Pro/Rel Again (Prompted by USL for Sale)

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by millwalldavey, Aug 17, 2009.

1. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or we could just get rid of the salary cap altogether and spend crazy. It worked so well for the NASL.

2. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    It's idiotic comments like this that make me argue in favor of pro/rel even though I have no desire to see it happen.

3. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

NASL was a joke and mismanaged league.

4. ChefJim27

ChefJim27 Member

Feb 9, 2008
    I'm sure you seem smart everytime you are quoted out of context as well, jackass. I see your Labor Day weekend went well. Back to trolling so soon? Perhaps that "big block of text" was easier to read than the last one you flatly refused to?

And your assinine opinion matters to me, why?

5. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Actually it doesn't. FIFA doesn't keep the ticket money. It goes to the host organisers. FIFA care about tv money and sponsorship, both of which just go up and up every four years regardless of who hosts.

You could even argue that '94 shows that FIFA doesn't need MLS to stage a world cup in the USA.

Saying that though, FIFA has very little jurasdiction over leagues. They can't even threaten to ban leagues from FIFA competitions in any meaningful way. Anyway, while FIFA might have a preference for fully integrated leagues, it wouldn't really serve any purpose to try and impose something which could force a league out of business. I wouldn't go as far as to say that Blatter isn't stupid, but he's not that stupid.

6. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only argument for what? Honestly, it's hard to have a discussion with you because you consistently fail to specify your referents.

I'm not advocating for anything. When it comes to promotion and relegation, I support the status quo. If you want to change that, you need to give me a reason--and the only reason you've given with any evidence behind it is "because other world leagues do it."

And if you really think the only drawback to promotion and relegation is that it is different, you haven't even been reading other people's posts. The big, giant, elephant-in-the-room reason is that to implement promotion and relegation would mean eliminating the salary cap. That's something that shouldn't even be discussed until a lot more teams are solvent than is the case today.

Then why would we need promotion and relegation anyway?

Or are you saying that with promotion and relegation MLS would immediately become a dominant, world-beating league?

Slow, steady growth is a good thing, not a bad thing. If it takes 20 years, fine--if that's when the U.S. sports fans will support it.

7. ChefJim27

ChefJim27 Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Really? I always thought they got a cut of ticket sales as well. I might be wrong on this? Impossible! :rolleyes:

8. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    You at least had the courtesy to use multiple paragraphs.

I'm sorry you don't like it when someone points out a sentence you wrote that's incorrect.

9. ChefJim27

ChefJim27 Member

Feb 9, 2008
    I have no trouble with being wrong. If you look above, I will even admit it when it happens. The discussion was could Blatter use the threat of the denial of a World Cup Finals to the USA to force MLS into Pro/Rel, or even adaptation of the Aug-May calendar. Your response was pure trolling and flaming, pure and simple.

If you wish to debate ideas, fine. If you want to name call, go somewhere else. The adults in the room want to talk about grownup things, and I'm sure someone has a Barney DVD if you're bored with actual discussions. This isn't the kids table. Try some civility, or go away, please.

10. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Philly33

Philly33 New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    What would a pro/rel thread be without WhiteStar Warriors?

The correct answer is a poll thread without Pc4th