Professional Development Leagues thread

Discussion in 'England' started by The Guardian, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Forgive my ignorance but in what relation does Schoolboys playing U18 football compare with previous years? More than usual or less?

2. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Some clubs its harder to crack it than others. Some clubs prefer not to use the option.

Juni might have the answer to this. But I have been thinking with the increasing threat of trying to keep all players happy and losing players recently I have found it interesting that Sam Iling is straight on the u18 bench for them.

Man Utd for example just haven't had the talent bar Greenwood in recent years and now Shoretire/Forson getting on in u18 games.

Arsenal always been open to schoolboy involvement.

Man City basically have an u18 squad covering both 23s/18s so it allows schoolboy involvement this season which has been happening more and more at City.

Honestly don't know the actual answer. Probably need the stats.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  3. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #1278 Juni, Aug 21, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Across Cat 1 the last three seasons:

First-year usage has dropped from 47.6% of all available appearances to 44.8%
    Second-year usage has risen from 43.3% to 44.7%
    Schoolboy usage has risen from 9.1% to 10.5%.

I don't think the changes are big enough to suggest a trend has been taking off, but because clubs have the option to school their own players these days, and many do on site, those schoolboys tend to feel more familiar earlier and are involved at higher levels a little earlier, even if the appearances aren't there to back it up. They're training daily with the upper groups, have agreed scholars, and hit the ground running when they get there too (as in, they might not play any more often, but anecdotally they're of a high standard when they do).

4. https://www.ed.nl/psv/noni-madueke-...en~ab122196/?referrer=https://www.google.com/
    De een zijn dood is ook in de voetballerij de ander zijn brood en dus mocht gisteren de Brit Noni Madueke (17) debuteren bij Jong PSV. Hij viel een half uur voor tijd in en bracht wel leven in de brouwerij, maar scoren lukte nog niet. ,,Ruud van Nistelrooy (trainer PSV onder 19, red.) belde me zondag en vertelde dat ik bij Jong PSV zou aansluiten. Natuurlijk was ik blij en ik heb me zo goed mogelijk proberen voor te bereiden. Uiteindelijk is dit waar ik voor naar Nederland ben gekomen. Ik wil mezelf ontwikkelen en daar hoort ook de stap naar Jong PSV bij, waar ik me met volwassen mannen kan meten. Het spel gaat iets sneller en is ook fysieker dan bij PSV onder 19."

The one his death is also in the football the other his bread and so yesterday the Brit Noni Madueke (17) was allowed to make his debut at Jong PSV. He came in half an hour before time and managed to bring life to the brewery, but didn't score yet. ,, Ruud van Nistelrooy (trainer PSV under 19, ed.) called me on Sunday and told me that I would join Jong PSV. Of course I was happy and I tried to prepare as well as possible. Ultimately, this is what I came to the Netherlands for. I want to develop myself and that includes the step to Young PSV, where I can compete with adult men. The game goes a little faster and is also more physical than with PSV under 19. "

ChristianSur repped this.
  5. ADM99

ADM99 Member+

Apr 28, 2019
    #1280 ADM99, Sep 13, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Schoolboys named in UEFA Youth League squads:

Chelsea: Charlie Webster, Jude Soonsup-Bell, Samuel Iling-Junior, Luke Badley-Morgan, Harvey Vale

Man City: Luke Mbete-Tabu

Tottenham: Jordan Hackett-Vaulton, Dane Scarlett, Roshaun Mathurin

Liverpool: Harvey Blair, Harvey Davies, James Balagizi

Players can be added at any time mind you.

6. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Everton beat Sunderland 10-0 today at U18s. Gonna be a long old season for Sunderland.

Gotta have doubts about how long they'll remain a Cat1. Wouldn't be shocked to see the owners begin to neglect that aspect of the club.

7. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    They're having their best U16 and U15 prospects nabbed all over the place too, a handful just went to Liverpool, Morten Spencer went, Adam Richardson will probably be next, and from a few conversations I've had the academy is really starting to suffer there now. Families and players know they can get out and they can't hemorrhage talent for much longer.

8. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I brought him up last year when he scored v United's U18s on the opening day, but Alex Matthews started again for Derby v United at the weekend. Barely touched the ball and played in a midfield two before being taken off at HT. Only bring him up because he's so noticeably small and scrawny.

Can't help but be intrigued when you see a side putting faith in someone so physically outmatched. He was named their Academy Player of the Year last season for his U16 performances.

You wont see a closer 5-1 game. Matthews aside, United were a lot younger, slower and smaller and it showed in key moments, but 95% of the game was pretty even.

Derby don't start their UYL campaign for a couple of weeks, but it'll be interesting to see if they allow players to drop back down to play. Tyree Wilson has had a pretty spotty 2019 since getting around the 1st team squad, not sure if he just keeps picking up knocks or what.

9. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Ronnie Stutter (05) joined Chelsea after leaving West Ham end of last season.

There was high hopes before suffering a serious injury so basically missed out on 12-18 months of football.

10. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Literally every big club you care to name was after him too.

11. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    What kind of player is he?

12. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Man Utd have been linked with Richardson.

Here is another.

13. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    CF with pace, strength, movement.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  14. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Piece in The Athletic toay by Phil Hay saying about Leeds purchasing a new training ground for £25m which will lead to them becoming a Category 1 academy.

If you read the piece though, it actually states that they are currently in the process of getting Thorp Arch to standard required and expect to pass the audit at back end of this season to start 2020/21 as a Category 1 academy from existing site.

Garibaldi11 repped this.
  15. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I reckon a couple of clubs are at risk of dropping Cat 1 status in this year's audits. Sunderland as discussed, but also maybe Newcastle. I don't think they want to expand beyond 24 teams so if the likes of Leeds or Forest have heard encouragement that spots might be opening, investment makes sense.

Spots in the south section look much harder to come by as everyone's pretty much set Cat 1 at a comfortable level, and the likes of Reading, Leicester and Norwich have invested heavily in new facilities that will debut in the new future to cement their status there.

16. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Why wouldn't they want to expand? I thought the lack of games was a problem at that level.

17. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    They've always spoken about Cat 1 as being an exclusive group and 24 seems quite a lot, especially considering some of the teams with that status don't seem to be deserving of it. If you go to 28 or 30 or 32 it starts to dilute it even more.

It's not just the competition that comes with the top categorisation, there's also a whole lot of other perks, recruiting all over the country etc, and giving more teams access to that seems to run counter to the EPPP's intentions.

18. IGSpur

IGSpur Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Thought I should add on the Spurs forum there's a fan who's quite confident that Mathurin was called up to England but apparently Spurs didn't let him go or something

19. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I thought the intention was to incentivise academy investment.

20. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Burnley also seem interested in Cat 1 but they don't have anywhere near the track record of Leeds and Forest.

Sunderland more leaking of talent, owner interest and finances. So it is quite a big concern for them. Pity considering the talent they have produced.

For Newcastle what would you say their biggest concern is to fall ? Output and track record for professional and England youth numbers ?

Blackburn are probably secure but most out of threat between them, Stoke and Middlesbrough. Think the latters history and facilities are very good whereas Stoke is probably the most progressive academy in north which is something I didn't think I would say.

Will be tough in the south for any change as you say. Ipswich shown the most interest but facilities/finances probably hold Palace/Charlton back.

21. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    ITFC will be miles off it now with our L1 budget kicking in, think the club have basically admitted it is a pipe dream until we get PL football.

It doesn't affect us too badly, we only lose boys to the giant clubs which Cat 1 wouldn't protect us from - and we are geographically so isolated.

The barriers to entry seem to go up year on year, we made a massive mistake not going for it from Day 1.

22. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I know this was against City but Anthony Gordon was pretty impressive in this clip from last night:

23. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    #1298 Garibaldi11, Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  24. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    I'm probably posting in the wrong place but does anybody know if Man City - Atalanta in the UEFA Youth League is being broadcast tomorrow?

25. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Spurs won 9-2 in the youth league today! Weirdly it still leaves them behind the team they beat in the standings.