Pre-World Cup Training at Stanford

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by keller4president, May 14, 2014.

1. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Couple more things.

While a nice evening, it was - of course - very windy at the Stick. It absolutely will affect the game tomorrow. I don't know why they didn't play at Stanford.

Crowd ended up being about 1k I think. When JK came out, he got a smattering of applause but one guy yelled "Where's Landon" I think. Polite otherwise. I thought we might have a few more rabble rousers. Even though I'm really pissed about the LD thing, glad that that never happened.

Neuwerld, WrmBrnr, stonejh127 and 2 others repped this.
  2. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to all for the practice reports!
    I was considering heading out there today, but opted instead to hang with my family :)
    I'm really looking forward to my first cap tomorrow :geek:

3. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Pretty much exactly how I saw it. I had my guys that I was paying attention to so I don't have anything as nearly detailed as you.

Yedlin vs Chandler: Yedlin wasn't bad at all, but Timmy just had so much more composure and skill on the ball.

Beasley vs Johnson: Yeah, Johnson had a very low key game and nothing stood out. Beasley was given acres of space and put in a ton of harmless crosses.

Dempsey: incredible, and I don't think anyone else came close to matching him offensively.

Wondo: I have never entertained the idea that he would get significant minutes in the WC until today. His
    finishing was second only to Dempsey.

AJ: Yeah he had some shots during practice that were cringe-worthy. He just looked discombobulated out there. He had a couple slips, some swings and misses---but good lord he had this one goal he rifled in that
    produced more than the standard ooh and ahh from the crowd.

Did anyone else who went see Jones walking kind of gingerly, as if maybe he was in pain? I noticed Omar is still wearing some kind of brace/tape but saw no evidence of injury.

Neuwerld, WrmBrnr, stonejh127 and 7 others repped this.
  4. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #829 Lloyd Heilbrunn, May 27, 2014
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
    " Can I kiss you, Suzy"?

Edit: Beaten by Appoo!! :)

5. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Wear pants, long sleeve + shirt + something at least as warm a sweatshirt/hoody. That place is hell on earth.

orcrist repped this.
  6. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #831 The Clientele, May 27, 2014
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
    I was there tonight, as well.

Quick observations from seeing the players up close:

--Geoff Cameron, in person, is an impressive athlete. Dude needs to start.
    --Jermaine Jones is also extremely athletic - the guy has wheels. I see why Klinsman loves him. He's absolutely a physical presence - and he's got strong ball skills.
    --I absolutely love heart and effort, but I wonder if Wondo and Brad Davis are really up to this level. It kills me to write that. I hope they prove me wrong!
    --I agree with another poster that Beasley takes way to long to cross. I think we're in troubling if Beasley starts at fullback... Again, I hate to say that.
    --Bedoya's touch seemed off, like he is uncomfortable with the ball at his feet. He seems to do better when the game has a faster pace, though.
    --Bradley plays like a European - nice touch, economical, fast decision making. Stud.
    --Gonzo seemed like a spectator... I get the sense Omar might not be starting. He seemed distracted.
    --Dempsey seems to be playing well. Scored multiple goals during the scrimmage. Seemed hungry.
    --Besler plays with a high level of awareness. Smart player.
    --Johannson could have a great world cup. He's got an explosive quality.
    --Green is a talent. It's obvious he reads the game at a high level. The guy is going to be good. He's young, but from seeing him up close (and compared to rest of the guys), the guy is capable of playing at a high level.

That said, I wish all our players only the best. I'm rooting for all these guys to make us proud.

Statman, WrmBrnr, vmax71 and 11 others repped this.
  7. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Absolutely. I was afraid that someone was going to let Jurgen really have it when he came out through the tunnel, but I was glad the only thing I heard was a good-natured "where's Landon?" to which JK responded with an equally good natured grin. I will save all my angry outbursts for this board :D Time to jump onboard the bandwagon and drink the kool aide.

Neuwerld, JRNoblin, StillKickin and 2 others repped this.
  8. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    probably means he lost the ball, bent over and rearranged his socks then thought better of it and decided to contemplate the Weimar Republic, then decided to beat it back on defense?

I hate his constant giveaways followed by lazy walk back.

9. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "I was afraid that someone was going to let Jurgen really have it when he came out through the tunnel, but I was glad the only thing I heard was a good-natured "where's Landon?" to which JK responded with an equally good natured grin."

Likewise. I was really dreading the possibility of negative comments from the crowd. That guy who yelled "where's Landon?" was right behind me. At that moment I thought: "oh no, this could be ugly. The last thing the team needs." Was happy the crowd was supportive, maybe not as vocal as I'd hoped, but overall positive in tone.

Time to get behind the team. Hoping everybody rises to the occasion.

10. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    That's really good to hear about Dempsey. In my opinion, besides Forlan, Dempsey was the most dangerous player in the box for his team at the 2010 world cup. He was always pushing the question. A fearless competitor.

Also good to hear about Wondo. He is playing for a team that give him few chances to score so he has probably learned the economy of finishing. Great post.

I hope Edu gets called in for Jones. God help us.

11. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    More than a few people around me as I moved about the seats had no idea who Aron Jóhannsson was.

One comical thing that only us die-hards will find funny: Some dude sitting behind me was trying to identify Deandre Yedlin. He said "Oh, he's that one guy who made the team that nobody thought was going to, isn't that AJ DeLagarza?"

WrmBrnr, uclacarlos, jeffmefun and 2 others repped this.
  12. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    That was probably Superdave.

Stogey23 and yankthisyank'swank repped this.
  13. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Yeah, don't get your hopes up. I couldn't put my finger on it, but he looked stiff when he first came out. During the actual practice though he looked fine.

14. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Oh, one last thing I noticed: Twellman has a totally "yo bro" relationship with many of the non-dual nationals. He was hanging out by the tunnel and greeted several of the 2006-2010 vets. No wonder the guy has gotten lots of good scoops.

WrmBrnr, vmax71 and StillKickin repped this.
  15. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Thanks for the rundown....yeah I really really like Bedoya, but I think him on the right wing is probably the best option.

16. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I'm not a fan of moving Johnson to make room for Bedoya. At all.

Altidore - Dempsey - Bradley-Jones - Zusi - Johnson has been our front line for most of qualitying. I don't know why we're disrupting it. Especially for Bedoya.

17. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That front 6 played together exactly once in qualifying.

The fact is we've never had a set lineup under Klinsmann; players have always come and gone and changed roles based on form and injuries.

Hararea repped this.
  18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I like it. Beasley defensive lapses are covered by Bedoya, who tracks back constantly.

And Zusi lack of tracking back is compensated by the best fullback covering him, Fabian.

It promises to be a fairly wide attack, too, with Bradley going forward more training as CM) and Jones staying back (training with the defenders). I'd be lying if I said I didn't like it. Looks good on paper, and should be good enough to beat this depleted Azerbaijan.

Good enough for Ghana? Actually, yes. I think so. At least to push them to the limit.

WrmBrnr repped this.
  19. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Does anyone who saw Omar think he's truly 100%?

Goodson'/Parkhurst comments seemed ill-timed and altogether imbecilic when one of the guys in front of them is still wearing a knee brace. Don't you just shut up and wait for a possible call before mouthing off?

20. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    I was thinking something similar. Gonzalez doesn't seem fully fit and it's hardly a stretch to think something might happen and he might not make it.

21. seeds

seeds Member

Apr 23, 2002
    NYC
    I would take it easy on them. They were all asked about their reactions when they got back to their clubs. What are they supposed to say? Its an emotional situation to be on the wrong end of the cut, and if you genuinely feel that the decisions were made in advance despite all JK said to the contrary, what are you supposed to think? I think LD and Goodson have the most legitimate gripes, less so for Edu and Parkhurst. And I am absolutely puzzled why both Yedlin and Chandler made the 23 if Johnson is the starting right back.

22. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think JK can accept that kind of competitive drive. It fits with his psyche. He also knows one phone call and most of those cut guys will instantly be on message and on point. :)

23. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is AJ healthy or not? I've read some reports he didn't look sharp but do we think it's injury related at all or just a bad night?

24. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    Should a mod maybe adjust the thread title since they're not going to be at Stanford anymore?

25. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Everyone giving extensive practice reports ( @dlokteff @jond @Mr. Bandwagon etc.) thank you guys very much. This is invaluable and is exactly the kind of thing that separates BigSoccer from other sites.

SJB, jeffmefun, dwsmith1972 and 4 others repped this.