PRO Retirements

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by refinDC, Dec 20, 2016.

1. refinDC

refinDC Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Lucky Wilbury

Lucky Wilbury Member

Mar 19, 2012
    United States
    Walton: “All five officials will be missed..."

*counts officials*

3. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 4ths and 3 ARs. Wonder who will get promoted to take those spots?

4. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Feel bad for the 4th official Ploeger. Never got to do a single middle.

I don't know if it was a retirement on his part or he just got the message they were done with him as a 4th. I don't think he had many assignments this year.

5. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it was him "just getting the message", then there are probably a few others that should read that message as well.

6. refinDC

refinDC Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at the URL - looks like they originally posted as 5 and then added somebody.

Either they didn't count Herrera at first since he was announced a few months ago http://www.proreferees.com/news--referee-jaime-herrera-hangs-up-his-whistle.php

Or someone was added in and they only updated part of the article

Lucky Wilbury repped this.
  7. Mirepo

Mirepo Member

Nov 3, 2016
    They didn't list Conlee in the original article. And obviously forgot to update Walton's quote!

usaref and refinDC repped this.
  8. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any idea when PRO will announce the roster for the upcoming season? With 6 officials leaving (3 ARs and 3 4Os) they will have lots of spots to fill. And with 2 teams added to the league, that means 1 more game per week as compared to last season.

9. bhooks

bhooks Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Last year it was announced on Feb. 23rd. I believe they inform the promoted of their changes at the pre-season camp in Arizona which coincides with an MLS pre-season event that takes place there as well.

10. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is only one formal addition for 2017: Nick Uranga at AR.

There will still be spots for trial CRs and ARs, like there have been recently. But only Uranga officially joins the PRO roster for the start of 2017.

With more expansion coming, some of the 4ths are going to have to be groomed quickly. And with more retirements coming, the next crop of ARs needs to be big, so pay attention to which ARs start traveling a lot in USL to get a hint there.

11. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a little surprised that they didn't add anybody to the roster as a 4O, since 3 dropped off after last year. Another round of expansion, although only 2 teams, means one extra game per week. More games means more officials working each week. And that trickles down to lower levels as well. USL is expanding like crazy.

12. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Herrera, Ploeger and Bourdeau did a total of how many games last year? Unless Herrera did way more than I remember, I think the total is in single digits. Insofar as workload goes, I think there is plenty of capacity to handle the games with the number of fourth officials on the roster and the retirements really didn't affect things. As an aside, note that Dan Fitzgerald is also no longer on the list after not doing games last year, even though his "retirement" wasn't announced.

Anyway, I think the AR position is the bigger concern regarding workload. Several retirees with several more clearly reaching their final years. And they only added one AR even though you have two more clubs this year and two more possible in the immediate aftermath.

13. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I definitely agree that the lack of roster expansion is pretty surprising. 2 more teams means 34 additional regular season games this year, all fit into the same relative amount of time as before. Basically, it all averages out to needing, on average, 1 additional full crew every week of the season.

14. drummer68

drummer68 Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Uranga's a good kid, solid on the touchline. I expect to see big things from him, and rapid advancement into a FIFA badge.

15. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was pretty obvious that Uranga was on the radar. He worked the NWSL final and the USL final last year.

Just a little surprised that nobody else was added to the roster. I guess that means more games for everybody else. Or, like someone else said, more spots for referees outside of PRO to be given a chance.