Pride. Passion. Tradition. The New York Rangers Thread.

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey' started by otterulz, Aug 4, 2005.

1. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Rangers get a good win, but it wasn't a pretty game. Rucinsky with 3 assists, Jagr with 2 and Prucha with 2 on the power play. Lundqvist had 22 saves and made the 2-3 big ones to keep it 1-1 and then 2-1 before the empty netter to ice the game and flatter the home side with a 3-1 win.

If any 98-2000 era NJ Devils fans want to sue the Minnestoa Wild's trapping system for copyright infringement, I'm here to testify for the prosecution. God, the Wild play themselves some ugly hockey (at least the Devils would score).

Sheesh.

2. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it definitely wasn't pretty for the first 2 periods. The Rangers got an ugly PP goal, which I still don't know if Prucha got his stick on or the Wild defender accidentally knocked it in. Defensive meltdown allowed the Wild to get one back which pissed me off pretty badly. However for the third, the Rangers had plenty of life and seemed to have solved the trap. They were coming out hard and had some greeeeat chances. Roloson had a pretty good game although Henrik was brilliant. Man, when he's on his game, which he usually is, he's unbeatable. Anyway, 2 PP goals in one game. Gotta be happy with that.

Certain games give you a food voucher but you have to order a minimum of 4 tickets.

And yes, we should definitely try to catch a game together. Too bad I can't whistle loudly.

3. Pangloss

Pangloss New Member

Nov 3, 2004
    NYC
    Ya know I hate to revisit something that happened a few days ago, but I was just watching the replay of the Malik shootout goal and something occured to me. I know i've already made my hatred of SO known but, is anyone else sick of JD's incessant defending of the shootout every time we get to one? I know JD was on the committee that thought up a lot of the rule changes and I have a sneaking suspicion he really pushed this through. Every single time a game goes to a shootout he says (repeatedly) something to the effect of "Oh boy Sammy listen to those fans. They love the shootout!" It just irks me that someone who knows as much about this game as JD does, fails to see what an abomination the SO is. It cheapens the game, turns it into a circus and Davidson is its number one apologist. :rolleyes:

4. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I can certainly understand those who don't like the shootout. But at the same time, the NHL just needs to reconnect with the fans while getting new ones. Plain and simple, the SO brings excitement. I wasn't sure of the SO myself. But watching it live at the Garden against the Isles (even though we lost), you could feel the excitement in the building. Not a single person was sitting down and you could feel the anticipation as each skater came up. I can only imagine what it was like against the Caps. Also I can understand what you're saying about JD. Maybe he is tooting his own horn if this was one idea he pushed for. At the same time, he's trying to sell the game himself and mentioning the excitement it brings is one way to do that.

5. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I'm not a massive fan of the shoot out, but this is how I rationalize it:

1. Losing team doesn't lose a point, so it's really just forcing a decison on a +1 point. So, it's not a killer fairness issue.

2. Shootouts/breakaways are a part of the game, and a skill. So, you're rewarding talent one way or the other, either on the goalie for stopping it or the scorer for making it.

3. Artificial though it may be, the 15 round shootout was electric to watch. It's not the end all be all of hockey, but it's more exciting than two teams both playing defense for 5 minutes to split the points and then and going home, which used to happen be for they invented the OTL. Worst case scenario, it's a bit of extra fun.

To me, it doesn't kill the game. Stanley Cup games will still go until someone wins a period, so it doesn't bother me. I don't want to see 3 and 4 OT regular season games, so they have to end 'em somehow.

6. Lewie

Lewie New Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Queens,New York
    Rangers win again.....yay :)

7. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good game by the Rangers. First period was a bit scary with all the penalties they were taking, but their excellent PK unit stepped up once again and killed off 5 PP's. Jagr had a beautiful wrap-around goal where he deked Vokoun on the right side and then somehow got to the other side to stuff it past him. Prucha then got out of the box and had a beeeeeeautiful breakaway goal. This guy is so calm and cool. I know everyone's talkin about Sid the Kid and Ovechkin, but they better not overlook this guy. He's got some serious skills.

Lundqvist wasn't really challenged that much but made the big saves when he had to. This guy has been brilliant all season except for a couple of 5 goal games. Rucchin added two while Prucha also tallied two as well. The powerplay was once again terrible. They really need to get things worked out on the PP. They've got such a wonderful PK unit, it's a shame that their PP unit is as bad as it is. They also need to get some tough guys. I don't know if an enforcer would be the right type of player, but they definitely need a big body to step up and throw hits. The Predators were running wild and hitting every Ranger in sight, especially Hartnell and Hordichuk. Luckily Strudwick was in and could take care of business, but eventually things are gonna get ugly if that's the only guy the Rangers have to take care of business.

The Rangers also have to stop being complacent. The Preds came out hard in the third period, leading to their lone goal. They need to play 60 full mins. Anyway, I guess I shouldn't complain too much. They finally got more than 3 goals in a game and Jagr also broke his scoring drought. Good effort overall by the Blueshirts.

Next up is lowly St. Louis. We better win this game.

8. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugly win. It was pretty damn dissapointing considering we were playing the worst team in the NHL. The Blues came out strong and played a pretty solid game except for their goaltending. The Rangers were lucky. They took way too many penalties at crucial stages in the game and their special teams failed them. Prucha's PP goal was luck and their PP still hasn't clicked. The PK unit was ok, but I only say that because they were shorthanded 12 times and 2 goals don't seem like much when you're in the box for so long. But it was the stupid penalties they took that killed them. I did think the call on Straka was pretty weak. It was a hooking call and I know the stick was in the midsection, but c'mon, every player does that. It didn't really do much to slow down the forward.

Rucinsky's game winner was a fluke. Luckily Lalime wasn't sharp, although I don't know whether that was bad positioning or bad luck. Maybe a little bit of both. Still, credit the Rangers for escaping with 2 points. They played terribly but I'll take it. 2 PP goals allowed, a shorthanded goal allowed, and they still win. They continue to surprise me.

Two days off before they face Vancouver. After that they don't play till the 18th. Hopefully all this rest will help.

9. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Can I say I hate the shootout? Cause I really do..... and the Icelanders.... F\/CK You!

10. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    ...........surely not the same guy.......?

11. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I NEED MY HOCKEY!!!!

Rangers have had one ********ed up schedule so far.

12. Lewie

Lewie New Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Queens,New York
    Yea they have lol.

it'll be worth the wait for me because ill be at the game on sunday :)

13. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God damn. Another loss to a Western Conference foe at home. That's 2 straight losses. The Avs played good defense and the Rangers didn't get anything going offensively. I'm a bit worried about this team. I know they play hard and hustle, but they only have one scoring line that doesn't even always click. There were rumors of Sykora coming here and questions of how that might screw up the team chemistry. At this point though, I'd make the Sykora trade. They need more talent because one formidable scoring line just ain't gonna cut it. I remember in 2001-2002 the Rangers were in a playoff spot until 2002 came along and they played themselves out of it. I don't want the same to happen to this team.

PS - I love Ryan Hollweg. Give this guy some more ice time.

14. Lewie

Lewie New Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Queens,New York
    Ugh third straight loss, the goal scoring has disappeared.

15. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rangers at the Garden tonight to face the Bolts.

3 straight losses, all at home. Stop the bleeding now dammit. I remember the Rangers were surging during the 2001-2002 season. Then once 2002 came along, everything changed and the Rangers failed to make the playoffs. I hope the same isn't happening with this team. They seem to lack the same chemistry they had earlier in the season. I hate to say it's a lack of effort since we know that's not true (just look at Prucha's assist to Rucchin against the Devils) but they just need to get things going. Offensively it's just not happening. The powerplay is just atrocious. Hell, they're lucky if they can even set up. They had a good showing last time these two met in Tampa and hopefully we'll see the same again.

I'm worried that this team is gonna fall back down to earth. It's obvious this team has overachieved thus far. They've pretty much been sitting atop the Atlantic the whole season, but with the number of goals they're scoring, this team isn't gonna make it very far in the playoffs, if they make it at all. The Isles are gaining ground and the Flyers have always been right behind us with games in hand. If Sykora is still available, I say go get him.

16. Lewie

Lewie New Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Queens,New York
    I agree that we should get Sykora as well, but who do we give up to get him?

17. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only name I've heard in the rumors is Poti. After last night's goal I don't know if that changes things. To me he's still a piece of ********. He had a defensive lapse which almost led to a Lightning goal. To me the goal doesn't really change much on my perspective of him. But I would imagine for a guy like Sykora, no matter what he's done this season, we'd have to give up more than just Poti. I know that this team has great chemistry and what not, but we're also a very young team that plays hard every night. I think we got some guys in Hartford who could put forth the same effort, so whoever would go along with Poti, I imagine it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Good win. Stopped the bleeding at 3 games. 2 PP goals by the Rangers thanks to Prucha and Poti. Straka also chipped in with a really nice goal and Rucinsky got the empty netter to seal the deal. Lundqvist was back in net after sitting out the last 9 games but he was sharp. The Rangers were controlling the play for most of the first 2 periods but looked pretty stagnant in the third. After the Bolts tied it up, I was sure that we were done. However, Tom Poti came to the rescue after hearing boos most of the night. He blasted a rocket past Grahame to get the eventual game winner. Jagr also had 3 assists. I think one of the stars of the game should've been Jed Ortmeyer. The guy was all over the place blocking shots and had a couple of real good chances shorthanded. It was also nice to see Ville back in the lineup. I think the guy brings a real spark to the team and gets under the other team's skin.

Anyway, hope everyone has a happy holidays. Rangers take on the first place Sens on the 26th in Ottawa so we'll see how that goes before they return to New York to face the Fish Stick at the Coliseum. Merry Christmas folks and Happy Holidays.

18. Lewie

Lewie New Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Queens,New York
    Actually it was 3 PP goals, Straka's goal was also on the PP.

I dunno if we should give up Poti, hes the only puck moving defenseman we have, but that the same time hes not that good on the defensive side of things so im not sure.

19. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoops. Forgot about Straka.

I agree that he's the only puck moving defenseman we have, but the guy has too many defensive lapses. Seems like when he's skating back and is facing the opponent, he has no clue what to do. I remember the game against the Bruins, he just completely went after the wrong man and let up a breakaway in which Lundqvist bailed his ass out. He wasn't even blocking the passing lane either, he just looked like an idiot. But we shall see. Maybe this'll be the spark Poti needed to get things going. He definitely has had his fair share of scoring opportunities so we'll see.

20. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was at a family party so I didn't get to see much of the game except for a few mins of the 3rd period. Apparently Weekes was terrible. Larry Brooks from the Post wondered why Renney went with the veteran over the rookie who's performing better. I honestly didn't mind Weekes being the number one. I thought it was a smart move to not rush Lundqvist and expect him to handle the burden of being the #1 even though he's lived up to or past expectations. I didn't want him to be like Blackburn and thrown into the mix only to get clobbered every night. However, I think it's becoming quite clear that Lundqvist is the #1 and should be the #1. Ahh well. Sens ripped the Rangers 6-2. Didn't see the game so I can't comment.

Rangers vs. Fish Sticks tomorrow night at the Coliseum. Wish I had tickets to this one. I love going to the Coliseum for Rangers/Isles. I also had a dream last night that there was a riot at the Coliseum. An Islander threw a cheap shot while the Rangers went on the rush and scored. Then another cheap hit which made both benches come out onto the ice and fight. Then the fans broke down the glass and poured onto the ice to start fighting. It was weird. And I actually had a hockey dream. Never happened before.

21. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Now that's how you play hockey!

[​IMG]

Rangers get off their run of poor form by throwing in six unanswered goals and flushing the Islanders down the tubes.

NICE.

Lundqvist gets the win to go to 14-5, and I'm again subscribing to my "they play better when he's in net" theory. Sure sign of the apocalypse part # 632, even Poti scored. Jagr with 1 g and 3 a, and- yes- I'm officially starting to think that the USA hockey team is heading for 5th place in Turin.

Blueshirts head to Pittsburg for what you hope would be an win before coming home to play 4 big games in a row against Tampa, Philly, Florida & Calgary. I'll be there on Tuesday against Tampa, rooting from the cheap seats.

22. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WHOOOO!!!!!!! What a game!!!! What a win!!!!

I'm more than happy with the Rangers performance last night. They absolutely embarassed the Fish Sticks at home with 6 unanswered goals after allowing the first 2. The Islanders came out strong and firing on all cylinders. They threw the body and dominated most of the first period by getting 2 quick goals. Then he-better-be-a-rookie-of-the-year candidate Petr Prucha calmly roofed one past DiPietro to get the Rangers back in it. The Rangers got their heads out of their asses and got things going. Jagr evened it and then the Blueshirts took over in the third with 4 more goals courtesy of Straka, Nylander, and even TOM POTI!!!!

Lundqvist was decent in net I think. The Isles definitely had their chances but were a bit unlucky by hitting the crossbar a few times. I was dissapointed with how mismatched the Rangers were in the hits department. I thought having Colton Orr in the lineup would change things but he only had about 3 mins of ice time. I thought Hollweg would've been a much better choice to have as he's a ball of energy every shift he gets.

Anyway, great game and great win, although any win over the Fish Sticks is a good one. Ending 2005 where we started it; in Philly to get one step closer to regaining the division lead. POTVIN SUCKS!!!!

23. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, didn't there used to be a Fish Sticks thread? I was thinking about going in there and doing some friendly trolling but can't seem to find it anywhere. :D

25. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, but it kinda sucks talking to yourself. So, I'll just troll on yours
    Again, Suck it :)