Project24 - Stage 3 - NUFC v Arsenal

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by crazy150, Sep 11, 2018.

1. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    upload_2018-9-11_9-53-57.jpeg

Where: Mike Ashley Stadium
    When: Saturday Sept 15th, 10:00am EST
    TV: NBC gold (premium) I think.

Six points so far, 18 to go. Historically AWs sides didn’t seem to fair well in the first match post international break. This will be Emery’s first chance to show a different mentality in this regard.

Given that Emery is known for his preparation, I’m hoping he has used the time to cook up something good for Rafa. I think the probability of a draw is quite high, but I’m hopeful of win.

Annoyingly, I think this one is only on NBC gold in the US.

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mike Ashley Stadium... haha... wouldn't the fans just love that? Given how well they took to it being SportsDirect. ;)

And yes this is definitely on Gold. Chelski & Citeh are on the the two 10am broadcast channels.

As for the match itself, we're probably going to see how well we do when we're allowed to own the ball... for the 2nd straight game. Personally I think Laca deserves a start, and the coach just has to work out a line-up to accommodate him.

3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We should win

They are a stubborn side though

4. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's such bullshit that our match has been relegated (as have Arsenal according to NBC/Comcast) to that Gold crap, now that I am FORCED to pay $300.00/month of my $873.00 I get from Social Security Disability in rent (my late mother's trust fund, set back in 2001, pays most of the bills, including all utilities, my web, and my dish, but, not including car insurance, phone, gas, food, car repairs or website maintenance for BIGHMW.com, and it is now running very low on money) so I now have to shell out 3 bills every month just to keep from winding up homeless.

Alice's entire SSDI check goes to her half of our bills that the trust pays, but does not go to any of MY bills.

Pretty soon it might be time for us to make some hard decisions, like (perhaps) ditching the dish (DISH customer since 1997) and just going with my Atari 5200 (I have SD card-powered multicarts for both 5200 and 2600 games, when I use the Atari 2600 adapter) and my somewhat compromised VHS and DVD collections (including my Arsenal 2002-03 and 2003-04 season review and "Invincibles" DVDs I imported Region 0, but in PAL format) for our visual entertainment, as well as my massive collection of music in various formats (LP/CD/Cassette), in which I have had to sell most of (but not before making copies onto both MiniDisc and CD-R so we still have the music just not the original one) to pay my bills.

Due to long-term unemployment, over the past several years I have had to liquidate all sorts of gear, including almost all of my VfL Wolfsburg, Arsenal, and Seattle Sounders jerseys in which I had been collecting since 2010, and yes, even some of my Los Angeles/Oakland/Las Vegas Raiders gear (old-skool Los Angeles Raiders fan since 1982 when they moved to LA from Oakland) not including the gear I currently wear onstage as both The Heavy Metal Warrior (with S.M.F.) and as AK47, and, yes, I might even have to sell most of my LA Kings gear I have collected since becoming a Kings fan on my days growing up in LA (born in Panorama City, CA in 1966 and became a Kings fan in 1975, at 9 years old) and I already swore that over my dead body would I ever sell any of it under any circumstances. Period. If it came down to supporting ONLY ONE team in ONLY ONE sport it would HAVE TO be The Kings, sorry guys, but when you have been growing up cheering for them since I was a kid, you just don't do that.

.....and if you think that my trust fund is going to pay for Gold just so I can watch the few Arsenal matches on it for $50.00/year I've got news, it ain't gonna happen. :( F*** NBC/Comcast and their stupid ripoff scheme known infamously as Gold!!!

5. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Don't you guys have decent internet over there? We just got half decent internet here in Aus (should be fibre, but this is what happens when you have idiots in charge of tech) so I stream matches through links off reddit.

Anyway, we will snag another away win. AubaZette will combine for 3 goals, and one of our defenders (probably Mustafi) will have a moment of sheer lunacy.

Arsenal win 3-2.

BIGHMW repped this.
  6. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Me too. Truth be told, we have enough quality for a win and should get one.

For me at least, the key is Emery's preparation, just like you said. It's possible that Emery feels he was forced into certain personnel and formation choices for the games so far. Not so much because of political or contract issues, but about fitness, how long a player has been in training with Arsenal, how well they can adapt to perhaps an unfamiliar system, etc. As time goes by, this becomes less plausible. Deeper into the season, whoever plays is there because Emery thinks he's the best we have.

And to that end, this game is kind of a turning point. Two weeks between games, and some of the players who aren't on international duty get a chance to heal.

In particular, I've been less than sympathetic to the idea that implementing Emery's system is more important than winning fixtures. On the other hand, you can say in Emery's defense that if we can't implement the system at the beginning, after training for this in the preseason, you've got no chance in December or February where you play three games a week at the heaviest.

But whatever we can be said about any of this, we are playing Emery's system now and it's up to him to show some return on the investment. Ultimately, the reason we're playing it is because it helps us win. So, to that end I want to either see us playing it very well, or less dogmatic about it. I don't care whether we play it out from the goalkeeper's feet so much, but I do know we have to get sustained possession in the opponents' half, and we have to do a much better job of moving it through the lines. If we are simply passing to ourselves in our own half, I think we have to regard that as a failure.

Emery has had two weeks to look at the tape, so I'm sure he sees the same thing I do, and we all do. Let's see how he adapts.

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    <48hrs before KO and only 7 posts. :(
    Did the interlull really put everyone into a coma?
    Or is it because we're playing Newcastle?
    Or perhaps the death of BigSoccer should be front-burnered again? ;)

8. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Ya, I think the interlul put everyone off. No drama, no controversy, no lineups or performances to argue over.

9. naggi

naggi Member

Feb 15, 2002
    san francisco
    The 64K question is where to stream of the game without being fleeced by corporate entities you're already paying for additional $.

10. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Reddit has a soccer streams subreddit,

reddit.com/r/soccerstreams/

People post threads, and in those threads for matches people post streams.

11. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it legit? ....or am I gonna get a virus someway somehow like what happened 5 years ago watching VfL Wolfsburg away to Hannover 96 on Spieltag (Matchday) 1 of the 2013-14 Bundesliga season through FirstRowSports.eu???

BTW, QUICK NOTE for us kit junkies who HAVE TO REP our club wearing the same kit the boys will be donning: we will be in those god-awful (but Arsenal traditional so we have to although PUMA did a horrible job on it) red/white primary kits, and our GK will be wearing that spiffy green keeper strip.

How many agree that the green GK strip JUST MIGHT BE the best of all 5 kits PUMA have put out for The Gunners this season??? I just might think so, followed closely be the away navy/red strip.

12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reddit is the place I go to find the odd match but I can't watch otherwise.

Nobody can guarantee that you won't get a virus. There's always some risk involved in using random streaming sites.

You just have to hope your security software on your Computer is protecting you well enough.

But if you have any doubts about that then it's probably best to just skip it.

13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #13 NorthBank, Sep 15, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    Cech starts.

Ozil starts.

Laca & Auba start.

And...

Guendouzi starts.

That's the biggest head-scratcher. What's with Torreira that keeps him on the bench?

14. Sleepy Spaceman

Sleepy Spaceman Member+

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  15. Sleepy Spaceman

Sleepy Spaceman Member+

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Download acestream.

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just noticed that Isaac Hayden is playing. Hmm... he might just have something to prove today.

17. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ******** NBC gold.

Finally a Saturday game and it’s on a hat.

Not sure if I feel like battling streams or not.

BIGHMW repped this.
  18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just saw the difference between our two center backs right there. Sokratis > Mustafi.

19. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just start Lichsteiner and play Bellerin as a winger.

20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After 30' we've given up 7 corners. That is NOT a good lookin stat.

21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A brilliant tackle by Sokratis. To stop a counter.

22. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sloppy non sense. I have no idea what Arsenal are doing. Terrible

23. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe I'm relegated to the scorebug on the top right of my screen, right now at The Etihad it's "typical City", as they lead Fulham 2-0 in the 35th minute.

A far cry from what "Typical City" used to mean back in the day, between when they last won in 1968, (when they played at Maine Road, and were relegated 4 different times, and were even in the third tier at one point), until they finally won the title in 2012, since then they have amassed A TON of trophies (including the League Cup at our expense in the Final at Wembley), and have won the title 3 times in 6 years, how many have United won since 2012?

one.

24. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we get a rich Russian oil baron or a Sheikh to buy our club? City (Sheikh Mansour) and Chel$ki (Roman Abramovich) seem to have a knack for winning, both clubs have rich owners who actually give a shit about winning.

"Stan Kroenke, GET THE F*** OUT OF OUR CLUB!!!"

- Anthony "Bully" Hall - Arsenal Fan TV legend and hardcore Gooner.

25. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact Emery still has Torrereia on the bench with Douzi and Xhaka combo starting really makes me question his abilities.