Professional Development Leagues thread

Discussion in 'England' started by The Guardian, Aug 16, 2013.

1. kbarrett2316

kbarrett2316 Member

Feb 20, 2016
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Would like to see Okedina get a chance after he is back to full fitness - I'd say he's the better player over Statham.

2. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    MAN UTD

..............Thompson
    Laird Mengi Bernard Williams
    ..........Garner Traore
    .....Puigmal Levitt Elanga
    ...........Greenwood

Galbraith & McCann trying to push Levitt/Elanga

3. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Strange that the PSV - Spurs U19 match isn't on BT Sport. They usually show those matches.

4. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Man City seem to have got right into action with schoolboy signings since the ban.

Arlo Doherty
    2003 Norwich

Jamie Bynoe-Gittens
    2004 Reading

Darko Gyabi
    2004 Millwall

5. brettspurs

brettspurs Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Nov 9, 2017
    Highlights here, including an absolute rocket from Paris Maghoma at 3:45

ChristianSur and TopBanana10 repped this.
  6. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    :cry:Excellent goal by Niall Ennis but not sure about the background noises :oops:

I can’t remember but has he been in any England Squads since he had that bad injury a while back?

Jenks repped this.
  7. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Ennis was in the last U19 finals squad but was rooted to the bench for almost all of it.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  8. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, just remember he was very highly thought off a few years ago but then had a few bad injuries if memory serves me right? Hopefully he’s over the injuries and he could be another that sneaks under the radar so to speak.

9. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Just for something different.

Sunderland are regularly getting players in England camps and squads. The new dominant force in the north-north over Middlesbrough and have been for some time now.

U14 International tournament champions 2017/18

[​IMG]

In England squads

Harrison Bond 2003
    Adam Richardson 2003
    Logan Pye 2003
    Frankie Okoronkwo 2004
    Morten Spencer 2004

All signed their scholarships already for Sunderland bar club u14 Okoronkwo.

U13 International Tournament Champions

[​IMG]

Joseph Ryder 2004
    Harrison Jones 2004
    Frankie Okoronkwo 2004

10. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Their U16s were Semi Finalists in the recent PL International Tournament, lost to Chelsea on penalties.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  11. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    TopBanana10 and Jenks repped this.
  12. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Adedoyin, Simms + Phillips are putting up stupid numbers so far this season for Everton.

Adedoyin - 6 in 340 minutes.
    Phillips - 10 in 800 minutes.
    Simms - 16 in 800 minutes.
    Combined - 32 in under 2000 minutes.

Ideally all three need to be tested in U23 football and in some tough FA Youth Cup games. With Gordon already around the U23 squad, there's probably only room for Simms right now.

13. kbarrett2316

kbarrett2316 Member

Feb 20, 2016
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Quite confused as I'm sure Kieran Phillips signed his scholarship in 2016, therefore making him an overage player?

14. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #1114 Juni, Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    Neither the PL nor Everton list his DoB, Transfermarkt do, but I think it's wrong, based off this:

965191899840696320 is not a valid tweet id

Of course, that would make him too old regardless, so it has to be something else. There are provisions for Cat 2 clubs to field an U19 outfielder in U18 league matches if they've missed a significant portion of either of their two scholarship years to injury or other circumstances, but Cat 1 clubs do not have that, it's quite clear in the rules.

They used to though, so I expect if the rule was active while he was out injured for what was a long time, he was granted permission to extend it into this season, and the rule changed. Would have to look back at previous seasons' yearbooks to be more sure though, but I tend to trust that clubs know more than us on this stuff, they wouldn't be so blind as to make such a mistake...right?

EDIT: looked into those yearbooks and the rule as it is now was in place for each of the last two years. Probably something buried deep in the exceptions that allows him to play.

15. kbarrett2316

kbarrett2316 Member

Feb 20, 2016
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Hmm. I remember Giovanni (Rui) Da Costa featuring for Norwich City's U18s in the league last season as an U19. He played quite a few games as a first year but none a second year.

Kieran Phillips didn't feature at all for Everton during his scholarship so I'm assuming it must've been something severe. We had the case with a player who only made one appearance throughout his scholarship (Nigel Seidu 2011-13) but we didn't end up exercising an option for a third year. Isn't there now a rule where clubs have to offer a player a third-year extension if he hasn't played a certain amount of minutes in the league?

16. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well that bit is in the Scholarship Agreement itself:

But there is nowhere in the rules that I can see that explains how they're able to continue playing U18 football.

17. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    What’s the crack with Oakley-Boothe? Has he regressed or had bad luck with injuries? Just noticed he can only make the bench in the Euro U19 Champs League game with PSV ( Madueke on the bench also ) and maybe it’s just by chance but seem to see him on the bench quite a bit when I’ve looked this season.

18. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    We had this conversation a while back and some rated him highly. For me, using a size advantage to shield the ball and taking a lot of touches was never going to translate well into senior football.

Not surprised that he's been overtaken by Skipp. I'm not a Spurs fan though, so haven't seen a lot of either player.

Any Spurs fan to shed light on the situation?

19. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Poch took him away from his own age group prematurely and he missed loads of football and then injuries compounded the situation when Poch discarded him. That lack of football has hurt him massively. He's really struggled to get a decent run since.

Started their opening two UYL games and still looked great v Inter and was sharp v Barca before coming off at HT. Whenever he's on the pitch at the same time as Skipp, it's hard to think that Skipp is a better player. TOB is just so much better technically with his quick ball and progressive passing.

sharpovic and IGSpur repped this.
  20. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Sounds like you're making excuses for him. He dawdles on the ball too much for me. Not snappy enough.

You're entitled to your opinion but Skipp is clearly more highly rated by Poch and others within the Spurs set up.

brettspurs repped this.
  21. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I feel like we've been watching a different player. "Too many touches" is obviously a matter of opinion, but I've gone back to watch some of his older England games and I don't see any use of a size advantage - his game here and here was all about skill and intelligence, with very little shielding to be seen. Always thought he was quite a skinny lad anyway.

IGSpur repped this.
  22. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    #1122 TopBanana10, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    I don't think he's a bad player by any stretch. In fact, he has a bit of Vieira in him. Just trying to explain why he may be struggling more than others.

It might be a bit boring if we all liked the same players.

23. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    12 months ago TOB was more highly rated by Poch and others within the same set up? That's not proof of anything. I'm not making excuses for him, his development wasn't helped by not playing games and just being used as a body to fill a seat on the Spurs first team bus, instead of playing U23 football. He's not really like Vieira either. Skipp relies on his physique and being combative more than TOB ever has.

I thought you hadn't seen much of him or Skipp anyway? Just like last month you hadn't seen Cirkin, but now you're a big fan.

IGSpur, kbarrett2316 and ChristianSur repped this.
  24. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    #1124 TopBanana10, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    To be fair, I rarely get to attend live youth games. I'm pretty reliant on the internet... so you guys may be in a better position to judge.

I don’t really get what you’re point is about Cirkin. Are you implying that watching old games online isn’t a substitute for attending live games? In that case, I’d agree with you.

25. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    TOB at least made it on as a sub today. How did he do? BT Sport weren’t showing it so can’t record it.