Premier League 2019-20 Assignments and Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by balu, Jul 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why mandatory? It was late and careless. You could argue enough force to be reckless. But it wasn’t so bad that it absolutely had to be given.

Thezzaruz repped this.
  2. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That wasn’t my intended point. I was simply suggesting incompetent VARing leading to an unfair non-application of black and white rule.

3. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Not sure what your complaint is tbh, the AR did make the call (and got it right).

4. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Mandatory caution: https://www.clippituser.tv/c/dnxwrn

5. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Showing the video I’ve already seen isn’t an answer to the question.

The defender mistimes a tackle in the penalty area. He tucks his legs at the end and does everything possible to mitigate force and/or not foul, if possible. The totality of actions illustrate he was careless.

You can argue that, due to momentum the force was so high that a referee would be within his rights to deem this reckless. That’s fine. But arguing that a caution here is “mandatory” is wrong.

And if you feel strongly that I’m wrong about this being careless, you should be able to articulate why because that’s what, for example, a National Coach would be asking you if you give a caution here. A yellow wouldn’t be wrong, but you’d have explain your decision. And saying “mandatory” is the wrong answer.

tomek75 repped this.
  6. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    It's a reckless foul. Reckless fouls require yellow cards, hence why I called it "mandatory".

Tucking the legs in is what downgrades it from "endangering the safety of an opponent" to "reckless foul", not from "reckless foul" to "careless foul".

7. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Here was the one other situation form the match. Sokratis sees yellow and Winks does not. Important to note that Winks was already on a caution.

https://streamable.com/hcctw

8. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Lol it would be funny if it weren’t so true

9. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger or consequences of his opponent. Again, the totality of actions clearly show he WAS regarding the danger and consequences. Again, a yellow is okay. But arguing “mandatory” is going to lead you into trouble. And I’d conclude by saying absolutely no one of authority or import in the professional game would deem Atkinson “wrong” for not giving a caution.

Is your implication that Winks should have been sent off here?

What was the restart?

If Winks didn’t get called for a foul and this was Spurs’ throw, then Sokratis deliberately held the ball and held his opponent in a pretty provocative manner. He would know his opponent is on a yellow. He would be trying to get his opponent sent off. If you want to argue that Winks did enough to make a second caution unavoidable, again, that’s a legitimate argument to make. But just make sure you don’t get sucked in on these sort of situations and reward a player for acting in a way to get his opponent sent off when the “misconduct” is relatively minor.

If Sokratis won the foul and it was his restart, I’m slightly more sympathetic to your apparent implication. Still don’t think two yellows are necessary here (in fact, I’d suggest a referee could manage with none in certain contexts).

tomek75 repped this.
  10. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Sokratis got the caution because he was so over the top hot headed at that point (had been for a few minutes), it took two team mates to pull him away from the situation and close to a minute before he had chilled down enough that Atkinson could get him to come back for a chat.

Winks was an ass but not enough (especially in a derby) to deserve a caution.

If there was a Spurs player that could have gotten booked there it was Sissoko for coming after Sokratis for a few words and shoves, but it wasn't much either.

Spurs throw

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  11. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Premier League came out and admitted that there were four mistakes made by VAR so far this season.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...-newcastles-equaliser-against-watford-should/

More here

So, after 40 games, we have 4 VAR errors and 6 corrections. That's a very low use of VAR, as we said.

12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Ensured... correct decision."

It doesn't say that there were six corrections.

I admittedly haven't seen all games from the first four weeks, but we had the handball call with City/Spurs and what else? We know there have been no penalty or red card interventions. Have there actually been five instances where VAR either took away or awarded a goal, reversing the on-field decision? I don't think there have been--I think I can recall one or two. If I'm correct, the "ensured... correct decision" metric is counting a few instances where VAR confirmed a few decisions. It's also likely counting Atkinson's rogue use on a goalkeeper foul.

I am surprised they've admitted they missed two penalties and a red card.

Not surprised they publicly said the Watford-Newcastle call was blown. It's going to be very interesting if that affects promotion/relegation. Because with a league authority admitting publicly that a "process error" might be the difference in hundreds of millions of pounds... well, I can envisage the scenario where a club might at least try to make a legal case. Probably wouldn't go anywhere, but the publicity wouldn't be good.

13. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    So, from the EPL's perspective, what's the point of VAR?

It is about as likely (4 times in 40 games) to change a correct call on the field to an incorrect call as it is to correct an incorrect call in the field (6 times in 40 games).

It doesn't really seem like a useful tool.

14. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, the 4 times cited were about failures to intervene. VAR didn't change a correct call to an incorrect one. It just failed to properly function and arrive at the correct eventuality.

Similarly, as I write above, I think the suggestion that six calls were corrected to the right call is an exaggeration. I think the actual number where VAR changed an incorrect call to a correct one might be more like 3 or 4.

So instead of asking "what's the point?" A better question might be, "how can you train for nearly two years and be this incompetent out of the gate?" The EPL is essentially saying there were around 8 opportunities where VAR was expected to intervene and it only did so in about 4 (one which was a handball to deny a goal and the others which were very marginal offside decisions). No matter what way you slice it, unless you're a Spurs fan there's really been no value add to the league from VAR so far.

15. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    It does now.

So five disallowed goals and then the PK re-take that got everyone confused.

16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Zouma disallowed goal is the Atkinson decision where he never awarded the goal. So that’s one that’s a flat-out lie.

I’d like to go back and look at the others to see the procedures.

17. colman1860

colman1860 Member

Nov 13, 2012
    London, England
    1. An offside everyone would have been happy with as level
    2. No one wanted this
    3. In a VARless world, everyone is happy with this as a goal
    4. Same as #3
    5. An actually useful VAR intervention for a missed offside!!!!
    6. Atkinson disallowed this in the first place, and would have done so more clearly without VAR to confuse things

Add to that the four situations where Riley admits VAR got it wrong. What is the point??

18. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Matchweek 5

Liverpool - Newcastle
    Referee: Andre Marriner. Assistants: Scott Ledger, Simon Long. Fourth official: Andy Madley. VAR: Mike Dean. Assistant VAR: Dan Robathan.

Brighton - Burnley
    Referee: Michael Oliver. Assistants: Stuart Burt, Simon Bennett. Fourth official: Tim Robinson. VAR: Paul Tierney. Assistant VAR: Stephen Child.

Man Utd - Leicester
    Referee: Martin Atkinson. Assistants: Lee Betts, Constantine Hatzidakis. Fourth official: Jarred Gillett. VAR: Stuart Attwell. Assistant VAR: Peter Kirkup.

Sheffield Utd - Southampton
    Referee: Lee Mason. Assistants: Marc Perry, Mark Scholes. Fourth official: Ben Toner. VAR: John Brooks. Assistant VAR: Darren Cann.

Tottenham - Crystal Palace
    Referee: Craig Pawson. Assistants: Ian Hussin, Richard West. Fourth official: Michael Salisbury. VAR: Jonathan Moss. Assistant VAR: Eddie Smart.

Wolves - Chelsea
    Referee: Graham Scott. Assistants: Neil Davies, Daniel Cook. Fourth official: Simon Hooper. VAR: Chris Kavanagh. Assistant VAR: Adam Nunn.

Norwich - Man City
    Referee: Kevin Friend. Assistants: Matthew Wilkes, Sian Massey-Ellis. Fourth official: Peter Bankes. VAR: Anthony Taylor. Assistant VAR: Gary Beswick.

Bournemouth - Everton
    Referee: Paul Tierney. Assistants: Eddie Smart, Harry Lennard. Fourth official: John Brooks. VAR: Michael Oliver. Assistant VAR: Stephen Child.

Watford - Arsenal
    Referee: Anthony Taylor. Assistants: Gary Beswick, Adam Nunn. Fourth official: Peter Bankes. VAR: Chris Kavanagh. Assistant VAR: Daniel Cook.

Aston Villa - West Ham
    Referee: Mike Dean. Assistants: Darren Cann, Dan Robathan. Fourth official: Andy Madley. VAR: Martin Atkinson. Assistant VAR: Andy Halliday.

No top-six clash this week. Scott, Friend and Taylor in charge of away games for top-six teams.

19. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how quickly we'll see Gillett with a whistle.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  20. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thinking about it a bit more... there are essentially 10 incidents we're talking about where VAR came into play or definitely should have come into play.

If these were the pre-VAR days, there would have been four instances where fans likely would have said "why don't we have VAR?!". That's incident #5 above (and even that's a stretch, because the offside was somewhat complicated and very hard to discern) plus the two penalties and one SFP that Riley points out.

So you have four instances of what could have been clear and good VAR interventions... and only one happened. We have a 25% success rate on the most egregious of correctable VAR incidents that people would have cared about last year.

You then have three potential usages related to the new handball rule, with only 67% accuracy.

Then one botched VAR play that Riley is implying was a success (Atkinson).

And two VAR interventions that are technically correct, but definitely fall in the category of "no one would call clearly wrong" (#1 and #2 in your list).

You can then add in a couple clear DOGSOs that referees and VARs missed and Riley isn't copping to because apparently DOGSO isn't going to be somewhere VARs intervene.

Things aren't good and this is not going well. But there aren't any OFRs and time isn't being lost, so everyone will pretend like things are going well, I guess!

21. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    I would say that the consensus opinion will be the first sentence.

As for the second, I could see EPL argue that VAR did not improve the game, or quality of refereeing (in a more artful way) and call it a failed experiment. Thus dies VAR.

22. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that's the end game at all. England just wants to do it differently and, in their eyes, better.

VAR is never going away. At least not until something else replaces it.

23. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Agree on both counts. Even if this was a plot by EPL to kill VAR, it wouldn't get the world there. EPL might ditch it, but the genie is all the way out of the bottle.

24. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is some sort of mid-table game during the holiday fixtures when they need to rotate some officials in to rest the regular crew.

25. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was originally presuming the 2020-21 season—late. Then a full promotion for 2021-2022. He’s young and never underestimate the concept of “paying your dues.” England immediately accepting a foreign FIFA into the EPL would not be on brand.

But I also thought we’d only see him as a VAR in the EPL this year. Seeing him as a FO already makes me think there could be an opening. You’ve probably identified the right window if it’s going to happen. But I’m still skeptical it happens this season.

RefIADad repped this.