Professional Development Leagues thread

Discussion in 'England' started by The Guardian, Aug 16, 2013.

1. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  2. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
  3. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  4. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Start of a new u18 season.

Everton beat Boro 6-2 (at least).

Chelsea beat Saints 4-3

5. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Everton 6-3 Middlesbrough
    Brighton 0-4 Arsenal
    Reading 1-1 Villa
    Blackburn 1-4 Man City
    Stoke 7-1 Liverpool
    Sunderland 2-1 Newcastle
    Spurs 4-2 Norwich
    West Brom 1-3 W Ham
    Chelsea 4-3 Southampton
    Derby 1-2 Wolves
    Man Utd 0-0 Bolton

Shamelessly copy and pasted from Youthhawk...

BlueRebelZ and The Guardian repped this.
  6. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Stoke 7 Liverpool 1, eh.

Must be the effects of having a team abroad in a tournament at the mo.

7. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Chelsea/Saints was a bit of a crazy game. Pretty cool that almost everyone involved (except Musonda) was English or eligible for England.

8. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Didn't the rules change so that clubs aren't allowed to recruit U16s from abroad or something? Should hopefully see more of the same in the future if true.

9. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    They were never able to, EU/EEC area recruitment is only permitted from the age of 16 but a) most players turn 16 during their U16 year so move then and b) they move even younger because clubs can manipulate things to their pleasing.

10. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It seems it WAS a case of welcome to the u18 league - 3 players still at school and the rest first years.

(With the tournament in Holland up to u19s)

11. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Their team was Wheeler, Waldron, Travis, Whelan, Polgar, Dobie, Dhanda, Kane, Marsh, Nicholas, Watts. Shouldn't be losing 7-1 with that team.

The Guardian repped this.
  12. khoazany

khoazany Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Liverpool won United U18s 6-0 few years ago when United featured a mixed team of few second scholars,few first scholars, and schoolboys (Pearson,Rothwell,Daehli and Wilson were there).

Will be interest to see how Nicholas does at Liverpool.Arguably good enough to be kept by United but perhaps would be tough for him to get into the current midfielder selections.

13. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Interesting result today - Arsenal u18s 5 Chelsea 1

14. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Liverpool u18s are playing Man U now on Liverpool TV.

As is often the case the dozy cunts aren't showing it as being on, on the TV Menu.

15. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
  16. blackman

blackman Member

Apr 12, 2011
    norf london
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So the games Liverpool easily dominated from the start till the end of the game , better technically and physically (I think they were older also) than Manchester . Great game from Phillips , I am really starting to like this kid but I am worried with Sinclair situation . Why someone who made his first team debut two season ago still playing in the U18 league ???...Why Liverpool are playing Ojo as CF with the U21 despite Sheyi being younger and an AM ?...Did Jerome fell in disgrace with the staff or something?...All this it's really weird.
    For M.U it was my first time seeing Dearnley plays....he's nothing special in my opinion , Redmond is elegant but average even though technically is not bad at all , Ro-Shan Williams is strange....he's got tremendous physical abilities , very good on the ball for a defender but the problem is he can't defend! His positioning is awful , his commitment is questioning, Mitchell, Rashford, Tuanzebe showed interesting stuff at times but that's about it.

17. khoazany

khoazany Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah United was terrible in the first half although I would say that's an expected result.Tyrell Warren couldn't cope with (Wilson I think?) on Liverpool's right wing although playing an U16s in his unfamiliar position wasn't the best idea.Dearnley was average on that match though and with Thompson,Rashford,Kehinde,Gribbin not available we had to play Redmond in the no. 10 role and he was mediocre there as always the case since his first U18s year.Redmond's best position was McTominay role and he's one the most frustrating player I've watched at this level.Technically good and elegant like you said but inconsistent as hell.Williams looks like a right-foot Blackett for me so still many hopes for him.Rathbone was too lightweight for this level, don't know how can he cope with the U21s next season.Riley is good again and I think he might become a very good wing back.

18. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Any idea what's up with Oscar Borg ? Hope we don't give up on getting him. Need a LB and looks a talent. Warren struggled as you say.

Missed Scott too in that game. And i am yet to see Kenyon play even. Always seems injured.

19. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I sometimes wonder how much, if any, extra training young English players do. It seems as if Josh Sims has only just thought of giving it a go after a Q and A with Phil Neville:

“I thought it was brilliant and really interesting. I’ve taken a lot from it,” said Sims.

“It’s good to hear it from someone who has been there at the highest level, and we enjoyed asking him questions and hearing his advice.”

He added: “He emphasised the importance of extra work after training, and that was probably the main point that I’ll take away from it – and I’ll definitely take that back with me to Southampton.

“He spoke of how important it is to push on, and I agree with him and I want to work as hard as I can to be the best I can be.”

Read more at http://www.thefa.com/news/england/d...d-of-holland-match-050914#DHb1T7B13HyqRxIR.99

20. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    Well I think it's more of a positive that they are learning from this experience with U18 setup. Sometimes when the players have a former player giving them advice I wonder if they digest any of it, but it's nice to read a player understanding what is being said and will take that away with him for the better.

21. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The point is: it's odd he hadn't come to this conclusion long before now. With all the coaches he will have had over the years, his dad, and/or tales over the years of players like Frank Lampard, Cristiano Ronaldo, Kevin Keegan and David Beckham.

22. Simon Barnes

Simon Barnes Member

Aug 28, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, agree with you, surely its not rocket science ( even to football players ) that practice makes perfect!

23. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Not rocket science, you say.

It's not even the principle of the wheelbarrow.

24. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    Yes I am aware of the point you were alluding to. But the fact is a lot of kids in the academy system across the country don't put extra hours in, but it's good that when he will be returning to his club he will have a different mindset regarding this due to his experience with the national team.

Garibaldi11 repped this.
  25. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I think you're all reading more into his comments than is necessarily there.