Premier League/Football League 2018-19 Assignments and Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by code1390, Aug 7, 2018.

1. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Taylor has the other Manchester derby, I’m assuming Oliver will take that game. Besides being a derby, that’s Man City’s game in hand. ManU will still be in the top four hunt.

Atkinson seems to be the “safe hands” for the PL Man City-Spurs game, but Taylor is also an option. I’ll offer a wild card option-what about Kavanagh for Man City-Spurs? I know he’s pretty new on the FIFA list, but I’ve been impressed the times I’ve watched him. He’s done a Merseyside derby, so he has some experience in big environments.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kavanaugh doesn’t have the pedigree for that. I’d say Pawson barely does. Taylor has the experience but I think, on reputation, even he’s a big stretch.

The City-Spurs match could really be a powder keg if the UCL tie is competitive, ends in controversy, or produces any injuries. It has to be one of the biggest and most trusted names.

3. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Why is that CP player allowed to wear those weighted braids flapping in his face? Even if the pieces are not metal they look like jewelry to me, and worse yet they look like they could do real damage to an eye in a header situation.

Mi3ke repped this.
  4. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Taylor is doing Man City's FA Cup semi today, so I'd say he's out.

5. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Last April, when Man City lost 2-3 at home and had to wait one more match to secure the title. There were a few controversies in that match but none at the level that would prevent Atkinson from taking charge again, especially as it's at Old Trafford this time.

6. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nice offside call there on the CP goal, OP player obstructing the keeper.

7. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    I liked it too but I wonder if it would have still been called if he had statued - he kicked out at the ball and that could have been how he became involved, not just blocking the view.

8. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    #783 Sport Billy, Apr 7, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    B4B7EDFC-0B66-49BE-95AB-C74B60F4460B.jpeg So frustrating to hear the announcer go on that this is a foul throw (foot over the line)

9. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So this could go on the VAR thread, but seems easier here...

https://streamable.com/ylk4y

Attempted headbutt, clear as day. Not given by Taylor and then not given by VAR (despite the very public "Check for Red Card"). I really worry this is where VAR is taking us (or has already taken us).

This is one of those things that "everyone knows." If you headbutt or try to headbutt someone, you're sent off. Dozens of players have seen red in EPL for this over the past 30 years. It's the way it goes. But now in the VAR era, if the referee doesn't see it, the VAR still doesn't intervene with clear video because..., why exactly? Because there's not a ton of force or a dramatic reaction from the aggrieved player? And, if that's the case, how can referees give this as a red card now in real-time when they see it properly? If Mike Dean gives a red card for an attempted headbutt next weekend, everyone will ask "why wasn't it a red card in the FA Cup when there was VAR to check it?"

It's a recipe to justify and allow more violence. It's a step backward.

10. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Agggghhhhhg

Still on about it at half

Know the law if you’re going to chastise the AR

Part of each foot must be on or behind the line. If a small portion is on the line, it doesn’t matter that the rest is on the pitch

GlennAA11 repped this.
  11. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    yes, it is annoying. This is why they need to either learn the laws or have some one on staff who knows them

12. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Note, despite appearances, I did not quickly paint on canvas a recreation of the throw.;)

13. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surprised the commentator didn't complain about the Everton player playing the ball on the ground there.

Sport Billy repped this.
  14. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    So, Mustoe stated on Twitter:
    PGMOL couldn’t have really called that a foul throw, could they?

15. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    I’m gonna offer my services to nbc sports. For a mere $1000 per game, I’ll be on standby to keep their commentators from expressing their ignorance of the rules on live tv. Think of it as VAR for commentary.

16. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just watched coverage after the game. NBCSN said "the referee" (without giving a name) said it was a foul throw. I don't know if the referee watched video and commented shortly after the game or if NBCSN was referring to an "expert" referee or former referee they talk to. Can you quote the LOTG about foul throws?

17. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    NBCSN has now doubled down. Kyle Martino not only droned on in the post game about it being a foul throw but they claimed that the referee has admitted after the fact that it was a foul throw.

18. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    The laws don’t really say what a foul throw is. They say what a legal throw is and anything not meeting that definition is “foul”

In relevant part, a legal throw requires that a thrower must “have part of each foot on the touchline or on the ground outside the
    touchline”.

In this case, one foot was behind the line and one foot had the heel on the line. Legal throw-in.

19. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Where? Been watching. Haven’t heard that.

20. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    “Poorly written”????

True of many things in the Laws, but this crystal clear and has been the same for decades.

Bad enough that 10U parents get excited about this, but professionals????

21. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear God, how hard is it?

Directly copied and pasted from Law 15 on page 123 of the 2018-19 Laws of the Game.

Procedure

At the moment of delivering the ball, the thrower must:

• stand facing the field of play

• have part of each foot on the touchline or on the ground outside the

touchline

• throw the ball with both hands from behind and over the head from

the point where it left the field of play

EvanJ repped this.
  22. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    @MassachusettsRef @code1390

Is there someone you have connections to to verify. Jim Beglin is now claiming he too was “similarly advised”.

23. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm honestly bewildered that NBCSN is claiming this is a thing. I'd love to know who this person at the PGMOL is who told NBCSN this was a foul throw.

24. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

25. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    Okay, so maybe he’s less facing the field and more facing the goal.

I got nothing.