Projecting 2019 WWC Roster

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FawcettFan14, Feb 1, 2018.

1. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Im constantly amazed that Aubrey Bledsoe doesn't even rate a look with the #3 spot seemingly open.

2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If I picked it today my WC team today it would be

GK: (3) Naeher, Harris, Franch
    DF: (7) Sauerbrunn, Dahlkemper, Davidson, O'Hara, Short, Huerta, Dunn
    MF: (6) Horan, Mewis, Ertz, Zerboni, Brian, Lloyd
    FW: (7) Morgan, Press, Rapinoe, Heath, Pugh, Leroux, Ohai

Notes: Cant figure out what Franch does at NT practice that negates the way she plays in NWSL. Having Dunn & Huerta in with defenders gives them cover farther up. If ur gonna play Ertz as DM it only makes since to have another quality DM (Zerboni) to back her up. Left off Lavelle because she hasn't convinced me she can play an extended period of time. Threw in Leroux and Ohai because they both bring something different to the table coming off the bench. Leroux adds toughness and a heading presence on the front line. Ohai adds anarchy that might help a usually predictable team grab late goals.

jnielsen and Smallchief repped this.
  3. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I could go with that team, although Brian is a "maybe" depending upon how well she plays in the next few months. Possibly Long instead. I'd give Hinkle another try also.

4. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Long has played great as a defensive mid this year for Seattle. She reads games beautifully and is rarely out of position. Brian is the best distributor of the ball the NT has, I think. Will be interesting to see how the midfield shakes out. Bledsoe has arguably been the best goalie in the NWSL this year, IMO--made big saves all year.

5. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I took a look back at the last 3 U20 WWC rosters(2012, 2014, 2016) and was surprised how few are in the current full national team player pool. I guess it just shows how difficult it is to make the squad!

olelaliga repped this.
  6. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I personally think that the youth system fails at identifying quality and tends to stick to the same core players they liked at u14. Those players get exposed in the college and pro game while many who were overlooked shine

olelaliga repped this.
  7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think if ur carrying Ertz and Zerboni in the system they play u have DM covered. I think Brian or McCaskill gives u better cover at the two attacking mid spots. Im a little down on McCaskill after her start against China. Now its certainly fair if u wanted Long over Zerboni.

8. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The Hinkle thing isn't about her play so I don't think anything has changed.

9. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    McCaskill is not a wide player. Ellis had her playing very wide against China. I personally think she could add a lot more to the midfield than does Brian.

10. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Another interesting corollary is related to Stinks' comment above: How many in the current pool were not included (or even regularly included) in YNT programming before they were college age?

11. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cannot think of any off the top of my head, maybe Hatch?

12. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    #87 olelaliga, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    I did some research but didn't look everyone up.

Hatch, Mckaskill, Williams, Menges not included until college, u23s or later

Ertz was in one u14 camp, one u18 camp and then was added to the u20s because of college performance late in the cycle the year of the u20 WC. Not completely unknown but not a pre college youth regular.

Lavelle is similar to Ertz one u18 camp after she went to college and then added at u20 where the u20 wc was her break out with the golden ball if I remember correctly.

Huerta was at a single u20 camp (no younger camps) but was not selected to the u20 WC roster. She then switched her affiliation to Mexico and scored 3 goals for mexico at that WC.

Davidson has no youth camps listed before u18 She was part of a really hot norcal ECNL youth team called Deanza Force. Andres Deza was the coach and they had a bunch of videos for her '98 team showing possession soccer. Several of her teammates including Deza's daughter Luca (Berkely) and Davidson's Stanford teammate (Fong) were more regularly invited to younger youth events.

Hinkle was in the u17 pool and was chosen for CONCACAF qualifying. I think her year they did not qualify for the u17 wc. Was invited to a single u20 camp and then 2 caps for the u23s.

Sonnett not included until u18 camp and then no u20 call ups. Included again at u23

Seems there is a slight trend perhaps, but of course I did not do any statistical analyses: The older field players seem to have been more regularly included in younger YNT programming. The younger ones seem to be more variable in their trajectory.
    At the same time some of the younger players who were anointed early have seemed to fizzle.

13. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    I agree. I have seen Smith play with her club team, and with various aged YNTs. She scores most of her goals unassisted. She is really great at exploiting defensive mistakes: a loose touch, a bad pass, too much time, and finishing 1vgoal. There are a lot of defensive mistakes to exploit, even at the highest levels, in women's soccer. She has the separation speed to get free once she pounces, like Pugh, and that goes a long way. I think she could make a career out of this tactic.

She does not have the touch, finesse, unexpectedness(yet?) of a Kerr, but she is really outstanding at what she does do and that means she scores ALOT of goals. If she were male, I would say she has to add more to her game, but I am not sure that the women's game is progressing fast enough to diminish the success of this type of player.

14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Which is why the U20 WC stage is perfect for her. If she can exploit good U20 teams and create goals then there is no reason to believe that wouldn't translate to the NT coming off the bench. If she doesn't have a good U20 WC then u have to assume she is only able to exploit bad players and defenses and probably wouldn't be a factor at WC at this point in her career.

15. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    she has habitually scored against germany, france and brazil, but if she has a bad world cup u have to assume she is only able to exploit bad players and defenses?

(not calling for her to be on the team, btw).

16. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Smith will have plenty of time to make her mark on the national team, when she is ready. There is no need to push her onto it prematurely, as I would contend that Pugh was. Pugh is only now coming into her own and didn't really deserve to be made a starter two years ago, IMO.

olelaliga repped this.
  17. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    An idea when the USWNT Tournament of Nations roster will be released?

18. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    #93 luvdagame, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  19. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    ohai!!!

hope she survives the cut.

she scares defenders, gets good crosses in all the time, and scores!

she needs to be tried in that pugh slot where mckaskill did so poorly last time.

kernel_thai repped this.
  20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    She has scored in like 9 straight matches so she has scored against all comers but the WC is different from friendly competition or CONCACAF. If she plays well against teams like Japan and Spain in real matches then it tells me something about her. If she doesn't then I don't see what u gain giving her a roster spot over a pro player.

21. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I hope Ohai gets some time on the left side. After she scored that goal against Switzerland (from the left) Ellis immediately moved her to the right side where she is less dangerous.

And the thing about Ohai, if ur playing her a lot like in the league u can get a handle on what she is doing, but if u haven't played her before like in a tournament, she's got to be a load to defend.

22. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    she won't get much.

pinoe.

23. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Or Heath with Pinoe taking Pugh's spot. Ohai's best chance with this group is impact sub. Put her in at 75 against tired defenders and let her drive them nuts.

jnielsen repped this.
  24. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    ok.

i've been thinking lately that press needs to be replaced on the team.

probably with mcdonald, who brings more of a scoring punch, and who gives the opposition another scary player to deal with re headers in the box both on offence AND defence.

.... waits for fire to rain down....

Patrick167 repped this.
  25. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Without actual saying anything about ur Press vs McDonald opinion I offer this. Barring injury not sure Press, McDonald or whoever figures in much at this point. Sure ud see them get time in mop up roles against the CONCACAF weak sisters but when u get to the few matches that matter and only have three subs not sure either one sees the pitch enough to matter.