Premier League: West Bromwich Albion v ARSENAL - Sat 18th Mar

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by voltman, Mar 14, 2017.

1. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    In 2014/15 Arsenal he partners with Ramsey and we have a midfield with no defense and Ramsey gets injured exposing Fabregas' decaying legs.

He wouod rack up stars but we would be in the same position.

2. Sarcasm Bot

Sarcasm Bot Member+

Nov 4, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Yeah he did play a significant role, but Barca were worse for it imo. You're right that he could not be Xavi and that's where they played him the most (it was the most vacant spot). He was also played as a false 9 and he did okay, but the team performed worse for it.

I didn't say he's not a good player, but I'm not sure using his stint at barca to justify his quality is smart. He also pushed Thiago out to some extent. If it weren't for him (and injuries, mind), Thiago would have played sufficient minutes in his final year there so as to null his 20 mil release.

Arsenal could use him, yes, but they could use many other players before him.

DutchCane and DaPrince84 repped this.
  3. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Next season is not the time to rebuild. The next 12-24 months is going to be a horrendous adaptation process, and a new manager is going to get stuck trying to stop the bleeding rather than making headway in rebuilding.

Wenger needs to stay for at least another 12 months to manage the fall, and maybe in a year we will be in a position to start rebuilding, and can do that under a new manager.

4. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I agree he is not necessarily the best fit for Arsenal, but he nevertheless was a class player who dropped right into Wenger's lap on the cheap

I would give Wenger a pass on this had he instead signed other stars!

But instead we saw him stay invested in crocked players and signing dross.

5. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I don't think there would be that much rebuilding if Wenger was sacked now.

Him staying is going to cause the rebuilding because the big players have lost belief.

Fifty and MisplacedSpainard repped this.
  6. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Meanwhile gnabry continues to blossom away from Wengers great talent development

thebigman, Fifty and MisplacedSpainard repped this.
  7. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Whether Wenger left today, or renewed for another four years, we are going to need a complete overhaul of the squad, and we will have less resources at our disposal than we did last summer, or were expecting to have going forward.

Next season is purely about managing the fall, and that's not a great position for a new manager. The damage is done. Our big players will leave no matter who is managing the club next season, so the best course forward is to wait for the shitty year ahead to pass, and then bring in a new manager when they will actually be given a chance to succeed.

Bringing in someone new at this point is just going to be setting them up to fail. If we miraculously ended up in the top 4, Wenger needs to leave so quickly he is not even in the stadium for a post-game interview. If not, he needs to stick around until we stabilize as a top 7 team.

8. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not sure I trust him to fix the issues any more, simply because it looks like the players no longer listen to him. That's the death knell for any manager.

I don't think there's a need for overhauling the squad - it's a good squad, with a couple of weaknesses, but nothing that isn't fixable with two big signings: an elite winger, and another ball playing midfielder. But the play on the field has been anarchy since January.

Fifty repped this.
  9. Sarcasm Bot

Sarcasm Bot Member+

Nov 4, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    you bring a new reputed manager and convince ozil and alexis to re-sign (give them more money). All the other important players (kind of lel but still) are tied down long-term. Just buy 2 or 3 pieces and there's the rebuild done for a long while at least.

10. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Even if Wenger goes and we struggle next year there is no way we drop out of the top 6 on our top end talent alone. Not to mention a new manager brings in new players.
    As it is, Wenger has done his dash and from the looks of it "lost the dressing room". There is no coming back from that. If he hangs around next year, then we go further down. If we bring in someone new, we possibly keep the stars considering leaving and have a chance to bring in something fresh.

11. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't think we can get Ozil and Sanchez to renew at this point, even if we brought in a new manager, and the fact that we won't be able to demand a large fee for either is going to cast a big shadow over next season.

12. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    i think you just like being a contrarian.

We need a new manager. Wenger has not shown he has the ability to right this ship. The cowardly thing to do would be to stay, imo.

thebigman, DutchCane and Fifty repped this.
  13. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wenger most certainly can't right this ship, but he needs to own this mess as it unfolds over the next few months. Dumping that on a new manager is just going to undermine their ability to rebuild the team. I wouldn't give Wenger a 4 year contract, but I'd absolutely give him a 12 month extension - assuming we don't finish in the top 4.

Let the transfer fallout from our season, and the Ozil/Sanchez departures take place, let's spend a season in the Europa league (or ideally out of Europe altogether), and then bring in a new manager.

I've said several times, if we scrape our way into the top 4, Wenger should go this season. The Ozil/Sanchez stuff will be bad, but the situation will be a lot more manageable for a new manager stepping into the position. The loss of CL in terms of revenue, attracting players, and retaining players is going to be a major change, and fans are not going to be able to separate what is the product of our new situation and what is the product of our new manager's shortcomings.

14. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    We will fall further behind next year if we have Wenger at the helm, what talent is going to want to come to a club that from the outside looks in turmoil, where the top stars either won't resign or want out, and where the young talent is either injured due to overuse or not developing due to reasons unknown but clearly blame lays on the manager.

If Wenger is at the club next season, we lose our best players, will struggle to sign someone new, and then drop further down the table.
    A new manager could potentially salvage something with our best players, or failing that at least bring in new players based on their connections.

15. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    I compared wenger to bowden and paterno and charlie got all up in arms lol where is that dude hiding at now that wengers being exposed left right and center?

16. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He stopped posting after the election, apparently.

17. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    man got deported eh?

18. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Lmao

Anyway, Wenger is t capable of building a anything nowadays

I hope the fans push the old cretin out if he has re upped

Fifty repped this.
  19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know how y'all feel about this but we have a match in just under 4 days. Some would argue "it's a big one against Citeh".

Somebody new want to take up the gauntlet and start the next thread?

It's kind of a no-lose situation. If you dread starting the next thread, there's always the chance that we lose and you're reign is over after one game. Or if we win, against a team above us, there's always the relative euphoria of that which might just make us all want to continue our addiction. ;)