Professional Development Leagues thread

Discussion in 'England' started by The Guardian, Aug 16, 2013.

1. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Chelsea had an easy 5-0 win in the youth cup last night against Cardiff and for me Sterling on the right flank was the player, again, who looked like a future England player. It's a difficult position to play, in a positive attacking way, but he regularly caused problems attacking the hapless Cardiff full back, on the inside and round the back, putting in good quality crosses, in the main. .

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  2. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Not especially interesting, but it's in today's papers about Rooney's 7 year old son going to the Man City academy (seemingly he's been at Man U since Oct). There seems to be quite a number of people associated with United sending their sons to City (rather than United).

3. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

Pot and kettle.

4. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    The rules are designed so the Cat A clubs can take the best players from smaller clubs but Cat A clubs are not meant to compete with each other for players. You can disagree with those rules if you want, many do, but there's nothing pot and kettle about Liverpool taking a player from Notts County (frankly encouraged by the rules) and Man City taking a player from Liverpool (not within the rules).

I asked the question before in this thread of how many Cat A players Liverpool had poached from other Cat A clubs in contradiction of these rules and no names were forthcoming. One of the newspaper reports on this issue stated that the FA have been keeping a league table of which teams are breaking these rules and that Man City are running away at the top.

5. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    There were replies naming several; Longstaff was from Newcastle, Brewster from Chelsea, Dixon-Bonner from Arsenal, Parker from Arsenal, Sinclair from WBA at around the same time EPPP came in, those are all Cat 1.

The EPPP rules might not have been explicitly designed for this practice but there's nowhere prohibiting it, rather an unforeseen circumstance that has naturally been exploited increasingly because the arms race at the top of the academy tree is so intense now. The PL aren't keeping a track of teams 'breaking rules', they've been logging details of such transfers and implemented a five-stage process for the transfers to go through (which Liverpool claim City broke with Moulden, hence the story); if it was against the rules they wouldn't have gone to those lengths to formalise them.

I don't actually have a problem with it apart from the fact it unnecessarily and prematurely heightens expectation and pressure on 14-16 year-olds who already have enough to deal with, but that's a media issue rather than a club one (unless you're City and you're writing about your Under-15s on the official website); it's an inevitability to a certain extent and it still plays towards the EPPP's ethos of the best gravitating to the best, wherever they come from.

The pot/kettle/black thing was that I don't really think clubs can be complaining about losing players when they're so brazen about plucking players from elsewhere under the pretense that it's in their best interests. Let the kids decide what's in their best interests, and if that means moving from Cat 1 to Cat 1, so be it. It's like when Barcelona whinge about losing their players to English clubs because they come in and blow them away with an offer very akin to Barcelona blowing away Spanish kids training elsewhere to come and join the best academy in the world etc. Should just shut up moaning and get on with it.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  6. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    IGSpur and BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  7. IGSpur

IGSpur Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Anyone know if there is a maximum first year intake number?

8. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yeah it's 15. Any group with more listed than that will have players on extended schoolboy forms.

9. IGSpur

IGSpur Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    So legally how does that differ to scholarships? They don't get a wage? As I reckon our intake next year could be upto 16/17

10. United689908

United689908 Member

Jul 11, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #885 United689908, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    Yes that's right they don't get paid.

IGSpur repped this.
  11. United689908

United689908 Member

Jul 11, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Although I don't think you can have more than 15 players regardless of how they're registered

12. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You can only register 15 'Academy Players' per age group; without checking I'd wager that the extended schoolboy players don't count towards that definition by virtue of being on a different contract type, then when some of the scholars sign pro (and don't count towards the registration numbers?) they can then come in as scholars.

IGSpur repped this.
  13. United689908

United689908 Member

Jul 11, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Because similar rules exists at younger age groups (where players are only on schoolboy forms) I don't see why schoolboys suddenly wouldn't count at the age of 16. Pro's are a different story and I agree that they don't count.

The only workaround I can see is offer 6 week trials to September born players that last from the first week of July to their birthdays in early-mid September then give them a pro at 17.

14. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #889 The Guardian, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  15. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Chelsea beat Birmingham 5-0 in what amounted to little more than a training exercise. In fact Chelsea will have had tougher in-house matches.

Mason Mount did score a hat-trick though, with this the pick of three very good goals.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  16. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
  17. RTB1984

RTB1984 New Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    With all the talk about how poor the U23 league is for players development due to lack of competitiveness and game time i just wondered if people thought it would work if it mirrored the senior set up. Could a system where the U23 (and possibly U18 teams) play the same teams as the ones in the senior teams league, e.g. Spurs U23's playing Burnley U23's or MK Dons U23's playing Walsall's U23's. This would guarantee at least 38 games for prem U23 sides and 46 for ones in the Championship, League One and League 2. I know this goes against the idea of EPPP where the clubs that have the cash to pay for x amount of coaches and pay £x millions towards facilities play each other but surely development of players is the priority.

I also thought, and i know this would never happen in a million years, that this format could have a promotion/ relegation aspect the same as the senior leagues has. An example may be that while a club may finish mid table in the prem their U23s may struggle and come 20th in the U23 league, the following season they would play in the league below against U23 sides from championship sides. This may introduce an aspect of competitiveness in that the teams will be playing for some form of pride as they could suffer the failure of relegation from their league. It may also allow teams who play in lower leagues but have decent youth setups (e.g. mk dons, birmingham city) to play against other successful setups (e.g. Chelsea, Man City) who under EPPP they wouldn't usually come up against.

Its just a crack pot idea but thought i would just throw it out there and let people debate it, tear it apart, etc

18. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    They already have introduced promotion and relegation.

19. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Chelsea had an easy 4-0 Youth Cup win against a not very resolute Sheffield Wednesday side last night. The main English lads all looked good. I was particularly pleased with Mason Mount - he had a number of good darting runs, took his goal really well and looked like he was coming along nicely. It could be argued that a porous Wednesday side made it too easy for them.

hussar repped this.
  20. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Today, Liverpool u23s beat Spurs 3-2, after going 2-0 down. Two strong sides with quite a number of acclaimed English players starting, including Edwards who played for 58 minutes. He scored a goal but in all honesty didn't do much else. Still looking to achieve full fitness possibly. Brewster started again for Liverpool, getting a few shots off but didn't seem to give enough attention to keeping the ball under bar height. But all good experience for the England u17 player.

21. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    An uninspired Man City u19 side went out tonight, losing on pens to Salzburg, with a tame and poorly directed Diaz effort and Fernandes blazing over. Grimshaw in goal, did well over the 90 mins. But Salzburg deserved to go through.

22. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    A dominant Chelsea will be very disappointed in only coming away from Spurs with a 2-1 win in tonight's first leg of the Youth Cup Semi.

23. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Another dominant performance from Chelsea tonight in running out 7-1 winners against Spurs in the Youth Cup (9-2 over two legs). McEachran started over Hudson and played better than usual but embarrassingly fluffed a ruck of chances. Man City look to be their opponents again in the final being 6-0 up against Stoke after the first leg.

24. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England