Premier League/Football League 2018-19 Assignments and Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by code1390, Aug 7, 2018.

1. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Don’t see how you can go dogso on the almiron foul unless you take distance out of the considerations. That having been said, almiron’s big touch meant that no one in the premier league is gonna catch him and the reason dogso exists is to punish severely this exact sort of cynicism.

Vc (or sfp) seems to be a bit of a stretch given the physicality allowed in the premier league, but it does cross the mind, doesn’t it?

2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s really not, though. And this is going to be a huge wake up call for EPL fans next season.

That’s a foul, sure. But that isn’t always given as a penalty. It’s a fact of life. If VAR was meant to call every defensive foul in the penalty area, we’d average three penalties per game. Just take a look at a few clear fouls in MLS this year when PRO then said the threshold wasn’t met for VAR intervention.

“Yes, that’s a penalty” does not translate to “Yes, not calling a penalty is clearly wrong and VAR needs to intervene there.” If the standard was simply “is that a penalty?” then we would just have VARs re-referee everything and send down a lot more than they do now.

Is that enough for VAR intervention? It’s close. I think in some competitions, yes. In MLS, probably no (though maybe with some VARs). But if anyone thinks that’s a stonewall VAR intervention, they haven’t been paying attention these past two years.

The big problem for England, again, is that there will be no OFRs if the FA holds the line. The VAR would simply tell Oliver to award a penalty. Imagine being Oliver and having that happen? Something you thought was simply a coming together and tangle of legs is now a penalty. And you have to award it. And you don’t get to see it. Staggeringly foolish plan from the FA...

3. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not?

Distance is a consideration. There’s no black and white line. You should consider it and then make your assessment.

Your very next line was that no one in the league would catch him. The distance obviously isn’t enough to negate an OGSO in your mind. So in what way have you actually considered distance, other than to conclude it’s too far (even though you actually concluded it isn’t)?

I know why Taylor went yellow. It’s REALLY far and a lot can happen over 70 yards. I know what @RedStar91 is saying and I can see why PGMOL might back him or even want the yellow. But for me the cynicism, the speed of play, the deliberate nature of the foul, and the two on zero scenario trumps the distance. I believe I’d go red.

Bit of a war story but I had a situation like this a few years ago. Amateur match but with an assessor from PRO. Fastest guy in the league gets yanked down by his shirt in the center circle but inside his own half. So about 60 yards from goal. Knowing what I knew about the player in question and the player expectations, I went red. Assessor said in an amateur match, yellow is preferred there because the distance created too much uncertainty for a non-professional player (he even cited the uneven playing surface). That said, he admitted had this been a USL match, I probably have to go red. So he bought into the idea that this is more red at the pro level than the amateur level. Thankfully, he said he wouldn’t mark it as a missed KMI in either setting.

IASocFan and chwmy repped this.
  4. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    There were 10-12 yards between a flying attacker and the next closest defender.
    That is the "distance" that is at issue here. Not a chance he catches him. DOGSO.

5. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is where I honestly don't get where the "clear and obvious" line is, and whether it's from the referee's perspective or from watching replays.

I completely get what you are saying about this not being clear and obvious. However, if we use the NFL-style standard of "clear visual evidence", I think it's a penalty on replay. Vertonghen doesn't get the ball. That's definitely identified on the video replay. However, this foul isn't one of those where I can watch it and say at live speed on my TV "That's absolutely a foul". At live speed, I initially thought it was a good no-call. I don't think I'd call that on the field in one of my games.

I'm just glad I'm not one of the people charged with trying to come up with some sort of consistent or objective standard to apply for plays like this!

6. SCV-Ref

SCV-Ref Member

Spurs
    Australia
    Feb 22, 2018
    I am 100% with you on this.
    Trying to turn something subjective into something objective is a recipe for ending up like Basketball.

7. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    #857 chwmy, Apr 20, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Well, of course I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said, and I appreciate you including your experience because that’s as straight from the (pro) horse’s mouth as you can get (and quite analogous to the current discussion).

But the first consideration is distance. Perhaps that doesn’t mean it’s the most important. Given the genesis and spirit of that part of the law, I would have loved Taylor to have gone red, because that would have been instructive that speed must trump distance. But he didn’t. Is not the “lesson” then that there is a distance beyond which a dogso scenario is merely tactical misconduct?

8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, in my personal situation we were smack in the center of the park and only 5 yards short of midfield. So not completely analogous. But ballpark.

9. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
  10. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I think your argument is too general tbh. Sure you need a general principle/standard for when VAR intervenes but you then need to apply it to each individual case to see if it should intervene. And in this specific case I'd say that if you polled anyone not being a Spurs supporter you would easily get 95% thinking it should have been a PK.

11. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that’s the “what does football expect?” standard, right? That’s the closest we seem to be to a definition of “clearly wrong” (other than objective offside and handling, where no one has consistent expectations).

The question is what the threshold is. 95%? 90%? 75%?

12. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    CAR:LIV

Around 67’
    Announcer whining about a back pass non-call. Pretty certain defender played it with his knee. Anyone else see this?

13. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Just corrected himself

14. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I am watching Brighton and Spurs. The announcer just said that Chris Kavanaugh Had done this fixture in September. Does anyone know if that is common or extremely rare?

15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say rare, but not extremely rare in the sense that it happens once a decade. Maybe a few times a year? I distinctly remember at least one other case in the past month or two.

Rufusabc repped this.
  16. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Wat v Sou fastest goal in EPL history comes after Sou attacker jumps and blocks a ball with his elbow, which deflects way upfield and he scores. I guess this is the sort of thing will be disallowed next year.

17. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would imagine this time of year sees more weighting toward "do we have the right referee on this game?" and less weighting toward "has this referee already done this game earlier this season?"

Spurs-Brighton has Champions League and relegation implications, so it makes sense to have one of your FIFAs or your more experienced referees (i.e. Atkinson or Marriner assuming he's in form - definitely a valid question right now) on these games.

Rufusabc repped this.
  18. branko97

branko97 Member

May 30, 2001
    New York City
    In case you didn't see it, NBC finally admitted they were wrong, after the same player pulled off the same play on Sunday. And yes, I am the "Mark" to whom Robbie Mustoe tweeted back, and who subsequently got dunked on viciously on Twitter. Haven't posted on BS in years but I did come to this thread to see whether or not I was crazy (and had been trained wrong).

19. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #869 EvanJ, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    Do some referees work center almost every matchday? If I did the math right, a referee who works 35 games chosen randomly has an 82.2 percent chance at having at least one pair of clubs both times.

Wolverhampton held on to win 2-1 at Watford after bad decisions. Wolverhampton should have been given a penalty kick when a defender hit the Wolverhampton player's legs before the ball. Then Watford committed DOGSO-F. A Wolverhampton player was in his own half when he was fouled by the last defender. The defender got a yellow. It wasn't shown live, but during the stoppage, the defender pushed a Wolverhampton player and could have been given a second yellow for that, but he wasn't. The announcers talked about if it was enough force to warrant a yellow for striking an opponent. The player who was pushed exaggerated the force, but he wasn't faking contact. Whether a straight red was given for DOGSO or a yellow for DOGSO and a second yellow for pushing, the Watford player should have been sent off.

20. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004

Michael Oliver has worked about 27 Premier League matches this year. I checked Moss and Atkinson too and they are around that number. Oliver has done 42 total matches this season.

EvanJ repped this.
  21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martin Atkinson has taken an interesting approach to today’s match in Manchester.

22. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm more excited to see VAR in England next season than most sports related things.

23. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Hererra had to have committed three last chance fouls. Plus, some really bad fouls going unpunished, as in, missed.

24. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #874 frankieboylampard, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    Matchweek 37
    Kick-offs are 15:00 BST unless stated otherwise.

Friday, 3 May
    20:00 Everton v Burnley
    Referee: Chris Kavanagh
    Assistants: Daniel Cook, Mick McDonough
    Fourth official: Anthony Taylor

Saturday, 4 May
    12:30 AFC Bournemouth v Spurs
    Referee: Craig Pawson
    Assistants: Ian Hussin, Darren Cann
    Fourth official: Simon Hooper

West Ham v Southampton
    Referee: Stuart Attwell
    Assistants: Stephen Child, Constantine Hatzidakis
    Fourth official: Martin Atkinson

Wolves v Fulham
    Referee: Jonathan Moss
    Assistants: Marc Perry, Andy Halliday
    Fourth official: Chris Kavanagh

17:30 Cardiff City v Crystal Palace
    Referee: Michael Oliver
    Assistants: Stuart Burt, Simon Bennett
    Fourth official: Graham Scott

19:45 Newcastle United v Liverpool
    Referee: Andre Marriner
    Assistants: Lee Betts, Simon Long
    Fourth official: Kevin Friend

Sunday, 5 May
    14:00 Chelsea v Watford
    Referee: Paul Tierney
    Assistants: Eddie Smart, Adrian Holmes
    Fourth official: David Coote

14:00 Huddersfield Town v Man Utd
    Referee: Lee Mason
    Assistants: Harry Lennard, Scott Ledger
    Fourth official: Mike Dean

16:30 Arsenal v Brighton
    Referee: Anthony Taylor
    Assistants: Gary Beswick, Adam Nunn
    Fourth official: Graham Scott

Monday, 6 May
    20:00 Man City v Leicester City
    Referee: Mike Dean (pictured)
    Assistants: Roger West, Dan Robathan
    Fourth official: Lee Mason

Some tough matches this weekend. Title race heats up.
    Mike Dean with the big one. Marriner has a decent match as well. Mike Oliver has a match that can finally be the game to take Cardiff off life-support. Anthony Taylor has an interesting fixture as Arsenal need the win to keep pressure on Chelsea and Brighton look for points against Arsenal as a tie would essentially seal their 17th place. Or a Cardiff tie/loss (which looks likely). Brighton will face man city on championship sunday.

25. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes some sense to have your top two referees on the Brighton and Cardiff games as relegation stakes are so high right now - especially when you can put Dean on the Man City-Leicester game. Marriner's game could be really interesting . . .

frankieboylampard repped this.