Project24 - Stage 6 - Fulham V Arsenal

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by crazy150, Oct 4, 2018.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. But in my mind, there's a difference between a few tangential comments about a stat relevant to a specific match, and a page or two of posts mostly about the general philosophy behind said stat.

xG is a hot topic, and a somewhat controversial one. You can hear that amongst pundits. Some have adopted it hook-line-and-sinker, and others roll their eyes. I'm somewhere in between.

I have ZERO problem with people who are xG zealouts. I was only suggesting, in a nice way I thought (I even used a friendly ;) emoji) that maybe the general discussion/debate about xG warrants it's own thread on this board. That's the nature of this place... threads focused on certain topics: specific matches, specific players, owners/takeovers, kits, definition of success, and last but not least managers who might've overstayed their welcome. :D

I won't speak for anyone else, like @thebigman, but I'm fine with people making xG references that are relevant to a given MD thread. And although I'm not a big "stats guy", they definitely hold some interest. But I've always thought that the reason for different focused threads on BigSoccer was to discuss and debate in depth on one area. So when a conversation seriously veers off on some tangent, and it stays there for a few pages of posts, then I naturally start to think "hey, maybe this convo should be in a dedicated thread?"

p.s. If my general comments about the structure and etiquette of this old bulletin board cause us to veer too far away from the topic at hand, I truly apologize ;) And I am happy to end this tangent quickly!

2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yeah - he already has over 500 first team appearances on the clock so is getting high mileage

I have wondered a bit if some of the strange absences indicate a more serious issue

In this case he has done the big travel miles, then come back with back spasms

Hopefully it is nothing but I am getting suspicious

Without his sprints he will have to change his game a lot

3. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We'll outperform xG mightily if we finish chances like we did against Fulham. All five of those goals were quality.

NorthBank repped this.