Review: Primera A League Discussion Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Clubs' started by NYC_COSMOS, Jan 23, 2011.

1. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  2. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Likely where I should NOT be...
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
  3. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Boca 0 - 0 River
    Racing 0 - 0 Independiente
    Newell's 0 - 0 Rosario Central
    Gimnasia 0 - 0 Estudiantes

What an exciting round of clasicos :laugh:

SupaMario repped this.
  4. bustos21

bustos21 Member

Aug 13, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What's the deal with this Argentina SuperLiga?
    What are the details.............

5. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    Sin Ortigoza San Lorenzo no sabe crear futbol, pero a pesar de esto...Lanus merecio ser campeon porque fue el mejor equipo, en la final frente a San Lorenzo y en todo el torneo tambien.

cigar_city repped this.
  6. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Saw a pic on River Plate's Facebook preseason training has started. When does the new season start? Will it be same format as the previous season? Are these 2 seperate seasons or will the Champs. Play for an over all yearly final? Lanus won the previous will they play the new season champ.?

7. FootballMental

FootballMental New Member

May 9, 2016
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    So in the morning of 30/06/2016 new season will take a place with Boca vs Germes Cup confrontation. 05/07/2016 another games will be played. Itll be 1/32. Vamos!!!

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The season usually begins in early August. We're only 3 weeks from the normal start time yet have no idea when the season will start/end or what the format will be.

What is going on? :confused:

9. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

10. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The format has been decided. A disastrous 30 team/30 game tournament. 8 games fewer than we used to get in the Apertura/Clausura format. 8 games fewer than the top leagues in Europe. You only play on team home or away.

Next season will be even more disastrous. 28 teams. Does this mean only 28 rounds? or will it mean 56 rounds? Or will we go back to the disastrous 2 groups we had last season...

Honestly the AFA is the biggest joke in world football. It makes you almost embarrassed to be a football fan. How hard is it? 20 teams. 38 rounds. Ida/Vuelta. No premedios. Bottom four to the B Nacional. Top 5 to Copa Libertadores. I honestly don't understand how we have come to this. I'd prefer the Apertura/Clausura system

BocaFan and BuckeyeRed repped this.
  11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, I agree. The schedule is unbalanced too which makes it even more annoying. Last season was the biggest joke I've seen since MLS had 10 teams and 8 went to the playoffs!

Thanks for the information above but they keep changing the plans so is it really confirmed? Recall that the 2016-17 season was originally supposed to be 28 teams. See the top of page two in this document: http://www.afa.org.ar/upload/boletines/BOL_Comite_Ejecutivo_4978.pdf

That document is only 9 months old and they've already deviated from the plan. :rolleyes:

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Fixtures will be announced tomorrow, 2 August for the new season.

As @RiverGaucho mentioned above, 30 teams will compete in a similar system to the 2015 tournament: 30 weeks: round robin and a week full of derbies. All begins on 19 August. Four teams will be relegated (averages system) and 2 will be promoted from National B. Top 4 will qualify to Libertadores Cup 2018 and from 5th to 10th will qualify to South American Cup 2017.

13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Fixtures are out. Derby weekend will be April 14-17, 2017.

River v Boca is first weekend in December;
    Racing v Independiente is week 11 (Nov 19-20)
    Rosario v Newell's meet in week 7 (mid-October)

Season concludes on 28 May.

14. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Any Argentinos in the USofA know if TyC Sports has rights to the Boca and RiBer Primera games this season?
    Last season TyC had rights to all Primera games except Boca and RiBer, which were sold separately.
    There was no channel in the US to watch the games, except the online streams.
    Wonder what the situation is this year.

InterFan76 repped this.
  15. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    Well, according to livesoccertv.com, it appears that TyC International is not showing the Arg league matches at all, let alone Boca & River.

I have been at the beach since Friday afternoon, and of course TyC Int'l not available, so perhaps one if you can let me know if any games were show on the channel yesterday. I'll hopefully be home by the time Newell's kick off, so will see then.

16. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    Games are on TyC Intl.

VAMOS LA LEPRA!!

17. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Futbol Para Todos continues to defy the odds in terms of incompetence. One would have hoped that with macri's government, they would have gotten things strengthened out, but no. The whole point of FPT was to allow people to watch all the matches.

So today, we have a Clasico, Independiente-San Loenzo starting at 5 PM BsAs time. At 6:30, Boca-Rosario Central, a very important match after Boca robbed the 2015 Copa Argentina and then Central got revenge last week. At 8 PM, River travels to play Newell's in Rosario. So basically, we've got 3 matches, all very important, and all overlapping by half an hour. Seriously, who decides these things? Start the games at 4, 6, and 8 that way there is no overlap and if someone chooses they can watch all the matches, which was after all the point of FPT

Ron Mexico and SupaMario repped this.
  18. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

------------------

locoxriver and Ron Mexico repped this.
  19. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    ..... Lurking as Newell's continue their quite unexpected thus far superlative season.

And please don't tell @RiverGaucho or @locoxriver that i thought the penalty call was a bad one.

NewellsLaRePutaMadre

20. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    How about that?

Banfield ending league-leaders Estudiantes's undefeated streak last week, and now taking down 2nd place Newell's in Rosario.

Who would have thought? Se prende el taladro

21. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Damn, Lanus sold Almiron to an MLS club for $8.5 million

[​IMG]

Its a shame, because the kid is talented, but it speaks volumes of the rise of the MLS in recent years.

You could also argue a decline in importance of the Argentine league, if you will. Before only the subs of the reserves moved there or players way past their prime, but now we have great players like Almiron, Lodeiro, Nacho Piatti, etc. directly ditching the Argentine Primera to move to the MLS. Something similar has been happening in recent times with great players moving from Argentina to Mexico (Carlos Sanchez, Barovero, Goltz, Romero, Marchesin, etc, etc), which also used to not be the case. Only the extreme rejects used to transfer there, but clearly not anymore.

Its a bit sad, to be honest. Obviously we cant compete with Europe, but nowadays even teams from within our own region (the United States, Mexico, Brazil) have more to offer.

SupaMario repped this.
  22. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The decline has been evident for some time but we've all seen that. Look at Mauro Zarate. Who has bounced around from team to team in Europe, then he came back to Velez a couple years back and ripped the league a new one . Now, he's back in Europe and not playing as well. Granted, he's had some personal issues, such as his wife going through cancer. But my point is a player like Zarate who has a good amount of talent looked like a world beater in Argentina.

But I have always said, I can't fault these young players moving to North America, especially to the MLS. Get your check on time(And probably earn a lot more than you would elsewhere), do not have to worry about the pressure from the fans(You can just enjoy playing the game), and you can live comfortably.

23. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You do have a point with Zarate, but other players have returned from Europe and ended up failing.. one even failed so bad that he retired from the sport early to dedicate his life to singing instead :D

All Danistone jokes aside, I actually feel a lot of players who are excelling in Europe would actually struggle more in Argentina. Not because the level is higher, but because it is a different style-- more rough, less playing the ball on the ground. Not all players could pull off a campaign like Zarate's

But yeah, there clearly is no denying the league has dropped tremendously in quality. That's not up for debate. I remember the games in the 90s and even early 00s being much more entertaining than the ones today. You could also argue that the league has gotten more equal/competitive as a whole, as the power of the small teams has increased a lot over time. Back then River and Boca would cruise through most of the games, now you have teams like Banfield, Lanus, and Arsenal winning titles.

We could all see the league getting weaker, but I never imagined we'd be losing star players to the Mexican league and MLS. I understand why it's happening, but it's still sad.

RiverGaucho and Ron Mexico repped this.
  24. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The league has certainly declined, there is no doubt about that, but the Mauro Zarate I don't think is a fair one. Sure, he was very good at Velez when he returned, but he was also very, very good at Lazio when he first went to Europe. I was at the Olimpico to see Lazio play a Europa League match a few years ago and I popped into a bar across the street and there were pictures of him on the wall and I saw various people with his jersey- and this was years after he left them. He was a big deal over there. He flopped in England, but many players from continental Europe fail there.

As locoxriver points out, Dani Stone was a massive flop for Boca, but even Tevez has found things much harder than he would have expected. Sure, he did very well when they won the league and he first arrived at Boca, but this season he has just 2 league goals. I think most people expected him to completely dominate. He has also been invisible in Boca's biggest games, he hasn't scored in a super clasico and he was awful in the Copa Libertadores last season, going completely AWOL against Nacional and Independiente del Valle, and this is a guy who was the most important player for Juventus in their run to the Champions League Final.

I would also say, that Argentine clubs are still massively desirably for players from other south american clubs. Arturo Mina was arguably the MVP of the Copa Libertadores, and he chose River. He is a massive player for Ecuador as well. Sebastian Perez won the Libertadores with Atletico Nacional, was a starter for Colombia in the Olympics and is a regular for the full national team, and he chose Boca. Lets not forget that Almiron is Paraguayan, and he left Cerro Porteño, one of the two biggest club in Paraguay, to Lanus, one of the smallest teams in Argentina. So the fact that he's 23 and still at Lanus is quite frankly a miracle. They did well to even get him, and now selling him for that much is a bonus. 10-15 years ago it would have been impossible to imagine Argentine clubs losing top players to MLS or Mexico, but it would have been equally preposterous to imagine a full international (from any country) playing for Lanus, and Lanus selling a player for that much money to anywhere in the world would have been equally absurd. So Lanus definitely deserves credit here, because they scouted and found the player, developed him, got a league title out of him, and sold him for a massive amount they never would have gotten for him from a european club

As for MLS growing, there is no doubt that is the case, and this signing is massive for them. They seem to be chasing a younger demographic of player, which is very dangerous for the Argentine league, and especially for River and Boca who are already having to overpay for players from small Argentine clubs, but now these tiny teams like Lanus, Banfield, or Tigre :)D) will rack of the prices or just hold off for an offer from an MLS club.

My question for you USA based people is this. How much is MLS infiltrating the sporting culture of the USA? I saw a tweet that 15x more people watched the America vs. Chiva game in Liga MX than watched the MLS conference finals in the USA. Obviously, the US is such a massive country that even if a small percentage of the population follows MLS, that will still be a massive market, a market bigger than Argentina and many countries in Europe (Argentina has 40 million people, Spain and Italy have about 60 each), but that being said, it must be worrying for MLS that not only is it behind the other soccer leagues such as Liga MX and EPL and of course Real Madrid and Barcelona, but its behind the main american sports as well.

cigar_city and SupaMario repped this.
  25. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Zarate came back to Argentina after scoring something like 10 goals in his 3 previous seasons with Inter and Lazio. Zarate is a fan of the Lazio fans because 1, he scored one of the great goals in the Derby della Capitale and also he got a lot of support from the ultras because he was in the stands with them when he did the the "saludo fascista". He did have a very good season in his first season with Lazio but since then?

Perhaps he is an outlier, but he did put on a show when he returned from having some awful seasons in Italy.

As for our league being desirably for South American players, well, sure, considering outside of Brasil and maybe Colombia the rest of the leagues on the continent are basically amateur leagues. But now the question we should ask to these players, do they want prestige and play in a big league or do they want to go and get paid? I think most players will go for the latter. If the money is close, then yeah, I can see them easily opting to a clubs in Argentina. Plus, for countries such as Ecuador, Bolivia, Paraguay, I do not think it will make any difference if they play in the MLS or not. They'll get called up to their national teams.

It is a bit sad that we are losing players to North America but that is the nature of the world right now. The US dollar is strong and the MLS is doing well(At least for their standards). The average attendance is over 20k, you have the Seattle Sounders who average over 40k per game, and on the other end of the spectrum you have FC Dallas who get about 14k per game. It is ranked the 6th highest in all of the world, including back home.

[​IMG]
    I think that pretty good considering the U.S. is crazy about a handful of sports, at the professional level and the collegiate leve.

I assume the popularity will continue to grow. There is a figure that has come out that NFL viewership has declined this year and kids are not playing as much. I sense it has a lot to do with parents not wanting their children to have head injuries, since all these reports are coming out that ex-players are suffering brain trauma. Maybe futbol will take its place. Who knows, only time will tell.

I think many of the owners are contempt with how the league is. I think most of the fans are happy with the league as well, they know there isn't a single world-class player in the league. But tonight is the final of the MLS Cup and the game is on the main FOX network and the game is sold out.