Predictions

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Lazy Assed Assassin, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I’ll have what this guy is smoking, cause 2nd and Conference Finals is well beyond my expectations for the season: http://mlsmultiplex.com/2017/02/19/happened-robbie-rogers-strange-injury-leaves-no-return-date/

Finish: 5th
    Playoffs: 2nd round exit
    Golden Boot: Gio
    Assist Leader: Alessandrini
    Surprise Player: McBean
    Disappointing Player: Joao
    Is Onalfo still the coach at the end of the season?: Yes
    Is Onalfo still the coach at the beginning of next?: Yes

Supporters’ Shield: Dallas
    West 1: Dallas
    East 1: NYCFC
    MLS Cup: TFC v Seattle II
    MLS Cup Champ: TFC
    USOC: Galaxy (more wish fulfillment than prediction, if Onalfo is smart though he’d do a Jose/Sigi and make the USOC top priority this season)
    First Sacked: Kinnear

Berks, WarGalaxy, hav77 and 2 others repped this.
  2. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finish: 7th
    Playoffs: no playoffs
    Golden Boot: Gyasi
    Assist Leader: Alessandrini (free kick and corner opportunities)
    Surprise Player: McBean
    Disappointing Player: Gio
    Is Onalfo still the coach at the beginning of next?: Yes (I think he will get two years)

East 1: Toronto
    MLS Cup: Dallas vs. Philadelphia (really I have no idea)
    MLS Cup Champ: Dallas
    USOC: Kansas City
    First Sacked: Who is even coaching these teams any more? ;)

3. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As much as I would love to weight in, any positive prediction I make would result in any related player spontaneously combusting as soon as I clicked "Post Reply".

TrickHog and L.A. Native repped this.
  4. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do not be superstitious - lay it on us!

TrickHog repped this.
  5. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even though we are expectedly horrendous I expect nothing but winning. There is no second, second sucks!

TrickHog repped this.
  6. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finish: 6th
    Playoffs: first round exit
    Assist Leader: Gio
    Surprise Player: McBeast
    Disappointing Player: Pedro

Supporters’ Shield: TFC
    East 1: TFC
    MLS Cup: Dallas v TFC
    USOC: Portland
    First Sacked: Cassar

EDIT: Do 6 teams per conference still make playoffs?

WarGalaxy, Geneva and TrickHog repped this.
  7. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Playoffs: first round exit
    Surprise Player: Boateng
    Disappointing Player: Pedro

Supporters’ Shield: TFC
    East 1: TFC
    USOC: Seattle
    First Sacked: Cassar

Mostly copied Napper's because it seems about right.

Usually my pattern is to be annoyed in the offseason but optimistic at the start of the season, but that last game has taken the wind from my sails. We still haven't figured out how to use Gio and I think our season is going to ride on that. That and we need Gyasi to stay healthy.

8. wcmanes

wcmanes Member

May 28, 1999
    Riverside, Ca, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finish: 10th (Early results horrible and just goes downhill, MUFC barely saves us from 11th)
    Playoffs: Not even close
    Golden Boot: No one over 10
    Assist Leader: Lletget
    Disappointing Player: JJ (works hard but never clicks, frustration sets in) and Steres (big soph slump, will probably loose starting role if a trade can be found)
    Is Onalfo still the coach at the end of the season?: Yes, and hailed for exceptional performance in tough situation

Supporters’ Shield: NYCFC
    USOC: Fire
    First Sacked: Robinson or Kinnear

Geneva and TrickHog repped this.
  9. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I haven't studied the other teams off season changes enough to make a prediction for them. But I have a pretty good idea about what the Galaxy will do this season based on the roster and FO decisions so far and it looks remarkably like wcmanes. A few small differences, one of them good (hint: next to last line).

Finish:
    8th (Agree with wcmanes: Early results horrible and just goes downhill)
    Playoffs: No.
    Golden Boot: Gio, with 10 goals.
    Assist Leader: Alessandrini with 7.
    Surprise Player: Not on current roster.
    Disappointing Players: Too many to choose from: BJIV because he will end up buried deep on the bench, McBean because he will be lauded for his "hold-up play" game after game but won't have more than 4 goals by end of season, JJ for being brilliant for stretches but also missing half the season with injuries and red cards, Garcia because he is being set up for failure.
    Is Onalfo still the coach at the end of the season?: No, he will have lost the team and the fans 3 months in, fired midseason.
    Is Onalfo still the coach at the beginning of next?: Yes, for some Southern Cal youth team.

73Bruin and TrickHog repped this.
  10. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Santo Tomas, Batangas, Philippines.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My only prediction is that there will be much rending of garments and pulling out of hair amongst Galaxy fans, particularly here on B.S.

Berks, Geneva, GalaxyKoa and 3 others repped this.
  11. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  12. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget the gnashing of teeth.

ragbone repped this.
  13. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Playoffs: 1st round exit
    Golden Boot: Gio
    Disappointing Player: Lassiter

East 1: NYRB
    MLS Cup: TFC vs Dallas with TFC winning
    MLS Cup Champ: TFC
    USOC: Seattle. After winning the MLS Cup, they'll revert back to what's most important to them.
    First Sacked: Heaps

14. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I think Onalfo will be sacked if we are around a .500 win percentage late in the year. The goal of this organization is to win cups. We are spending way too much on Jones, Van damme, Gio, Alessandrini, Zardes, etc not to be a playoff team.

73Bruin repped this.
  15. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I hear you, but I'll counter with 2015 and 2016.

shelbo and TrickHog repped this.
  16. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Last season if we would have won half our games we would have tied for the SS so I'm not sure what you mean. I assume you mean winning half of non-tied games? Even then - every team who accomplished that made the playoff last season. Hell PHI made the it with a 11-14-9 record. Western Conference bottom qualifier was RSL with a 12-12-10 record.

It's immaterial in any case. We will be something like 4-7-6 around mid-season. You heard it here first.

17. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm going go with a pretty big struggle early, but there won't be any pressure as we wait for expected "big" signing in the summer that will save us.

We might improve a bit in the second half, and will likely still make it into the playoffs (i'd say 4th is probably our ceiling), might even win the wild card or first round, but won't really be a force by any stretch.

Despite a disappointing season, Onalfo will be given a chance next year too, as the social media team wins more awards and attendance remains pretty much the same.

Next year with LAFC will be bad. Very bad.

Dr.Phil and TrickHog repped this.
  18. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I predict we will all complain no matter what happens.

:)

hav77, Berks, gveli001 and 5 others repped this.
  19. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are all the winners.

hav77, Berks, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.
  20. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That WAS the goal. I am not sure it still is.

If it is, they are going about it in a very strange way.

21. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is for players currently on our roster:

Our Players:

Jelle Van Damme - Has a solid season, doesn't roam forward as much this year.
    Ashley Cole - Fades as the year continues and has a rough start as well, as his early season injury lingers.
    Dave Romney - Has a weak/mediocre couple of games in Cole's absence. He'll get a few more chances as Cole deals with minor injuries/general need for rest. Doesn't do much to make his case for a starting spot.
    Daniel Steres - Not much of a sophmore slump. Has about the same season he did last year but still doesn't inspire the confidence of someone who just played two decent full seasons as your starting centerback.
    Robbie Rogers - Struggles with injuries all year. Plays less than 10 games, potentially retires mid-season but likely at the end of the season.
    Hugo Arellano (HGP) - Sees very few games, mostly plays with G2.
    Ariel Lassiter - Seems to have won the initial battle for #3 striker but quickly loses out to McBean after a poor start to the season. Ends the season with 3 or less goals in ~20 appearances.
    Emmanuel Boateng - Is a terror off the bench, running at tired defenses. Still has trouble with the final ball, though, but his offensive production improves slightly on last season.
    Giovani dos Santos (DP) - As long as he's not leaned on as a creator, he has a good season. Has around 25 goals/assists. Develops a good rapport with Zardes up top. We'll still complain about his lack apparent lack of determination.
    Raúl Mendiola - I don't think Curt plays him much.
    Gyasi Zardes - Has a 10-12 goal season, playing as a striker. Occasionally played out wide when required. Also has some injury struggles beyond this current injury.
    Jack McBean - After earning the #3 striker role, has a decent 5g/5a type season in the vein of Alan Gordon. I still don't see him as a true target man, though.
    Bradford Jamieson IV - Unfortunately, gets another concussion and has to retire at the end of the season. If he stays healthy, he gets some minutes but isn't the same proactive player we've seen in the past.
    Clément Diop - Isn't a starter for G2 as he'll travel with the first team most of the time.
    Dan Kennedy - Bye Felicia.
    Brian Rowe - Has a solid if unassuming season like in 2016. His lack of ability for the spectacular athletic save leads many to believe he's still not a true #1 in this league but he again puts up solid numbers (seriously, his numbers last year should have had him in the Goalkeeper of the Year conversation).
    Baggio Husidić - Fills in well when he's played in central midfielder, as he is wont to do. He'll get some minutes at fullback, where he will flounder.
    Romain Alessandrini - Turns in a decent season, but nowhere near transfomative for this team. He's a low/medium level DP and ends with about 8g/8a.
    João Pedro - Never gets in sync with Jones but turns out to be a decent, but expensive given his transfer fee, #6. Apparently has played a double pivot with Jones which is interesting but I think as the season moves on he'll transition
    Jermaine Jones - Surprisingly stays moderately healthy (maybe misses 4-6 games with injury) and is wildcard. That comes with positives (he's going to win us some games basically single handedly) and negatives (poor team shape, will be tough to develop a rapport with). I will probably consider his season like a "I'm glad he was on our side but I'm not sure I want to do that again".
    Sebastian Lletget - Very good season for Lletget, who fresh off a new contract and his first USMNT cap, proves that he should be in the team hoping to qualify for Russia. Whether centrally or out wide, he has a true breakout season.
    Rafael Garcia - He is who we thought he was. Utterly fails at right fullback.
    Jose Villarreal - I think Curt continues with Bruce's plan to not play him much.
    Bradley Diallo - Will get limited minutes at leftback when both Romney and Cole are either injured, need rest or simply in bad form. He'll put in mediocre minutes at best and will be released at the end of the season, perhaps earlier if we need to make wholesale changes mid-season.

MLS:
    West:
    1. Dallas
    2. Seattle
    3. SKC
    4. Colorado
    5. LA Galaxy
    6. Portland
    7. RSL
    8. Houston
    9. Vancouver
    10. San Jose
    11. Minnesota
    East:
    1. Toronto
    2. NYRB
    3. NYCFC
    4. Montreal
    5. Orlando
    6. Atlanta
    7. New England
    8. Chicago
    9. DC
    10. Columbus
    11. Philly
    Curt Onalfo:
    He will prove that he's out of his depth. His reliance on younger players as backups will earn him some patience from the FO. He will last to the end of the season as long as we're on track to make the playoffs, which we probably will. We may make a change in the off-season if we bomb out of the playoffs quickly, which we probably will, but only if there is a chance at getting Bob Bradley or some huge name.

Ultimately, I'm just hoping this season results in a few of our young players turning into at least serviceable MLS players.

hav77, ProudNatRN, profiled and 2 others repped this.
  22. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finish: 7th
    Playoffs: No hope
    Golden Boot: Dos Santos
    Assist Leader: Alessandrini
    Surprise Player: Jones [Surprisingly bad]
    Disappointing Player: Cole [A non-Merry Old Soul]
    Is Onalfo still the coach at the end of the season?: Yes. He wins the coveted Jay Heaps West title.
    Is Onalfo still the coach at the beginning of next?: Yes. The FO wins the coveted Burnsie West title

MLS Cup: Portland vs Toronto
    MLS Cup Champ: Toronto
    USOC: Seattle
    First Sacked: Robinson

24. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw the initial MLS power rankings put us at 5th.

Either that is grossly over-rating LAG, or the league is in a lot worse shape than I thought.

25. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    And the Galaxy Social Media team doesn’t agree. ESPN and SI are probably closer to the truth with 11th and 13th respectively.

The Cadaver repped this.