Preseason News & Schedule

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by BIGBADMIKE, Dec 30, 2019.

1. BIGBADMIKE

BIGBADMIKE Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Please post any preseason events or schedules ...

I myself would love to drive or fly to a preseason game ... even a practice perhaps .....

BBM

2. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could hang on the beach in Cancun... maybe join the team for Navy Seal training.

don gagliardi repped this.
  3. BIGBADMIKE

BIGBADMIKE Member

Nov 4, 2003
  4. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $500 is a pretty good price for that flight... though that first layover is a doozy.

5. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing about long layovers is that you rarely miss your next flight. I once landed in Atlanta ten minutes before my next flight boarded, and I was three gates away. Had to take the freaking train, almost missed my flight. I was really peed. I won’t fly Delta again.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

6. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That's happened to me on every airline - it's not just Delta...

7. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were shit about it. Changed my flight time, then wouldn’t agree to hold the flight. I had to run to make it. Steaming pile of dung that.

8. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Airlines have to pay a fine when they don't make their push-back time. They won't do it for one person - even our Mark! ;)

9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    About 25 years ago, on a deposition trip, flying from Phoenix to LA, I had an all-too brief layover in the tiny airport in the middle of the desert at Yuma, Arizona. I left the plane to go the bathroom and 30 seconds later, when I returned, the puddle-jumper plane had left the gate. But they called it back to allow me to get on. Lots of ugly looks getting to my seat, but people chilled out when they announced free alcoholic drinks for all to make up for the slight delay. A more gracious way of life in the pre-internet age. :)

TyffaneeSue, markmcf8 and bsman repped this.
  10. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah - air travel used to be rather genteel and civilized. Now, unless you're going first class it's just a flying Greyhound Bus...

Bajoro repped this.
  11. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched a documentary about Pan Am a few years ago (yes, I was alive when Pan Am was around... I'm old :() in which, among other things, it mentioned that the line of demarcation between what you wrote in your first sentence and what you wrote in your second sentence was when the airline first introduced the 747, which was the first airline plane to significantly increase its passenger capacity from the previous plane used.

It was Pan Am's plan to use the increased capacity to lower rates so that more regular joes and families could afford to fly. The plan ended up working only too well, in a "be careful for what you wish for..." way. :eek:

Needless to say, the other airlines soon followed suit.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

bsman repped this.
  13. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shows you how much excitement ownership has given quake fans for the upcoming season.........here we are in a preseason thread and we are talking about flight delays and not DP's....

markmcf8 and don gagliardi repped this.
  14. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm with you, man. In the early 90s, I was travelling on business a lot, and flew many airlines that are no longer with us: Continental, Eastern, TWA, etc. I found that airlines in bankruptcy often had the best service....

Goodsport repped this.
  15. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I fly direct to destination whenever possible or available to avoid the cluster******** that is the layovers or transfers. :D

16. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA
    There was a time when getting the plane to open a closed door, or even to return to the gate was not all that uncommon. I attended a car race at the Ontario Motor Speeway, when it existed, not all that far from the Ontario Airport. My ride, a guy who worked at the speedway, could not leave until the racing had concluded. I was booked on a Continental flight to San Jose (that actually made an intermediate stop at the Burbank Airport) and when I got to the boarding area, the plane door was shut and they were pulling the boarding stairs away from the plane. They pushed the stairs back to the aircraft, opened the door and let me in. I remember some kid remarking "that must be an important guy"....really funny. Another time, I had been visiting my parents in Florida and had a flight from Sarasota to Miami to visit friends. The departure schedule had changed but I was never notified (they were supposed to call me at my parent's home if there were changes). Sarasota was in the process of airport expansion at that time (this was the early 80s), so the commuter airline had a trailer as a ticket counter/boarding lounge. I explained that I never received the call. Fortunately, the plane had not yet departed. They called it back to the gate and let me on. No comments on this one. It really was a different time.

Bajoro and don gagliardi repped this.
  17. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    markmcf8 and don gagliardi repped this.
  18. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    closed door pre-season matches? ah, come on - we've been waiting all this time...

markmcf8 repped this.
  19. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah, I want to see the new guys already! :)

20. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    ouch!

21. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Are still expecting a center back signing or was the super draft pick what Jesse was talking about?

22. BIGBADMIKE

BIGBADMIKE Member

Nov 4, 2003
  23. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    markmcf8 and Scott Rohde repped this.
  24. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, great, it's at the same time I need to report in for jury duty. :(

25. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't think Mexico has an extradition treaty with the US, so go ahead!

markmcf8 and hc897 repped this.