Pro vs College (Mallory Pugh)

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Eddie K, May 13, 2017.

1. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    So, the Washington Spirit made some big news today (besides allowing 6 goals to Seattle), by signing Mallory Pugh.
    http://washingtonspirit.com/pro/was...-s-womens-national-team-forward-mallory-pugh/

I had asked in another thread the question about ROI with regard to her decision. Will she make enough money to make forgoing or delaying her college degree worth it? She'll make at least 200K in base salary and could do very well commercially but how well and for how long? Comparable men's players are making much more in salary and endorsements. (Pulisic is already at least 1.1 at Dortmund, Geoff Cameron is making 2.2 for Stoke for gods sake. Even the 2nd-tier MLS based USMNT players are making 7-800K at least)

Is it possible this could become a trend?
    Is there enough money and stability in the women's game to make these decisions more common? Will there be anytime soon? or is she just the 1 player every couple years that might come around that's good enough? or hates college enough? I mean she'll have teammates that are making the minimum 18K and will not be able to do that very long.

How desperately needed she is by the Spirit is another issue (answer is somewhere from Very to Extremely). I bet she's going to sell some tickets though for sure.

2. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #2 Holmes12, May 14, 2017
    Last edited: May 14, 2017
    *yawn* Pugh is all about NT endorsement/name, not this bush league. "trend"? maybe for the wave of 1 "guaranteed" 18 yo NT every few years.

She no doubt saw the bush leaguers dominating the college teams in the spring exhibitions which hastened her departure from Eastwood. Perceived "more competitive" training ground, no academic hassles, boo-ya.

i think it was bad advice, the NCAA would have raised her name recognition. Even do a year or two there, win a CC. But, she didn't feel like going to class. Not to mention she's not all that.

3. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

4. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Stinx, where'd the hell this thread go? I only see if cuz there's a notice from your reply in my Inbox?

Oh, i get it, OP Eddie deleted his OP.

5. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    I'm pretty sure Pugh did not need to play in college to raise her name recognition. Name recognition comes with being a member of the women's national team far more than anything else. Where is that $200K coming from--is that what the Spirit is paying her? Of course it is going to be a while before the women's pro league is established as MLS is only now gaining traction and it's been around for, what, 15 years I'm guessing. I rather feel that the pro women's teams should be attached to the men's franchises, if that could be worked out. Without that, you are almost automatically having to have franchises in smaller markets, which makes it a bit tougher to get established, I should think.

6. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Just fyi since you asked. Reference at the bottom.
    Approximate 200K salary is paid by USSF for "allocated" USWNT players in the NWSL. There were also some marketing rights expanded but Pugh only benefits from the new CBA if she stays in the US. I read somewhere that the best English women were only making near 100K so to get 200K and some sponsorship deals may have been her best bet considering the European season is ending and NWSL just starting.

Bigger questions-
    - the decision formula is not much different than for other sports but will it become more common in women's soccer for these relatively lower salaries/endorsements?
    -is an NWSL season really that much better than playing for a p5 and wpsl in the summer? and earning a degree. Very many NWSL players go overseas or to Australia to keep training in winter and make more money. Is that much full-time development happening yet in these NWSL clubs?

Or maybe other examples - How much worse would Lindsey Horan be now if she had played at UNC? How much better would Morgan Brian be if she had gone to Europe like Horan (or to the NWSL) instead of playing at UVA? I bet Horan has a much better car and condo than Brian,,,,for now.
    I wonder what advice both these players would give Brianna Pinto???

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2017...united-states-national-team-usa-womens-soccer

7. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine Pugh's endorsement contract(s) will dwarf her $200,000 USSF pay. Suppose she had gotten injured in college, ending her career? All those $$ would have been lost. That's certainly a significant part of the equation.

Originally, information from the Pugh family was that she wanted the college experience. Maybe that changed after a little time on campus at UCLA -- it wasn't as great as she'd imagined?

But I think a big factor that hasn't gotten discussed is the Lavelle factor. Maybe Pugh and her family saw the potential for her to be displaced by Lavelle as the darling of US Women's soccer, with all the financial implications that might have.

I bet lots of considerations went into the decision calculations.

8. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Its interesting to hear the responses from a lot of people on this board and in the other news outlets. There are many criticizing Pugh for passing on a college education. As documented, she will make 200K through the USSF and probably close to a Million in endorsements. Yet hundreds of high school grads go straight into Minor League baseball with a dream to make the bigs (only a very smal percentage ever do) She is getting paid now and wont risk injury in college that can kill a professional career

9. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #9 Holmes12, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
    Good points, i'm just saying supplementing/reinforcing her name, especially during international "downtime", would have been better served setting some sort of "historical benchmark" in the NCAA. i mean, if she was all that, she would have been slam-dunk College Cup hero. Look at, Rebecca Lobo, for example. she's still leading a cushy life, not from Liberty, not from Olympics, but from UConn.

I saw Rocky Rodriguez in LA like three months ago signing auto's. I don't think the crowd of girls could say which pro team she plays for.

Injury risk in pro league = Injury risk in NCAA. It's a risk i would be willing to make, especially with today's medical robots.

She can't be making 200k from the Washington Federals or whatever, Google told me the league cap is ballpark 270k. But i see the point about quick endorsement deal now which couldn't happen at UCLA. I just think she thinx it's better competition after these Spring exhibitions.

As alluded to with the men's and women's coupling (do they do that in England?), I think that's a great idea, The WNBA would be dead without NBA subsidy. But I think the men's soccer league will always be barely sustaining itself as with marginal market success comes labor demands. Cannot break the glass ceiling sans big TV deal which can't happen. But speaking of the WNBA, and this is the risk with womens professional adult soccer, in my opinion,, is that it begins to morph into a non-family friendly experience. WNBA games are a Melissa Ethridge concert and that is a niche market. Kills their bottom-line and increases near total reliance on NBA.

I think the absurd gravy train for pro leagues like the NBA will scale back with mounting economic pressures on their advertisers, consumer base and finally the networks. The ESPN cannings are a direct result of bloated TV contracts. The first thing to go when the roll back wave hits the NBA is the WNBA.

10. D1bound

D1bound Member

Feb 7, 2015
    Pugh salary of 200K is paid by US Soccer Federation and isn't counted towards her professional club team's salary cap.

11. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Well, PART of Pugh's salary does count towards the cap. I believe the current figure is in the $35K range. By league bylaw and the latest collective bargaining agreement , it has to be higher than the salary being paid to any non-allocated player.

12. bigwest

bigwest Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Unless you are a diehard UCLA fan, who really cares whether she turns pro or not. It's wonderful that she has the opportunity to explore the pros at such a young age, and that it seems she will be rewarded for those skills. with the money she makes in 1 year, she will be able to afford the college education she wants from any college, if the pro soccer thing doesn't work out. Good for her, Hope it works out. It's not the route that will work for 99.99% of the soccer players out there (Male or Female). I wonder, did yall complain about Lebron skipping college? or Kobe? I sincerely hope that she is very successful, and not just a token like Freddie Adu was...

13. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #13 Holmes12, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
    I am neither loitering nor trespassing nor complaining. I have simply chosen an advisable location to await my clients delinquent husband. NBA is apples/oranges to women's soccer. There is no EPL. What if Pugh doesn't score on the WC and Olympic stages. What if somebody else scores that PK. Game-changer, new face. Even Olympic medalists are forgotten two days later.

Not to mention it's too easy to get "swallowed" up in women's soccer. 11 peeps, large field, chess action. It's not like she has the stage like Venus or a figure skater or gopher.

14. bigwest

bigwest Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    at the end of the day Holmes, who cares.. hope she does super well, as it may open up more doors for more women to play soccer on a bigger stage.. Nothing in life is guaranteed, so when an opportunity knocks, maybe the best choice is to open the door and see where it takes you..

15. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    First, I think these opportunities are awesome for the player and could have a terrific positive effect on the college game overall. Look how hard the D1 men's coaches are working to even stay relevant and keep their good players from going pro so early. Even though they will hate losing these elite players, top tier D1 women's coaches may now have to work a bit harder to sell their programs and prove they have a role in the development of these NT players. A women's soccer player going straight to the Pros! (well, almost straight) Who would have thought it possible 10-15 years ago. The Spirit are marketing the crap out of this signing and may just sell out Saturdays game....and frankly, they are not in good form at all right now.

You can hear it from Pugh yourself here:

Press Release:
    http://washingtonspirit.com/pro/mallory-pugh-officially-introduced-as-member-of-washington-spirit/

And I can see from replies that the Village Idiot has visited this thread. We'll you're contribution is not welcome and I'd like to agree with the excellent commentary of Glove Stinks in case anyone missed it:
    Dude...its not even Noon and you are on the Crack Pipe. Your posts lend absolutely nothing to any of the conversations on the Board, and the ramblings often make ZERO sense. Seek Help

16. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #16 Holmes12, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
    well, i guess it's just something to shoot the breeze about on a women's college soccer forum, west. I could shrug too but both of us doing that is little excitement.

ja, I see, but which door is "best choice" to open? Your working assumption is all the "opportunity" is endorsements and pro. Me thinx there was "opportunity" at Eastwood, and that door would enable her to seize on two avenues of opportunity, albeit sequentially. Now, she just has to hope some younger cute face doesn't expose her sports brassiere first, for she will never experience a college team, conference/ncaa tournament, CC. Exposure? I might be wrong but between all the networks, college soccer is on the tube far more than whatever league. Is that bush league even on TV? All the stuff I posted above about fleeting marketability of, as Stephen A would say, "quadriperennial athletes", is true. The potential for getting lost in an 11v11, slower action sport is true. I think in a few years she will enormously regret skipping UCLA as she, as a kid now, just doesn't feel like dealing with academics. This is just verbal, not judging.

Maybe it'll work, as you, say, who cares. But I would have gone to UCLA. By the way, it's a total jip P5 athletes don't get any endorsement money for the logos the schools cash in on. Like music tunes, if a college team is on the tube, each kid should get a royalty. So in that respect, I see why Pugh did it and that is really what started early basketball draft entrants en masse. Of course there were early draft entrants before Webber and Howard from the Fab Five but they were one of the first to identify how they were exploited in apparel by UM/Nike.