Pre-match: Protests, the Anthem, and the Flag discussion

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Reccossu, Sep 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disrespecting the flag as a demonstration of the power of the Constitution/Bill of Rights is more patriotic and "American" than standing at attention and saluting. A person, no matter who they are, risks nothing with what you consider "respect" whereas what you consider "disrespect" is the very bedrock upon which the supreme law of this land was founded.

2. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #252 EruditeHobo, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    They're proving they misunderstand the protests; I am taking no liberties with what the vast majority of these people, including some in this very thread, are saying using their own words and statements.

Ok, fair enough.

Context matters.

What are we talking about, off to the side. Context.

Context.

I'm refuting all your points with one word. Because these are bad analogies.

I haven't noticed outrage about the USSF rule in particular. I think there's been some outrage over the reality behind what these protests address, and with good reason. There was also some other misplaced outrage that was actually apologized for. So you can link me to the outrage over USSF rule if you'd like... all I said was it was a gutless way of avoiding "negative" publicity.

The FIFA rule exists for an entirely different reason, and is not about players protesting their own anthem.

This is a slippery slope to saying no one can ever be wrong. Anyone can have any opinion, but I reserve the right to use the rules of logic and rhetoric to tell them they are wrong. And I'm sure they reserve the right to ignore me! What a country.

soccernutter and TimB4Last repped this.
  3. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If you want everyone to stand for the anthem, call your local elected official and tell them to bring it to the floor of the congress to make it a law.

Otherwise, mind your business.

4. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are poorly informed or dishonest. I'll give you the benefit of ignorance.

He did not lose to Gabbert on merit. The 49ers refused to play him until he renegotiated his contract in their favor. As soon as he had less injury protection he magically won the job.

He opted out as he was going to be cut.

Why does about the 25th best QB available need to accept a veteran minimum offer?

NFL teams have signed tons of bad QBs without so much as a workout for Kaep. Brandon Weeden is older, worse and didn't play a snap last season. WEEDEN was signed this week.

TimB4Last repped this.
  5. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    Some of us don't care whether you stand, sit, kneel, jump whatever during the anthem - we just hate grandstanding poseurs

6. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not "refuting", more like smug assertions. See what gets me about this whole thing is the conceitedness.

I don't know all the answers. I know that I can't know all the answers because I experience life through a unique lens made up of unique experiences. I can't know what it's like to be at every socio-economic status in this country, from a Black woman in the Hamptons, to an Asian immigrant in SF's Chinatown, to a White coal miner in West Virginia. It's just impossible.

I can't learn as much about, for example, the prison system in the US, as someone who's worked around it/within it for 25 years. There are depths of knowledge there that I just simply will not get.

This doesn't mean that I can't have empathy for people, or that facts don't matter, or that every opinion has the exact same weight (eg. someone with no knowledge on an issue vs. an "expert" in the same field). But what it does mean is I don't dismiss opinions off-handedly. I may not necessarily change my opinion, but I am under no delusion that my opinion is the be-all-end-all.

Now, onto protests during the anthem/sports in general.

When I consume news media, or articles, or political commentary, I make the conscious choice to consume those things. When I engage in political discussions, online or off, I choose to engage in them. When I watch sports, I want to be making the conscious choice to consume sports, not politics. Of course, there are mediums such as literature, television, and film, which often have overt/covert political messaging, but that's to be expected. When you read Fahrenheit 451, or Catch-22, you know what you're getting into.

But if sports were boiled down into a book, the "cover" would read: "athletic feats by professionals bound by rules", or something like that. But instead of football, there is the incessant drumbeat of political discourse.

And, to make matters worse, it's discourse from people who are anything but "experts". It's not political expressions dictated by people who have some kind of higher understanding of social issues, but people whose opinions and knowledge are by-and-large unlikely to be more insightful or intelligent than any other American on the street.

Perhaps this would be another way to put it. I wouldn't express myself politically on a national stage like, for example, Kaepernick, because I know that my opinions aren't necessarily "expert", and may well be wrong in some respects. I would just happen to do something that gives me media exposure, and it's not for the strength of my arguments or convictions.

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    elaborate please?

8. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, the fact that you keep asserting that this is disrespectful or that sports figures shouldn't express protest actually suggests you don't get it.

And to be clear: what is being suggested is that protest is ok, somewhere else, but of course two points
    1) that somewhere else is basically out of sight, which is very convenient for those who don't feel issues of racism or police brutality should be addressed
    2) you're asking people to show obeisance to a nation that is fairly open that extrajudicial killings of people of color are legal and generally maintains a system of oppression. Surely, it ought to be entirely clear the perversity of imposing such a requirement of people. Frankly, I could understand, for example why black South Africans might not want have wanted to salute the flag of Apartheid South Africa, if that analogy helps you understand. For my part, as I said, as an atheist, I will not pledge allegiance to a nation under god. Period. As long as America wants to expressly exclude me and others like me, then America has no right to demand my respect.

9. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Under that theory, the playing of the anthem at all should be your objection, since that's paid for by the US government for political purposes.

10. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a minor annoyance only lessened by the fact that every single American sport plays it, and it takes up 30 freaking seconds. I can deal with something for 30 seconds. I can't deal with the media circus infecting an arena of my life that I'd rather be immune to such discussions.

If this was kneeling/protest, but I didn't hear about it in excruciating detail 24/7, I wouldn't be in this thread talking about it. It would be quiet background noise, much like the anthem itself usually is. Same with the pledge of allegiance, btw.

To me, it's all akin to seeing advertising. But in this case, instead of just allowing people to be annoyed at advertising, you've made a dozen or so suggestions that people like myself are inherent racists, bigots, and other such unsavory insults. Once again, I invite you to stop responding to me, lest you accidentally insult me 4 or 5 more times.

11. JamieBmore

JamieBmore Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Players kneeling or sitting during the national anthem, while wearing the colors of the nation....so ridiculous that we even have to address this. No, there will be no law that forces any player to stand but:

1 ) - Be prepared to never again be asked to represent the country on its National team ever again. The coach will be thrilled to have to answer questions endlessly while this player is on the roster.

2) - Be prepared to get mercilessly booed by your own fans.

If a player is good with that, go for it. Hope it was worth it buddy.

12. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #262 EruditeHobo, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    We agree to disagree and this isn't really going anywhere, which is fine, but I'm not going to respond to this whole thing. But I will say claiming that context is important isn't "smug" or "conceited." If you want to use an analogy make sure it's apt.

Even comparing these protests to someone talking during a movie or talking during a work presentation is a huge part of the problem, and indicative of why this is such a polarizing issue; it's not MY fault that you are doing that directly and forcing me to respond to your own weak arguments, but those things will never be equal. Those are BAD analogies. It minimizes what is being done by this peaceful protest movement, it minimizes the purpose for which these athletes take a knee, and perhaps worst of all it actually gives power and credence to anyone who ever wants to be offended by anything, or finds anything disrespectful, completely regardless of context.

You're clearly engaging in good faith, and believe me I appreciate that and don't take it for granted, but we just agree to disagree on a very fundamental level.

But I'm not being SMUG by disagreeing with you. In fact in this very thread I misused logic and misspoke about the realities of enforcing the first amendment in the private sector/workplace. I didn't get all bent because a few people came back at me, I just realized I misspoke in terms of what my actual point was and clarified my position. I didn't call anyone out as being "conceited." I'm not conceited for pointing out your bad analogies. You're wrong to conflate this movement with some annoying millennial texting throughout a movie.

Anyways. Respectfully, we disagree.

13. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who are you talking about here? Kaepernick? Rapinoe?

14. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    Just hankering for another 'discussion' aren't you?

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    if a player protests something that they feel with their heart is worthy, then I respect that.

It's not as if Howard or Ream someone else are protesting immigration. These athletes who kneel or sit have an actual worthy message to express.

What annoys me is how much American people are willing to stomach. Some get so annoyed not at racism, but at the notion that someone will discuss it.

16. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Maybe you need to look up erudite. :p

nowherenova repped this.
  17. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Odd that you complain so much about something you voluntarily participate in.

If I insult you, it's likely because it's warranted. After all, of the characterization didn't fit, I wouldn't be saying it and it wouldn't bother you so much.

18. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just curious who you meant.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  19. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the aspect that this is just a sporting event - MLS, NBA, NFL, ect - I don't want to have the national anthem sung before every single game. Think about that. If the rating this season holds steady for the NFL, that is 15mil people who will watch at least 1 NFL game every week for 18 weeks plus the playoffs. That is a hell of a lot of national anthem singing for just a sporting event that gets a hell of a lot of watching. Add to that all the people watching in person. And then add to that each sport and their viewing audience. And then considering that it is year after year and after. To me, that is not just an inconvenience, that is indoctrination. I get that others don't see it that way, but I would also ask those who do...how many of their close social group was not born in the US? For those who have non-native born people in their close social circle, the attitude towards the national anthem being sung at a non-national team sporting event is probably going to be different than those who do not have non-native born people in their close social circle.

And on that, because the national anthem is played so often, at every single sporting event in every single professional league at every division, it lessens the meaning and impact to have it played/sung at national team games (soccer, NBA, hockey, etc). I come from a family of singers, and when I sing that song, it is akin to singing a song at a concert I attend, nothing more. It's actual meaning is almost non-existent because if how often it is sung.

That's the point, that the issues being protested have been in the background for years...decades. This protest is making sure that it is not background noise. And it is causing a conversation, like this. If you get tired of it being on the news 24/7, try living the life where it is 24/7 reality, and you don't get to escape it.

I'm not going to speak for anybody else on this, but one of the things which I have learned is that when I tell someone the position they hold is racist, they tend to think that I am calling them racist, which is not the case. Unfortunately people are so defensive with regards to racism that there is not a lot of understanding how calling a position and calling a person racist are two separating things.

I second this.

20. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. That's how it seemed America used to be.

It's also why have little to no respect for the Warriors, guys like Durant and Curry, who love complaining about political issues they don't agree with but when faced with the opportunity to go to the White House, sit down with Trump and engage in dialogue, state their concerns, discuss differences of opinion, they decide to hide from the opportunity instead.

Sorry, hiding from those you disagree with is not much of a statement. It's cowardly IMO. Getting in a room and opening dialogue carries far more weight. That's where real change will come from. If Reagan can sit down with Gorbachev, then it's quite ridiculous to be afraid to sit down with Trump and hash it out.

21. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope the players stand for the stupid song but give the black power salute instead of celebrating goals.

I am sure nobody would complain about that.

chad repped this.
  22. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be amazing.

chad repped this.
  23. delandis

delandis Member

May 18, 2016
    Dialogue with Trump? How's that working out for Iran?

24. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy deflection.

25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are asking a group of Black men to sit down with a person who said that "some" White Nationalists/Supremacists are "nice people."

EruditeHobo, Mahtzo1 and chad repped this.