Projecting 2019 WWC Roster

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FawcettFan14, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Attackers (5)
    Morgan, Pugh, Rapinoe, McCaskill, Hatch

Midfielders/Central (8)
    Ertz, Mewis, Horan, Brian, Sullivan, Lavelle, Heath, Lloyd

Defenders (7)
    O'Hara, Dunn, Sauerbrunn, Davidson, Dahlkemper, Huerta, Sonnett

Goalkeepers (3)
    Naeher, Harris, Franch

Dunn and Heath can move to attackers if necessary. Ertz can move to Center Back if necessary. Long is the replacement if any midfielders are injured.

But, or course, it's likely that 2 or 3 of the above will be injured for the world cup, so.....who else?

FawcettFan14 repped this.
  2. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would put Short over Huerta, maybe even Sonnett, if Sonnett is going to be playing outside back.

3. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    O'Hara can play both fullback positions and if Sonnet can play RB, you could bring one less defender; if that is what Jill wants to do. Then you could bring another attacker like Press.

4. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huerta has hardly played.

5. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This is an oddity on the national team. Huerta hardly plays -- but the National Team gives her a lot of prominence in its propaganda. Well, she does have a good story, Idaho, the Mexican team, etc. But would she be given so much attention by the NT if it wasn't going to keep her on the team?

Anyway, if picking her for the U.S. national team squad for WC 2019, I think she has more upside for the offense than Sonnet and Short. And Ellis likes outside backs who can get forward.

6. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I'm convinced the P.R. people at USSF have zero contact with the coaching staff. This past USMNT friendly they hyped Antonee Robinson to no end and he never got off the bench. They put out videos and press released about the U20 stars from RSL getting their first shot at the senior team in January. All the players were sent home early.

It almost feels like Huerta was recruited with some promises of camps and she is getting them. But JE is not really interested in her. I think she can cross better than everyone on the team except O'Hara and Rapinoe; but she at no time seems to really be in the plans. I'm not sure she can play fullback but would be giving her all the shots given recently to Smith at least.

7. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Huerta, but until she gets consecutive starts, or at the least a few more caps, I doubt she will be on the World Cup roster.

8. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heath is back in training, progressing well. She won't play in this weekend's Thorns game, but may play in next week's game.

MiLLeNNiuM and lil_one repped this.
  9. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is going on with Rose Lavelle? She has been out a long time, must of been a severe hamstring injury.

10. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yaaaaaayyyy!!

11. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaWhooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

12. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Set Piece Receivers
    Set Piece Takers
    Rapinoe and McCaskill (limited sample size but she is either very skilled or very lucky - - I believe the former)
    Position Flexible
    O’Hara and Crystal (JJ)
    Defenders
    Becky and Davidson – T performs like she has 70 Caps and is only going to get better.
    Midfield Anchors
    Brian and Andi
    I can’t and don’t want to imagine a major competition without
    Tobin and Carli (I know, I know)
    Speed, speed and more speed
    Lynn and Mal

Alyssa – HCJE has made this clear
    …and
    because she is coming back to form
    because she will remain injury free
    because she is incredibly awesome
    because she will be a goal scoring machine
    > > my 2nd WWC prediction – your Golden Boot and Golden Ball Winner:
    Alexandra The Great

That’s 16, I will stop there because I do not possess the Soccer I.Q. and lack the intestinal fortitude to start leaving players off a roster. <New Rule>Defending Champs should get 26:D:D:D

Standard Disclaimer: BWTHDIK

CoachJon repped this.
  13. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a question. Is there any current national teamer that wasn't in the ODP program? It would seem to be a broken system if you have to be identified at age 14 to ever have a shot making the full national team.

14. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think its true that the PR people are not making coaching decisions, but at least on the women's side its not true that the PR people have no contact with the coaching staff. The main media person on the women's side is Aaron Heifitz and has been for a long time; he travels with the team and is always around at practices and games. I'm confident that he has no say in coaching decisions. I also don't know how much he's even writing articles for the USSF website, but he's definitely more on the inside as far as knowing what's going on behind the scenes and what the coaching staff might be thinking.

15. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    No coach in their right mind would leave Christen Press off of their roster. In fact, I think that under any other coach (not USSF stooge and all around clueless Ellis) she would be the starting CF over Alex if they couldn't get on the field together in a formation. A bunch of NWSL coaches have said if they could have any forward in the league it would be her. Has anyone been watching her in Sweden? She is such a talent and scores goals like no one else can in the US. I got really tired of watching the front line struggle in the SBC and Alex should have been pulled from those matches at some point. A front line of Pugh, healthy Pinoe and Press would be absolutely deadly, I'm certain of that.

16. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I couldn't agree more. Press is extremely talented, has been for a long time, and for me the fact that Morgan gets the starts and more PT is just one of those subjective personnel decisions that coaches make. Never underestimate the subjectivity factor in personnel decisions--in sports, in life. There's a lot of it.

Patrick167 repped this.
  17. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    It's simply mind boggling to me that she was never given the opportunity to play 90 minute games for stretches of time. I'm not even that versed in soccer, but just the eye test tells me that Press (in 2018, this wasn't always true IMO but she has improved) is more dynamic, a better playmaker, faster, and much more clinical in front of goal. The one thing Alex is is probably physically stronger and more fearless (some would say reckless). She can be effective, but she's not the obvious starter to me at this stage by any stretch. In past years? Maybe, but I don't think her game has aged as well as some say.

18. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    #43 luvdagame, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    as always, different eyes.

love press!

but no way would i play her ahead of morgan - especially in big games.

with morgan? yes. altho i'm not sure who i'd sit to play her. is she better than pugh? pinoe? don't think so.

but instead of morgan? no. except to give morgan a rest against poor opponents.

not the only essential in measuring these two, but one of the many things that my 'different eyes' totally disagree with.

Patrick167 and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  19. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Also never underestimate the subjectivity factor in one's own assessment of the subjectivity factor in coaches' personnel decisions. There's a lot of it, too.

I really really like Press; but I think she's about 1/3rd the player Morgan is when the other team has the ball and about 1/10th the player in transition, and that all counts too...

20. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    I would have agreed as recently as a year and half ago. Morgan's run of injuries seemed to take away some of the dexterity in her favored left foot and she just wasn't sharp. Her best days appeared well behind her. Meanwhile Press seemed like best option to take over Alex's role. I wasn't ready to run her out on rails but honestly I was over Alex after being a strong backer of her for years. But over the last year she's rekindled that feel and spark that she seemed to lose. It gives me hope that Tobin will overcome her health issues to re-emerge at or near the top of her game again like Alex.

I do think Press should play centrally rather than on the wing and I prefer her there when she and Morgan are on the field together. But I like her best as the backup to Alex. I don't believe Morgan needs to start every single match though. I would give Press some starts and more minutes in these friendlies. But come the big events and critical matches I have more faith in Alex right now than any of the other options.

21. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    The obvious solution to me is to build a formation around both of them at central positions, with Press at the 10 or false 9.

22. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    This is a good team. The only major change I would make is including Press. She rightly was left off the squad recently for being without a club team. But she has rectified that. I still think she acted superior to the Dash and I don't like that, but she is her own person and made her decisions, and I can separate my personal opinions from my impartial assessment of a player. Simply put I don't think you leave someone with her skill and finishing ability off the squad entirely.

At this point, who she replaces is probably Hatch, McCaskill or Lavelle. It also is disappointing to leave Lynn Williams off the team. Her speed is so deadly. But that inconsistent finishing problem of hers is showing no signs of improving.

I've been omitting Huerta until now, but her club form with Chicago is great. Albeit as an attacking mid, and the WNT is already stacked in that area. Huerta as a RB is still questionable to me. If Lavelle never recovers, maybe you take Huerta as a mid and add an extra defender or forward.

23. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I think McCaskill will be left out--and should be left out--unless there are injuries to the above list. I haven't been all that impressed by her, and you are not taking her over Press--that would be plain stupid--and you are not taking her over the midfielders listed either. I see her making the squad only if there are injuries, which of course there could be. Speaking of which, what is the deal with Lavelle? I read yesterday that she injured her hamstring in June of 2017--that is nearly 11 months ago. One assumes it was a bad hamstring pull--and they can take a long time to heel properly--and it has been a long time. Maybe she is being extra careful, but wow....

24. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mmmmmmman I love Ali Krieger - - check that, I love, Love, LLLLOVE Ali Krieger. I mean H. hers was the first (of many:D:D) Jerseys that I purchased. To this day during Matches, I glance over and just expect to see her at RB. It pains me to my core to arrive at the same conclusion.

I’m surprised she didn’t get a try as a CB for the NT considering her Club experience. Maybe she did and just didn’t cut it. She might be a victim of the recent 2 year HCJE grand experiment of having all 10 field players as offensive threats. So whether it is performance, circumstance or that b*stard Father Time, my hope hope hope hope of a resurgence are dwindling or totally extinguished even for me.

Of all of the characters and crazies that I have met in my extensive travels to Matches in the last 4 years, there is something wonderfully different about Ali Krieger fans. I think I can tell the difference between the true believers and the posers. Close your eyes and imagine my passion on steroids……THAT is the median level of feeling that the Krieger Fever folks have for their girl. I love it, applaud it and wish we had 10’s of thousands more fans just like them.

I can’t foresee the future, but unless you want to have 150-200 fans trying to gain admittance to a USWNT match with lit torches, I would advise Jill/USSoccer tread lightly, courteously and respectfully.

Ali's Greatest Moment in a stellar career.​
    ali.jpg

25. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Six weeks into the NWSL season, I think you have to add McCall Zerboni's name to the conversation. If playing form is anything to go by (as it should), Ellis would at minimum be calling her up for camps. If the World Cup were this summer, I'd trust Zerboni in midfield over Brian, Long, and Lloyd. Her durability is also in stark contrast to Lavelle and Heath. In addition, Mewis and Ertz are battling back from injuries (though neither has an injury-prone history). It sounds like Mewis's knee condition is something that could flare up again.

Zerboni has few weaknesses in her game. Not a speed demon, but moderately fast. Along with Fishlock probably the grittiest player in the league, but doesn't commit too many costly fouls. Her positional instincts have benefitted the Courage a few times, bagging goals off loose balls in the box. Accurate passer who knows how to use her body to create space. And has displayed skills this year I didn't know she had, like scoring on a direct free kick.

Will be 32 years old when the World Cup kicks off. Traditionally USWNT has been guilty of overstocking the team with veterans. But in this case it is deserved.

Namdynamo and BlueCrimson repped this.