Preseason DCU Party

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by PSURoss, Feb 12, 2019.

1. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    This is the email I just got ...
    [​IMG]
    Ross, You're Invited!

Help us re-open Audi Field for the 2019 season!

On Saturday, March 2nd from 3 PM - 6 PM, D.C. United, in partnership with the Embassy of the State of Qatar, is opening up Audi Field for a one-day celebration of soccer, traditional Qatari cuisine, and family and cultural activities!

As a valued Season Ticket Member, you have access to RSVP for the event before it becomes available to the public.
    [​IMG]
    Bring the whole family and enjoy:
    • Kick off to 2019 Season & Qatar 2022 World Cup preview
    • Kid Zone featuring family-friendly activities
    • 16 Local DC restaurants serving a variety of Qatari Inspired Cuisine
    • FREE ADMISSION courtesy of the Embassy of the State of Qatar
    Space is limited so don't wait, click below to RSVP for this exciting kick-off event! The club shop will be open to use your member discount! Normal matchday procedures will be in place, click here to learn more.

We hope to see you there

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    No mention of players being present.

And there is NO chance I'd be attending. This is the email I've sent my rep ...

XXXXX, I can't tell you how much this breaks our hearts. Our son looks forward to this event every year in a big way, but there is no way in good conscience that we could accept the hospitality of the State of Qatar when, with Israeli stamps in our passports, we'd be denied entry to their country.

In this day and time of heightened social responsibility, I find the decision to partner the State of Qatar baffling when the club's majority owners are Jews. Even more so, given the documented corruption that went into winning the hosting rights in 2022, the human rights violations that are again well documented in the construction of their cities and stadiums that are being built to host the World Cup. The State of Qatar is not a partner I would ever want to be aligned with, when nearly every other State in the middle east has shunned them.

asitis, Heist, shawn12011 and 2 others repped this.
  2. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Please voice your condemnation of the State of Israel for murdering and butchering thousands of Palestinian children, bombing their hospitals and shutting off water and utilities.

Theopisa repped this.
  3. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I am afraid that I can't and I will not. So feel free to call me a hypocrite.

Its cut both ways for generations. Lets not forget the palestinian suicide bombers who walk on to public buses and detonate themselves killing civilians and having their familys supported by foreign governments who bankroll martyr payments and militias like Hamas, Hezbollah and Islamic Jihad that have the stated goal of destroying Israel and that refuse to live in peace with their neighbors, Jews and Muslims of different belief sets.

shawn12011 repped this.
  4. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BREAKING: Jared Kushner is on the case, and should have all this wrapped up by the 2nd. ;)

My $.02. Discussion of problematic Qatar is well in bounds, as it's obviously been chosen as the site of the next WC, and the reported conditions in that country have left them with a pretty terrible reputation. Before this thread, which has value, goes down the rabbit hole, let's get back to Qatar and the ownership's decision. The thread as initiated by the OP isn't about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, and we aren't going to solve that here.

dadman, Dizi, PSURoss and 1 other person repped this.
  5. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The dumbest part of this is having this THE DAY BEFORE Opening Day.

Have it a week before to help people get acclimated/reminded how things work, get a look at new traffic patterns, etc.

But the day before? Really? So if you live within walking distance, great you could go to both. If you don't do any kind of pre-gaming or post-gaming maybe you can do both too - but if you plan on doing anything or visiting with friends, etc on Game Day, why would you have time or the inclination to go all the way into town twice like that.

Anyway, probably just me and my old, driving-an-hour-to-get-there self.

Not that it was their choice 100%, but I'd rather they had the game Saturday and the dumb showoff cash-grab event Sunday :cool:

dadman, sitruc, PSURoss and 2 others repped this.
  6. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Nonsense. If DC supporters groups could solve things and let bygones be bygones, we could solve that mideast thingee in an instant.

Theopisa, GumbyG and griffin1108 repped this.
  7. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Totally agree. We here on BS have solved many otherwise intractable problems many times over. Now some may call us "internet nuts", but I prefer to consider myself a "reasoned problem solver." Although, I'm sure in @shawn12011's eyes, I'm just a "deckchair.":)

Heist, fatbastard, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  8. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    You forget in the year two thousand and eighteen we settled not the unimportant question of "who is a deckchair?" but the more basic level we agreed on a definition of deckchair. A truly Nobelesque moment.

Winoman repped this.
  9. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Partnering with Qatar, and here I thought this FO could not place their heads ajy further up their asses and here I was wrong. :rolleyes:

Winoman repped this.
  10. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh no you are starter material!!!!

Winoman repped this.
  11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Are they going to unintentionally pay for the stadium?

Winoman repped this.
  12. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point they should have a Hitler night vs the Red Bulls.

griffin1108 repped this.
  13. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They would if he could write a check.

asitis, dadman, Q*bert Jones III and 3 others repped this.
  14. DC Braveheart

DC Braveheart Member

D.C. United
    Scotland
    Jan 2, 2001
    Oak Hill, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I'm staying well away from the political stuff .. I sent the following message to my rep as soon as I saw the email this morning:

"That is embarrassing … DCU is partnering with the country the corruptly stole the 2022 World Cup from under the feet of the USA bid???? … shame on DCU management! Please pass this message on to the powers that be."

He replied with "I’ll be sure to pass this up the chain of command."

:)

Winoman, shawn12011 and Abner Ravenwood repped this.
  15. Abner Ravenwood

Jul 21, 2004
    Last seen in Nepal
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if we have the same rep, or if they're all told to say the same thing when faced with... "constructive feedback"

Winoman repped this.
  16. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your email was forwarded via
    [​IMG]

ejs1111, dadman, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  17. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I am more upset of DCU partnering with Flo than with Qatar.

shawn12011 repped this.
  18. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Also, FYI, Israel does no longer stamps passports, upon entry in the country they give you some sort of stylized card with all your information and your picture on it, and you have to keep together with your passport and show it upon departure. When you leave the country, they gave you an exact same card, only of a different color, and it's up to you to decide what to do with it once you leave.

19. D C B 2 3

D C B 2 3 Member+

Nov 18, 2007
    VA
    Holding it the day before is weird. I don't get that at all.

Winoman repped this.
  20. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All over the sports reports on yesterday's local news was Qatar holding some sort of workout for kids involving many Washington DC football players.

They're in all the DC stadiums and teams this month. Hmmmm.

Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  21. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    It keeps attendance down. Unless you live right there, how practical is it to go down to the stadium on Saturday and Sunday? Most of us have lives and shit to do on the weekends.

Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  22. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Agreed. Qatar is particularly unsubtle with their PR. In this case they imposed themselves in a particular way, such that a fan would be hard pressed not to note it, and not to feel awkward about showing up to the event if they happened to have qualms about Qatar.

marks7mb, Winoman, sitruc and 1 other person repped this.
  23. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    All of the PSG stuff and then potential sponsorship with Qatar Airways and now this is all stuff that makes me go hmmm.

Winoman repped this.
  24. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    This editorial paints a very dim picture of the Qatari ownership of PSG

Winoman repped this.
  25. seanT

seanT Member

Feb 15, 2000
    Washington, DC
    I'm totally going. I'm thinking Qatar is so unpopular they may end up paying me to attend WC 2022! I mean with Manafort and Stone in the big house, there are lots of lucrative opportunities out there.

Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.