Premier League/Football League 2018-19 Assignments and Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by code1390, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To quote those on the other side of the pond. That was a Banger!

I was watching on my phone @ work, I let a little "whoop" slip...

I was curious about that potential handling in the first half by Leicester. I don't think the feed ever show'd a replay. Dean had pretty good position, so I guess it was a correct no call.

2. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fischietto repped this.
  4. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I think Dean is at the stage of his career where he can pretty much do whatever he wants and he knows it and I love it!

What are they doing to do? Fire him?

tomek75 repped this.
  5. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    Boom exactly, if you could replace him you would. Nobody wants to do this job so let the crazy ones keep doing it!

6. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    They're hardly going to do anything to him for going on a League 2 match, especially as he's been open about supporting them for many years.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  7. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Haha like the PGMOL could fire him. They still need him for the next crop of officials

8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, when I posted the video I was under the impression either people knew this or people would understand this very quickly. There’s no issue here. Just Mike Dean living his best life.

9. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s Mike Dean’s world. We’re all just paying rent.

I’ll now watch the League Two playoff final just to see how many shots of Mike Dean going nuts they will show.

10. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    His last arm motion reminds me of 0:30 here:

11. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    That's exactly how you should celebrate giving a good advantage. No referees are brave enough though it seems.

12. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris Kavanagh has his hands full in this West Brom-Villa second leg. Frantic pace and really physical. He’s done pretty well to keep things at a low boil, but the West Brom challenge in the 65th minute was a definite orange card.

13. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So here's something that seems a little off in these two-legged playoffs. Since the extra time is really considered part of the second game, a team playing short has to play short during extra time. However, a team that has a player sent off in the first leg goes back to 11 v 11 for the second leg. It seems like extra time should almost be like a "third game" since the two 90-minute games had a total score that was tied.

So in this game, it seems like West Brom should be able to return to 11 v 11 after 90 minutes instead of having to play a man down for the 30-minute extra time period.

14. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're 90 minutes away from a Leeds vs Villa playoff final after their crazy situation a couple weeks ago.

15. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I have never heard anyone ever bring that up before.

16. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Sometimes **** just happens.
    There are similar issues with the away goal rule, if the 2nd match goes into OT then one team will have 30 min extra to score a goal that's worth more.

17. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure that everyone understands the rules going in and that they accept the consequences if someone is sent off in the second leg. I'm still pretty new to all of the nuances related to two-legged playoffs. I also don't like the away goals rule in general and I HATE the rule that away goals in extra time still count double.

This is a simpleton talking when it comes to these playoff rules, but it seems like you would take one of the following two approaches in a two-legged playoff.

1) The entire tie is treated as a 180-minute game and any send-off in the first leg carries over to the second leg and extra time. Admittedly, this would be REALLY harsh.

2) If the tie is level after 180 minutes, then extra time is treated as a "third game" and starts 11 v 11.

Much like an away goal counts much more than a goal at home, to me it feels like a send-off in the second leg carries much more weight than a send-off in the first leg because the send-off then affects extra time.

18. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though it doesn't address your concern, just for factual purposes I think it's important to point out that the EFL promotion playoffs do not use the away goals rule. Given you watched yesterday, I'm sure you know that. But it is context that could be lost on others here who aren't following the playoffs.

And I get your concern from a fairness standpoint. But treating extra time of a second leg as a next match has a lot of logistical issues. What happens if caution accumulation kicked in? What happens if a team wants to appeal a send off in the second leg (now that bodies regularly grant such appeals)? Those are the big ones, but then there are smaller things like competition rules on when rosters must be submitted and warm-up time and that sort of thing... these smaller things could probably be easily addressed with explicit exceptions being written in, but they add up and create headaches.

Ultimately, I think this is just one of those things where everyone understands the rules going in. If I were to make one decree, it would be that the higher seeded team (presuming there is one) has the option of choosing the first leg or second leg given all the known rules (away goals and extra time). It looks like the EFL gives leg 2 to the higher seed in all cases, which makes some sense (you get the extra time at home if it occurs), but just like with penalty kicks there can be an advantage to "going first" and setting the stage for the tie, so I'd give the higher seed the option. Of course, as the UCL semis showed, going first at home can backfire, too.

19. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good insight, I appreciate that. I certainly don't claim to understand all of the backroom issues that something like this would face. I knew that away goals wasn't a tiebreaker in the EFL playoffs, so my opinions were much more hypothetical and my personal views about using away goals as a tiebreaker in general. The only reason to use them would be in a competition where there isn't a higher seed (for example - how would you objectively say Liverpool or Barcelona was a higher seed in their semifinal tie)? In the EFL playoffs, since there is a higher seed, the away goals rule shouldn't factor at all. I also agree that the higher seed should have the choice of which leg to host. I'm guessing most would still pick the second leg to have extra time at home, but a team with a good attack and a shaky defense could find more comfort starting at home and trying to build a lead.

20. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
  21. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess players will just need to stick to surrounding the referee and yelling obscenities at him. We need to make sure the sanctity of the VAR signal is protected.

MrPerfectNot repped this.
  22. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    Spanish Second Division uses the EFL promotion playoffs system with one alteration: If the teams are still drawn at the end of extra time of the second leg, they do not go to kicks from the mark. The team that finished higher in the regular season wins the tie.

23. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought Anthony Taylor was great in the Leeds-Derby County second leg. Set the tone early with some good cautions and got a penalty right (he was in perfect position to see an off the ball foul) along with two really good send-offs. When the only really big question I have is whether his last send-off was straight red or a 2CT, that's having yourself a good night with the whistle.

24. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have only seen one highlight, but wasn't Leeds' second goal objectively offside?

Maybe I'm missing something, but felt like a definite case where VAR would have overturned. And if Leeds had gone through, that would have been a problem.

25. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest, that was the part of the game where my son made it home and I was helping him get situated for his homework. I'll have to go back and watch that play on the replay again since I missed it. Taylor's foul/misconduct recognition was really good and he was all over the field. I'd love to see what his mileage stats and field heat map looked like.