Proposed Americas Champions League

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by shizzle787, Mar 7, 2016.

1. shizzle787

shizzle787 Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would you like it? https://www.oneworldsports.com/stories/can-americas-champs-league-have-success

If they get over the travel concerns, I would be all for it. The plan would be to have a straight-knockout 64-team tournament featuring teams from the Americas.

How many berths is up for consideration, but here is my guesstimate:
    Brazil (6)
    Argentina (6)
    Chile (4)
    Colombia (4)
    Bolivia (4)
    Venezuela (4)
    Peru (4)
    Ecuador (4)
    Paraguay (4)
    Uruguay (4)
    USA (4)
    Mexico (4)
    Canada (1)
    Costa Rica (2)
    Honduras (2)
    Guatemala (1)
    Panama (1)
    El Salvador (1)
    Nicaragua (1)
    Belize (1)
    Caribbean (1)
    Title holders (1)

Teams from the same country can't meet until the Round of 16 (my guess).

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    No need for 64 teams though. 32 is plenty.

But since Mexico, which is roughly the same size as the rest of central America and all Caribbean countries combined, is already involved in Copa Libertadores I don't see how much value this proposal adds.

3. shizzle787

shizzle787 Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the thing: this MAY replace the Copa Libertadores and the Concacaf CL.

4. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The article mentions it is proposed as a complimentary competition to the Copa Libertadores and CONCACAF Champions League. It may get off the ground initially but its long-term survival depends on becoming the club competition for the Americas with a path to the Club World Cup. Otherwise it's just the next Superliga or Arab Champions League. As an aside, the USD 440M revenue projection is completely unrealistic in my opinion.

In order for this to truly work you have to merge Libertadores and CCL. And you can only do that if you merge the confederations as well. Makes sense to me but the politics around it aren't straightforward.

Unak78 repped this.
  5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I've little doubt there's strong potential for something like this, but the scheduling would be a nightmare and the travel could really, really add up for your international stars also pulling national team duty.

I think a feasible compromise lies within previous discussions of a mini tournament of the top 4 teams from each confederation competition. But even that won't seem appealing until teams from MLS or other CONCACAF nations become more competitive, otherwise simply adding Mexican clubs to the Libertadores is the optimal solution. Or possibly add MLS along with some Liga MX sides.

Either way, keep Charlie Stillitano out of it.

6. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    The project is leaded by MP & Silva. That is, without the approval of Conmebol.

The top teams have created a Liga Sudamericana, which is just an association. They have demanded more money to Conmebol.

If they don't get that they want, they could threaten with a breakaway from Conmebol.

7. holacomoestasamigo

Jun 25, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Interesting propose...

I think is absurd to have competitions involving teams (or national teams) from conmebol and concacaf... this shouldn't occur unless both confederations become one confederation which would mean that all national teams from both confederations would compete in the same world cup qualifying process... I think this would make sense! and would be fair! it is not fair that Mexico or any other country from concacaf competes in "certain" tournaments organized by south America but at the same time they don't seem interested in competing in south American qualifiers.... They aren't even interested in winning their right to participate in confederations cup by winning copa America.

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #8 HomietheClown, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    I can kinda see this working.

I think it would have to be the top 16 teams in the Americas. Maybe the Champions from the 10 CONMEBOL Clubs and the Top 6 CONCACAF Champions League teams. (Mostly Mexican Clubs obviously.)
    It would have to occur in the December-January-February months when there is not much else going on.
    Host it in Neutral Warm weather cities like Miami, Houston, Los Angeles, Orlando, San Jose, Arizona, etc.
    Have Univision hype it up and maybe it could be a success but It could be SuperLiga all over again. Or similar to the old Interliga.

9. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    It's summer in South America, why would we go to play to a wintery Florida, California or Texas?

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  10. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Money. Also, the locations listed are not cold climates.

11. italiancbr

italiancbr Member

Apr 15, 2007
    I've always said that merging Concacaf and Conmebol is a no-brainer because the confederations complement each other. One has good quality on the playing field but little influence within FIFA; the other has less quality but more influence. Of course I always get pushback about Caribbean countries getting ignored or South American countries not being interested but there are many more advantages than disadvantages: better competition for Concacaf teams which can only make them better and increased TV revenue for South American countries. There would also be more interest within the region and around the world. I think that both organizations realize this which is why they're having the Copa Centenario and are talking about a combined Champions League. They're just using these events as trials to see how much interest there is and how much revenue can be made. Obviously there was a lot of corruption in the past which is why top officials preferred to keep the confederations separate so that more people could receive kickbacks. But with all the arrests and increased scrutiny I think it just makes sense now to combine them.

Boloni86 and deejay repped this.
  12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think a merger between the two confederations will happen during my lifetime. No matter how much people think it would benefit both. The people who run things up top just won't let it happen.

But back to this event. It would be a made for tv type thing just like the Inter Liga and Super Liga. And I think it will make money but won't really have the impact people are wanting it to.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  13. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Conmebol already has a straight-knockout complimentary competition: the Sudamerica. The proposal is basically doubling the Sud.

14. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    If a 'made-for-TV' event hosted in the US is the goal then simply revive an expanded version of the Copa Interamericana.

15. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Conmebol doesn't won the Americas Champions League. South American clubs want it.

Conmebol doesn't want to lose the 4.5 guaranteed World Cup spots.

Conmebol doesn't want Caribbean federations to take any bites off their pockets, much less the United States

16. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  17. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    According to this Italian interview with Alessandro Nesta the competition is still in the works for 2019. 32 teams straight knock-out between February and November. Supposedly financed by new Chinese partners.

A native Italian speaker correct me if I'm wrong.

18. italiancbr

italiancbr Member

Apr 15, 2007
    That's the gist of it. They're awaiting the proposed investment of Chinese financiers and the finalization of guaranteed prize money from TV contracts. They'll have updates in the spring of next year (2017).

Also there was no mention of Caribbean or Central American teams, only North American teams, so I don't know how CONCACAF would get on board with this without inclusion from those parts.

I say combine both confederations into one or keep them separate. FIFA should be spearheading an effort to resolve this issue because both confederations are being run into the ground.

19. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Perfect, but the interviw was with Riccardo Silva, not with Nesta.

20. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    The 2017 Copa Libertadores was expanded into an annual tournament.

The preliminary stage will be played from January to February.
    The 32-team group stage will be played from March to May.
    R16 on July-August, QF in September, SF in October and finals in November.

6 teams will enter the first preliminary stage, and 13 teams the second stage.
    Four of those will enter the group stage, joining the other 28 teams already qualified.

21. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Winter in Florida isn't that bad. It's Fall in Florida that one must avoid... Texas weather is unbearable year round only because Texas weather goes by the motto, "noone puts Baby in a corner."