Preventing Ankle Injuries In Youth Players

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by AndrewSoccer, Feb 27, 2016.

1. AndrewSoccer

AndrewSoccer New Member

Jan 23, 2016
    #1 AndrewSoccer, Feb 27, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    I noticed some people talking about ankle pain in youth players. This is a simple resistance band routine that strengthens muscles, tendons, ligaments and prevents ankle, knee(acl), and hip injuries. Tendons and ligaments get poor blood flow. If you tear a pectoral muscle it will turn black and blue. If you injure your lower back there will be no visible signs. This means you need high repetitions with low resistance to pump blood into your tendons and ligaments. Tendons and ligaments are also where kinetic energy is stored. This means that strengthening tendons and ligaments will also make a player more explosive.

Part 1 - Ankle

Part 2 - Knee/Hip

2. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If you sprain your ankle and come back too soon. Your very likely to sprain your ankle again. It can become a chronic condition. It has happened to me I had to tape up before I played American and soccer.

I had to even tape up before just walking around. It would go out if I stepped wrong.

I use the elastic bands 3 times a day every day get it from a pharmacuitcal house. I also jump rope good for conditioning and strength and it's fun.

3. AndrewSoccer

AndrewSoccer New Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Post Surgery Knee Strengthening:

This can be done 1-3 days after surgery depending on soreness.

4. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    On knee strengthening video. He is starting it from a hyper extension knee starting position this is wrong. Better to start it from a blended knee position

5. AndrewSoccer

AndrewSoccer New Member

Jan 23, 2016
    More knee strengthening/Injury prevention:

6. AndrewSoccer

AndrewSoccer New Member

Jan 23, 2016
    @nicklaino There is a slight bend in the knee. If I was using a resistance band with 100-200 lbs of resistance, this might be the case. The resistance band I was using is extremely light. For post surgery recovery, it doesn't matter which position you start in as long as you do it in a safe way that increases your range of motion and avoid pain while strengthening your muscles tendons and ligaments.

7. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I saw the picture of your knee when the first video started. The knee is in a hyper extended position.

Incidently, where are you getting your music from it's like the music in the movie deliverance :)

8. balla9

balla9 New Member

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Apr 5, 2018
    Hi guys, I am from France, I have been in United States for 1 year and I have a stubborn hip flexor tendonitis that lasts since more than one year. I want to become a professional soccer player and this injury is killing my goal. I first tried to rest during 2 months, when I came back the pain was still there. Then, I didn't play from august to December and it was still not healed. 2 weeks ago, I got a cortisone injection in my hip but infortunately, it didn't help. Right now I feel hopeless I don't what to do to cure this injury. Is there any testimonials from players who got through this injury ?

9. johngonole

johngonole Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Feb 15, 2018
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...o-later-hip-deformities-idUSKBN0KV1XX20150122

There are other articles about this. I remember there was a player on Barcelona's squad last year that was having to play though hip pain. I can't remember who at the moment. But it is correctable by surgery. A lot of soccer players develop the type of hip pain he had because of what is mentioned in the article above.

Sorry I can't be of more help. It could be a lot of things. If you google around you might be able to fine a description that most fits the pain you feel. Then you might try going to a doctor that has worked with lots of soccer athletes.

It could be a bone issue, tendon, muscle.... If Cortisone didn't work than they either missed your spot or it might not be inflammation related. I'm wondering if it might not be a bone related issue.

I'm no doctor. But I do have a compressed disk in my back. And cortisone did trick for me.

10. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Get a script for PT and go to a sports specific PT shop. If they know soccer they will know FAI...which is what the article describes.

Likely you are out of balance in terms of strength and flexibility. Stretching and strengthening can have a positive effect...surgery will put you out 3-6 months. Try the PT first.

11. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Soccer coach advice, not a medical trainer.

I had a high school goalkeeper I worked with that had constant ankle issues. I taught him how to jump rope and it changed his life. Don’t over do it at first, but build up to a nice workout. Not only did the jump roping help him from constantly injuring his ankles, it also helped him jump higher for balls and increased his explosiveness in all directions.

If players do injure their ankles, please ice down ASAP. The more swelling the longer the rehab to wellness. The standard “ice on, ice off, ice on, ice off” routine works best along with ibuprofen (if allowed by parent). If the injury was caused by impact it would be a good idea to have parents have it x-rayed for possible break.

bigredfutbol repped this.