excellent at winning it back.

Also...

@benni... You were just talking about how slow we were in possession and I told you we weren't.

21. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Thanks for the summary naboo.

What did the others make of it?

22. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    So watched the extended highlights and Lindelof with 2 more howlers ffs

23. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I didn't see all of the second half. The bit of it I did see was ruined by all the subs. The first half was promising. The tempo was quick, the width superb and the service good. Mkhi could have had a hat trick of headers. His movement was superb. Pogba and AP, had freedom and our press meant we could win the ball back with CBs and Matic all near the half line.

The result of our wingbacks' play was loads of space in the channels. The kind of space that Mata could really exploit. If Martial got time in that shape in Mkhi's role, he would have loads of room and it would be hard to mark him.

J'can and cr7torossi repped this.
  24. Drae

Drae Member+

Jun 26, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It was good to see an inverted triangle in CM, rather than what we had far too often last year. I hope it was Matic, rather than the 3 at the back that explains this, but I could be wrong.

Matic was decent I thought, but beyond that, if he gives Jose the confidence to play a single DM, with Pogba + one other advanced, that will be a significant improvement system wise.

J'can, Naboomagnoli, johno and 1 other person repped this.
  25. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Jose spoke of Martial alongside Lukaku and Rashford post match.

That's good because he sees a role for him beyond winger. If playing 352 is what it takes to not play Martial as an auxiliary left back, then bring it the ******** on.