Projecting 2019 WWC Roster

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FawcettFan14, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Knight1Rider

Knight1Rider Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Oct 5, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She is very good, and deserves more attention for the NT, but she shouldn't make the WC roster over Morgan Brian.

2. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since it's official that US qualified for WWC 19' we can start predicting the 23 roster. Anybody want to have a go at who will make the cut and who will be just on the edge?

3. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GK - Naeher, Harris, Franch
    DF - O'Hara, Dunn, Dahlkemper, Sauerbrunn, Davidson, Sonnett, Short, Mathias
    MF - Horan, Ertz, Lavelle, Mewis, Brian, Zerboni
    F - Morgan, Rapinoe, Heath, Pugh, Press, Lloyd

Other potentials: Mace and Long
    Likely bubble players: Franch, Mathias, Brian, Zerboni, Press

4. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    Press is not a bubble player. I will go so far as to say if Pugh can't get into form, she will see less minutes than Press in the tournament. Press is reliably always healthy and the most versatile FW sub they have, able to slot in at all three positions. I don't think Brian is a bubble player, either, but her inability to stay healthy is pretty concerning. If not other injuries, I swear she hits her head on something every other match. She needs one of those headbands Krieger used to wear.

Airox and Knight1Rider repped this.
  5. Knight1Rider

Knight1Rider Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Oct 5, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brian and Press are not on the bubble.

Airox repped this.
  6. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha if my bubble player list is what's commented on then I'll take that as a compliment!

I say Press because despite her being obviously talented, nothing has really changed from 2015 when Press rode the bench for most of the tournament. I think Ellis doesn't really rate her, but has trouble finding anyone to actually replace her.

Brian because it's been straight downhill for her since 2015 with both injury and form. Even in these current Concacaf WCQs she's done little impressive. She's a good player to be sure, but will be over-looked for Horan, Lavelle, Ertz, Mewis, Lloyd (my own thoughts aside), and possibly even Zerboni.

These not to say you all are wrong! Just to share my thoughts.

CoachJon repped this.
  7. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #132 McSkillz, Oct 16, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    Here's mine early in the game assuming no injuries between now and June. Similar to Airox but swapped a few players in and out. These are the players who are going to WWC 2019 based on what Jill Ellis has been working towards.

GK - #1 Naeher, #2 Harris, #3 Franch
    DF - O'Hara, Dunn, Dahlkemper, Sauerbrunn, Davidson, Mace, Sonnett, Short
    MF - Horan, Ertz, Lavelle, Mewis, Brian, Zerboni
    F - Morgan, Rapinoe, Heath, Pugh, Press, Lloyd

I still say our vulnerable spots still lay in goalkeeper and right-back positions. For the first time in US soccer history, we don't have the best goalkeeper. They are good, they are still better than a lot of potential World Cup keepers but they'll never be as great as Hope Solo or Scurry.

8. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if this is right or wrong.

But, I'll say this: I have empathy for today's keepers. They're compared to keepers who never played against the level of competition the US has today. Or, are those who say the rest of the world is catching up to the US now saying that it isn't, and the current opponents are no better than those we've faced in the past?

9. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    some new, good/great player has got to appear between now and wc roster deadline, no?

actually, i think we might have a world’s best in franch. hard to be sure. she just has to wait her turn.

10. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sorry for the partial off-topicness, but this discussion about the level of goalkeeping in the world inspired me to open a thread on theme in the Women's International section of BigSoccer. Not sure if anyone is interested or if you're here to discuss USWNT roster only, but if you want to give a look and your two cents, it seems to me that it could be an interesting subject to discuss. :)

CoachJon and McSkillz repped this.
  11. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    ...hmm....

when mace returned from wnt duty, she was put in the left back slot, from which she scored 2 goals (admittedly in a blowout).

portentous signs?

12. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It helps that UCLA all of a sudden has been on a blowout streak the last 2 weeks. Looks like Mace and Fleming returned at the right time. I'm still confident that Mace could easily take that last spot if Cromwell helps her along by positioning her at left-back the rest of season and NCAA tournament. She makes a good alternate regardless.

socalsoccer23 repped this.
  13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hey, it's you @McSkillz? :eek: What about this new avatar?

14. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    After these European friendlies, I think Fox, Brian and Williams are out. I hope Mewis makes the roster; I think she brings a lot of positive intangibles in addition to her work on the field.

Kevin625 repped this.
  15. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Williams? She wasn't a part of the Euro camp. I wouldn't be surprised to see her get one more chance before the WWC though.

Kevin625 and blissett repped this.
  16. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I think Press is back in the picture. I think Zerboni will be there in the end as she is the only one that can do what Ertz does defensively.

GK: Naeher, Harris, Franch
    D: O'Hara, Sonnet, Dahlkemper, Sauerbrunn, Davidson, Dunn, Short
    M: Ertz, Horan, Lavelle, Mewis, Zerboni, Rapinoe, Pugh, Press, Heath
    F: Morgan, Macdonald, Lloyd, Mace

17. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    I highly doubt mace makes it, and doubt McDonald does either. They usually only take six forwards and heath, Press Pugh and rapinoe are all considered forwards now. I think Long or Brian will end up on the roster. Not sure who else.

18. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Spots 22 and 23 are always up for grabs. Do you bring another midfielder who you will probably never sub in? Or do you bring someone along who might be a future 100 cap player to get a taste of the tournament?

As always with the USWNT, much will depend on who is on contract with USSF. Jill has probably had to pick who gets a contract already and so, in many ways, has already picked her 26. It could be Press, Brian, Zerboni were competing for the last Tier 1 (that is what they call it right?) contract.

There could be a tremendous amount of turnover from the list last year. Campbell, Long, ARod, Smith, Williams could be replaced by Franch, Zerboni, MacDonald, Davidson, and Brian.

19. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    no love for ohai?

jnielsen repped this.
  20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If Ohai wanted a shot at this roster she really needed to put her personal life on hold and play in the w-league. She was hard done by the timing of her injury and there just isn't much NWSL season before the naming of the roster to change minds.

jnielsen repped this.
  21. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    My current WC roster tho not Ellis' apparently

GK- Naeher, Harris, Franch
    DF- Sauerbrunn, Dahlkemper, Davidson, Sonnett, O'Hara, Short, Dunn
    MD- Horan, Lavelle, Ertz, Zerboni, Mewis, Huerta
    FW- Morgan, Rapinoe, Heath, Pugh, Press, McDonald, Lloyd

McDonald - I really think she has added something watching the 4 games in Europe. I love her work ethic and could see her helping in certain matchup situation (ie France)

Huerta - if the 2 Eurotrips showed anything it's that Ellis doesn't have a reserve midfielder she likes at AM. Huerta solves that problem and takes away the need to move starters like Dunn from their regular positions to cover Attacking Midfield.

Patrick167 repped this.
  22. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree on McDonald, I think she adds something no one else can. But not on Huerta, I don't think she's proved herself. I think it's going to be Morgan Brian, she may not have been great recently but she's got a much better resume. I think Press also could double as an AM, at least based on the 2 Euro games.

Kevin625 and jnielsen repped this.
  23. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    ...the topic of some of my more recent sermons.

... good to see a few believers.

huerta?

no.

24. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well, then ur either happy with moving Dunn if Horan or Lavelle can't go or u have another candidate ud like to put forward. It's pretty plain Ellis doesn't like any of the other midfielders on her roster in those spots or she'd use them there.

25. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well Ive been saying play Press at AM for 2 years but it's pretty clear Ellis isn't listening. It's also pretty clear form Ellis' match selections that she thinks Brian is a #6 as r Zerboni and Ertz. She apparently isn't thinking much about Sullivan at all who has played some AM for the NT in the past. She gave Mewis about 20 minutes at AM over the course the last three matches, two of which she was missing a starting AM. What Ellis seems to be thinking is Dunn and Pugh provide enough cover that she doesn't need to actually roster a real reserve AM. Instead she seems determined to carry a bunch of #6s for whatever reason. I think she also is thinking Davidson can get field time at left back so she can move Dunn forward late in matches.

Kevin625 and Patrick167 repped this.