Project24 - Stage 4 - Arsenal v Everton

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by crazy150, Sep 21, 2018.

1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Agree - that was a great example of it.

I think he expected Ramsey to make a run towards him into the space and he has a free hit on the square ball. But instead Ramsey holds near the defender and then the pass is nearly behind him and he makes a real hash of it.

It's like they just aren't quite clicking

2. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Looking at replays, I think Ramsey was trying to set it up for his left foot and he might have had a shot if PEA hadn't been there. Either way, he got credit for both assists.

3. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Instead of clearing the ball, mustafi tries to take a touch. He pulls it off but is closed down and then lunges after the ball taking himself out. Sok then has to foul just outside the box or they are in on goal. If you look at it after sok tells mustafi to just clear the ball.

4. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I saw that too.

I quite liked the game Holding had after he came on. He looked confident and composed.

5. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, let's get funky!!!

This classic proves that Curtis Mayfield is more than just Superfly!!!

6. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba

Agree. Pass was fine, ozil rolls it slowly so Ramsey can run onto it and slot home. Ramsey just gets his feet mixed up. Pretty shit game from both of those two honestly. Especially from ramsey.

Neither one created other quality chances which is pretty sad from your two attacking midfielders. Ramsey 0/5 on tackles, 0 take on, 0 interception, dispossed 4 times, only 4 passes in the box one of which was the offside assist. He did start our best move of the first half but other than that very poor.

The Jitty Slitter and BIGHMW repped this.
  7. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    1043912503892344833 is not a valid tweet id

8. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah we got a break alright, that SHOULD'VE been offside, apparently the linesman must've had a pint before the match.

9. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Played like doodoo for the bulk of the match but still won. I'll take it.

10. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yes that is a much better camera angle

It's a typical Ozil move - he throttles back to idle and waits for Rambo to pull off the defender which he does brilliantly, but for some reason he is backing away and seems to lose his balance as the pass comes in? He should be moving to the ball.

Hard to know what is going on there - should have been an easy finish

ETA Does he slip on his left foot? seems to get in a hell of a mess

11. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Yeah this. Cech was great. We played the ball out of the back when we could, but we didn't make a fetish of it which is an improvement. Torreira, Lacazette were great, I can't find any fault with Holding either. We've been sticking with Mustafi all season, hard to see why really, hope Holding gets a chance moving forward.

Xhaka was bad, and Ozil was dreadful. As I was watching the game it occurred to me that Ozil was especially lazy, and uncharacteristically inaccurate even. Then I heard Lee Dixon have a go at him over the telecast, and then was even worse after that. If anything, it gives some credibility to the rationalization that he had a cold before, that's what he looked like. And if I ever wanted to prove that stats in football are a lie, I'd just show this game. If those are elite stats, the stats are ********ed up.

For me, Torreira and Lacazette have been our two best players this season. So until we can figure out anything better, our best bet is to assume that Lacazette is a 30 goal a year guy, and feed him at every opportunity.

12. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    For the record, goal looked offside but considering over the last 5 years I have seen countless shit goals like that go against us its good to see them actually fall our way for once.

banco repped this.
  13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #88 NorthBank, Sep 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    I haven't watched it yet. But maybe Mustafi was playing Emery ball? And Sokratis was just using common sense risk-benefit analysis?

I find myself yearning for the latter quite often.

14. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Except for the pass that Ramsey made for the assist on the first goal.

15. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Highlights here!!! Martin Tyler calling the action nevertheless!!! COYF'n'G!!!

NorthBank repped this.
  16. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    #91 The Jitty Slitter, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    Early doors but Arse doing better at same stage (+2) and same games (+5)

crazy150 repped this.
  17. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Was a 0.05 XG chance he created for lacazette who did all the work. Nothing special about that pass, your grandma could have got that assist.

When you see the numbers, it really is shocking the output of ozil and Ramsey.

We are winning so I’m okay to t let Emery go through his process, but he really is going to have to decide something on Ramsey and ozil.

Ozil hasn’t been great this season but better than Ramsey so I think he has to make way for miki or iwobi.

18. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Issue with Ozil is systemic:

19. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    On the other hand though, Arsenal scored two transitional goals.

Ozil key on one of them. Ramsey key on both of them

20. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Interesting

Basically having to use 3 midfielders to do the job of 2, which also means no place for Mhki

21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm far from being an XG expert but 0.05 for Ramsey's pass?? XG seems to be one of the more subjective stats that there is. I'm not trying to defend the performances of Ramsey or Ozil yesterday. But I would say that Ramsey's pass for the first goal was VERY good. And IIRC, it was Mesut who started that play with an extra-effort recovery of the ball and a quick dish off to Aaron.

All of the above is from memory of watching it at the time. I haven't gone back to look at highlights. But I don't think my memory is so decrepit yet that I necessarily have to. ;)

casoccerdad47 repped this.
  22. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    That's what I posted above

Arsenal did bugger all on attack but did score off two excellent transitions where Ramsey and Ozil were key (along with superb finishing).

But clearly that is no long term strategy

23. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm not sure how bad at math you have to be to suggest xG is somehow subjective. .05 seems about right for Lacazette's shot: 15 yards out, to the left of goal seems like the kind of shot location that's been consistently below .1 over the years we've had this data.

Most xG models are basically: a shot from this location is this much xG based on historical averages. You can argue the merits of the various models or the merits of these approaches, but we're unlikely to get more robust data, because the clubs have started bringing this stuff in house.

Same thing happened in baseball and basketball, which is why baseball analytics has been OPS-centric for the past 15 years.

bandwagongooner repped this.
  24. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    If Ramsey is going to play at 10, IMO mhki is a better option for right wing.

He has lots of goal threat and assists in him as a genuine right sided attacker.

I am not convinced by Auba at LW

25. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Miki may be hurt, but the problem is that we keep trying to get all of Ozil, Ramsey, Laca, and Auba on the pitch at once. The approach is wrong. We can fit three, possibly, but not all four, and Ozil and Auba should be non-negotiable.

Agree that our best lineup has Miki and Ozil, with Auba at striker. I'd rather play Iwobi on the left and Ozil central than try to shoehorn Ramsey into the side. The attacking balance is off, but without any increased defensive nous.

I don't understand what Emery is trying to do here.