Preseason news & notes

Discussion in 'Atlanta Beat' started by kool-aide, Mar 8, 2010.

1. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    I'm excited to see Thompson play, she seems to be the real deal.

2. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Beat won 5 - 0 against UNC. Yamaguchi scored a pair of goals, one of which was an absolutely beautiful shot from just outside the penalty box. I believe Mundy scored one and Zerboni also scored. Can't recall who scored the fifth. No names on the jerseys yet, and I'm just not familiar enough with the new players.

Heath did not play. Ocampo is playing for Mexico toaday so she was absent.

3. tobinheathfan13

tobinheathfan13 New Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was Heath there at all? On the bench or something?

4. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't see her, but the players' benches were across the field from the stands.

5. ATLBeat News

ATLBeat News New Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    KENNESAW, GA (Mar. 28, 2010) – The Atlanta Beat Women’s Professional Soccer team defeated the University of North Carolina 5-0 on Sunday at Kennesaw State University.

Finishing three goals in the first half and two in the second, the Beat saw it’s second highest scoreline and margin for victory in an exhibition match this preseason.

Just six minutes into the game, Beat Midfielder Angie Kerr sent a ball across the box to Sophia Mundy for the game’s opening goal. Moments later, Beat defender Leigh Ann Robinson attacked from the right back position serving to Japanese international Mami Yamaguchi for the team’s second finish.

“In the first half, we moved the ball out of the back very well, and we had some good combination play between fullbacks and outside mids,” said Beat Head Coach Gareth O’Sullivan. “We created several dangerous opportunities involving our fullbacks coming through, and we were able to finish on Leigh Ann’s attacking run with service to Mami.”

McCall Zerboni scored unassisted, finishing the Beat’s third goal just before the half.

Play went back and forth in the beginning of the second half before ...READ MORE

6. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Saw that Manya Makoski is out with a season ending injury... ACL? Sorry to hear that.

7. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry if this has been addressed, but is Blakely Mattern injured or finishing classes? I haven't seen her name in the lineups for any of the preseason matches.

8. Texas Gator

Texas Gator New Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mattern will more than likely be offered a developmental contract. I watched her interview and she seams like a very good person. Atlanta want's to build their organization with high character people.

9. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    I'll bet the other teams don't care so much about that, huh!? (Just having fun ...)

10. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Truth is, I have heard a lot of positive things about Mattern, both on an off the field at South Carolina. I hope she makes it.

11. Cupidcat

Cupidcat Member

Feb 20, 2010
    germany
    Club:
    --other--
    Hello Beat News.
    When is the cut taking place? and please let us have some more photos next to the names on your homepage.
    Otherwise keep up the great work.:):):)

12. Texas Gator

Texas Gator New Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Atlanta Beat GM said he was going to announce the final roster yesterday..still no word

13. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe April 1 is the final cut day. There seem to be some last minute moves being made on several teams.

14. Cupidcat

Cupidcat Member

Feb 20, 2010
    germany
    Club:
    --other--
    I wonder if they haven't decided yet or our infomation staff is off for a long Easter weekend!:confused:

OOps if tomorrow is the last day then we have a few hours still

15. ATL Beat GM

ATL Beat GM New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Hey All,

The final roster is set, as stated in my tweet. However, the league will make the roster public tomrrow...April 1st. Stay tuned.

16. Texas Gator

Texas Gator New Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The league said it was releasing the final rosters at 3 PM EST on April 1. that was 3 hours ago. The WPS is trying to build their league up and this is not the way to win fans. Don't make an announcement then not do it. It seems the WPS operates like the Federal Government: Over promise and under deliver.

17. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From a press release from Christa:

Bachmann, Bishop, Cinalli, Hamm, Heath, Kerr, Larkin, Lofton-Malachi, Makoski (IR), Maron, Mattern, McNeill, Mundy, Nolin, Ocampo, Rasmussen, Robinson, Sesselmann, Schumaker-Hodge, Thompson, Whitworth, Yamaguchi, Zerboni.

It did not say which were the developmental players.

18. ATLBeat News

ATLBeat News New Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Hey Cupidcat! Thanks for the note. We'll try to do more player id's for you.

KENNESAW, GA (Mar. 15, 2010) – Atlanta Beat General Manager Shawn McGee announced the team’s 22 player roster which includes 18 fulltime players and four developmental players for the regular season.

The Beat features ten athletes with Women’s Professional Soccer experience in addition to five internationals, three college stand-outs, and several others with overseas experience.

"We are excited to finally have the roster completed," said McGee. "From year one, we believe this team will vie for a WPS Championship."

With a 6-1 preseason record and outscoring opponents 19-5, "We are playing well approaching the season opener," said Head Coach Gareth O’Sullivan. "We came into camp with some talented players and had to make tough decisions to decrease the roster to 22. With the players we have, we are a possession style team with many attacking options. Our defense is strengthening and we have great depth at the goalkeeper position."

Click Here for the 2010 Atlanta Beat Roster

19. ATL Beat GM

ATL Beat GM New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Texas Gator, a bit disappointed. Be happy to speak to you via phone. Just call my direct line at 678.298.4713 to discuss. The fact is that the is much more than you know that goes on behind the curtain. Be happy to enlighten you on how things work within the league. call me....

20. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's one young roster. Oldest player is Rebecca Nolin, who doesn't turn 27 until after the season starts.

21. Del Piero 10

Del Piero 10 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Does anyone know which of the 6 internationals (Bachmann, Nolin, Ocampo, Rasmussen, Thompson, Yamaguchi) doesn't count against the 5 international roster spots? Also, any idea who the 4 developmental players are?

22. ATL_Iron

ATL_Iron New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Need to give a shout out to the league there for the player roster link. Adding the twitter handles next to the player names. Excellent way of increasing engagement with the players on a personal level.

23. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
  24. mona

mona Member

Oct 21, 2003