Props to the Fans in Columbus [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Gmore, Sep 3, 2005.

1. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I agree. That was the best tailgate party (pre and post game) that I have ever been to. And the party at O'Shaugnessey's after the game was off the hook.

2. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what Monty thinks (or anyone else who was at both). Certainly the active supporters were better in Columbus. Pure numbers says that, although the opponent and other things probably made it more than just the numbers.

The thing about Salt Lake is that you had the vast majority of the crowd (maybe 2k of the 41k that were there were for CR and the rest were for the US) both supporting the US and knowledgable about it. They knew what they were watching, when to cheer, etc. (again, not that they didn't in Columbus, but that in Salt Lake, it was all for the US).

But again, let's not get into a "what was better" contest. Let's appreciate the positives and try to continue to raise the bar. I have a theory that it will be interesting to see if it comes to pass. What with the inbred training we all get through high school and college athletics, methinks that once the US really gets behind soccer, it can have an atmosphere that rivals if not exceeds anything else out there other than maybe the Korean. (That was pretty impressive, although it would be interesting to see how they do in games these days...)

I mean, think of college football venues like Nebraska, or the Cotton Bowl for Texas-OU, or ND-Michigan. I mean, the Ohio-Texas game this weekend is going to be something to see.

We just need to keep growing The Army - to quote from Queensryche, Spreading The Disease - until it isn't half of the North End of CCS, but is the ENTIRE North End. Then from there, it is half the stadium. And then from there, it IS the stadium. Well, maybe that last part is hoping a bit much since we'll never really get rid of the Golf-Fan Crowd (don't completely want to, either, since they are just as supportive of the team as the rest of us, just not as vocal about it.) But I think we can get 10,000 a game if we really push.

So - to everyone who was there on Saturday, that is your charge. The bar has been set. Do it again. Do it for the small countries as well as the Mexicos. Do it with an eye towards Germany - with the knowledge that we'll be in it with the English and Dutch and French and Italians and Germans and Spaniards.

It can't stop with September 3, 2005.

3. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Sorry, but there's no way that games against the "small countries" are going to be anywhere near as big as our games against Mexico. There are not going to be a lot of fans at the Panama game because:

1. We've already qualified
    2. Panama is not Mexico
    3. The game is on a weeknight

If you've been a long-time fan of the USMNT, you'll notice that fan support has grown every year, though, and 9/3/05 was bigger than 2/28/01. I suspect that our games during '09 are going to be better supported than our games were this cycle.

Support won't stop with 9/3/05, but it didn't start with 9/3/05. Just don't expect that level of support in the USA until we play Mexico again four years from now.

4. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that if we do well in the WC that this game (I mean US-Mexico at home in the Hex) in 2009 we should have a SA section that fills up the entire North End, now that would be off the hook.

5. Bigdog

Bigdog New Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Gone Fishin'
    It's the first time i have contributed to drinking a pub dry :D

6. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    I went into work this morning to pick up my pay and got the same line from co-workers.

7. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh me too.

8. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Phhf. Amateur.

9. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, no doubt. I'm just saying that let's try to keep as many of those new folk around as possible. Encourage them to stick with it. If it was someone's first game, have them come again next time - that kind of thing. Of course there is going to be a drop off - I'm just saying let's work as hard as we can to keep that dropoff to a minimum.

10. GOOOOAL!!

GOOOOAL!! New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Monty, Thanks for the photo of my wife and daughter. It was the only red we could find that fit! Always looking for that toddler size national team jersey. It was a great evening and an awesome way to spend a weekend!

Everyone had an spectacular time on the trip from Iowa. Aviva kept asking when we were getting to the game..... and we were still in Indiana! She didn't want to take a nap for fear of missing the game.

At the game we were right behind the goal in the SA section, 4th row. Got a couple of good streamers in the net after the goals. My daughter was so proud to hold up the blue stunt card with help from the guy in the cowboy hat behind us. She was high fiving everyone and had a great time. We sing the "Everywhere we go" song on walks and was psyced when she heard it start up the first time. She joined in and sang everything she could. Her favorite song, which we had to sing all the way back to Iowa, was "You're not singing over there". She had the pointing and everything going. She had such a good tiem that she wanted to go to a game on Sunday as well!

Just a note on how loud it was in the SA section: I didn't hear one announcement or hear a single whistle from referee!

After the game it reminded us of Suwon with the slow exit and singing just outside the stadium.

The after party was a lot of fun and great to talk with everyone we met in Korea and other games.

Side note for everyone with kids. We ask our daughter every night what her favorite part of the day was. My wife and I were expecting something like "singing, dancing, watching the game, partying at O, etc" but what we got was "I liked getting the cookie and strawberry". She got a left over cookie and a strawberry from one of the skybox attendants when we were singing on the way down the ramps after the game. It just goes to show you you'll never figure out the mind of a child!

US supporters are the best people in the world. You don't see someone for a year, but when you finally get together, it's like a family reunion! Great to see everyone and now off to Germany! :D

11. n4100

n4100 Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Philadelphia
    I don't really want to start something, but why do people who are in the Army seem to claim a superior fandom to those not there? I was in 209, right next to the Mexican section that was in the top middle. I would dare say that the fans up there, in their red, white, blue, and random shirts were just as loud, though not nearly as organized as SA. There were chants started up for the US in general and players as well. There were a few of us singing, "Adios" to the Mexicans as they started leaving the section early. They laughed at us, but it was all in good nature.

12. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    With any supporter's section you're going to get a feeling of elitism. What else would you expect? Many of these people travel all over the country (and world), together, spend tons of money and sing until they can't sing anymore for this team. Many have done it for years, and were there when the crowds weren't as large as they were last weekend. I feel that they (myself included for the last couple of years) have every right to think they're better (in some way, but not completely) fans than those that don't go to as many or don't sing as loud. It's just human nature in any situation in life where a person has been around a particular situation long time and have a tradition going on and then new people show up. The "old" members are left with the feeling of "where were these people for the last X number of years when I was screaming my head off and praying for days of glory?" That leads to words or actions that make those newer people feel like you think you're better than them.

I think a good analogy would be something similar to the 2004 Red Sox. There were fans of that team that had been fans since they were born and never won a Series. People who had rooted for that team for decades, with no reward. There were quite a few bandwagoners that jumped on with that team in recent year. While I'm sure the old fans appreciate the support the new fans give for the team, the old fans are also left wondering and feeling that the new fans don't deserve the feeling of victory and triumph because they didn't have as much invested. The people in Sam's Army have a lot invested and might feel this same way.

Now, don't get me wrong. Not one person in Sam's Army thinks down upon any other fans in the stadium. Every one of us realizes that it takes the other 20,000+ US fans in the stadium to make the atmosphere that we had. Every single one of us would high five any person wearing red, white and blue no matter where they sit for the game. We appreciate all fans, even those wearing the other teams colors. Some of us might just have a feeling of self entitlement when it comes to how "good" of a fan we are.

Also, none of this is to say that there aren't fans that have been traveling and supporting just as long but choose not to be in Sam's Army. That is awesome, and those fans are just as commited to this team as the folks in Sam's Army. And it takes those fans to make the games like last weekend special.

Help any, or did I just make it worse? :D

13. n4100

n4100 Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Philadelphia
    I don't think you made it worse, but gave me a perspective I wasn't looking from. I'm all for SA and those who can afford to travel around and watch them everywhere...amazed in fact. That said, there are tons of people who can't afford to do just that, but watch them on tv, listen on the radio, or check the scores online in a foreign country for two hours because they don't know where to see the match. You're right though, it does take the other 20,000, I just wish sometimes people would remember that, including Bruce.

14. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    That is one thing that I did leave out, that a lot of the folks just don't have the money to make it to all the games even though they want to. I too realize this, as I wanted to go to Hartford this year but couldn't afford it.

I think Bruce's issue was not with those that attend the games but those watching on TV. He's pretty much calling on all US soccer fans to tune in to the games so the ratings are better and therefore the major networks have no choice but to air the games.

15. n4100

n4100 Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Philadelphia
    In that case, I'm his man. Hell, I even get my boss to put it on at work (a small german restaurant) when they play, and MLS when I can talk him into it.

16. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think part of it is a mix of being more active and visible - and hence being more of a target for a response/abuse - and probably an inaccurate view that those that aren't in The Army don't travel/sacrifice for the team as much.

The latter isn't that big of a deal - I think you make a good point and most Regular Army will do as Ben1001001 did: go, "Oh - that's cool. Thanks!" and recognize you and what you do.

The former - it is quite a challenge to put yourself out there no matter what. No matter the odds, no matter the response (both from opposing fans - which is expected - and fans of the same team :( - which is frustrating as hell), to put on the red and raise the voice and bang the drum and the other interesting/odd/creative things that those in The Army does.

And while it probably seems easy to be in such a large group like The Army had on Saturday, bear in mind that at least 50-75% of those there had stood with The Army in places and times where the odds weren't so good. I've been to three USA-Mexico games, and we've been outnumbered as fans each time. I can tell you, that is not a comfortable feeling - but you overcome it, oftentimes with the help of your compatriots, your Brothers (and Sisters) in Arms.

So a lot of what you're seeing now is the "F yeah!" of those who have overcome years of abuse - of being told to sit down and shut up, of being mocked and laughed at, of feeling marginalized and ignored - not to mention the fact that to get that into the game, you feel it so much more in both directions, and that includes a lot of killer losses. It is why Keller and Hejduk are so appreciated because they "get it" - somehow, some way, they learned that it isn't easy (sometimes) to put on the Red and cheer for the boys.

Imagine being outnumbered 300 to what sure seems like 45,000. Or think of those who went down to Mexico for the USA games the past two qualifiers - 300 v. 100,000! Saturday night was a celebration of all that has been achieved and overcome. It isn't so much about looking down on the average fan as it is a celebration of all that has been achieved after so much sacrifice.

17. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    I hate to be the engineering nerd that I am, but if you're going to change my user name to binary please get it right.

BenC10101001101

:D

18. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a Rush fan, it was a reference to a song on GUP.

19. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Just tell her the "Dirty Sanchez" chants were because the Mexican keeper is known for not having good personal hygeine, and you'll be fine. ;)

Completely agree...and forget a year, there were people there and in Hartford that I hadn't seen since that Jamaica game in Foxboro in '01 or even longer ago.

20. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    :eek:

21. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're hardcore like that.

22. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More to the point, it's been very very rare for sections other than Sam's Army to stand and cheer and chant for 90 minutes in the past.

I will say that in Columbus for the first time, I'd have to say a good 90% of the stadium was on their feet the whole game and more vocal then usual. It's a start.

23. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    gosh, I did the same thing.

I went through this thought process - hmmmm. Drummer boy that can't be 1357. Maybe he's doing an ASCII/EBCDIC translation. hmmm no. :cool:

24. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000

Absolutely. It was so loud that it was very hard to hear much outside of SA though I was able to see a lot of people standing throughout (great job).

25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I was in the U.S. supporter's section during all 8 2002 WCQs. The secton rocked and rolled for the entire 90 minutes in Kansas City. And pretty much the entire game at Foxboro vs Jamaica.

The November, 1997 WCQ vs Jamaica at RFK also was a 90 minute rocker.