Pre-Season

Discussion in 'Washington Freedom' started by MRAD12, Mar 15, 2011.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Looks like there was a pre-season game for MagicJack today and they beat Boston in a 3 period scrimmage in West Palm Beach 3-2.
    A goal and an assist by Ella Masar, goal by Wambach according to Boston twitter.

Still no info from Magicjack.

2. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    Noticed that Sophie Schmidt is on magicJack's roster. How does this work? I thought she wasn't in the draft.

3. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    It's an issue being enquired into at the moment, because there are more than a few confused people regarding this.

4. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go Sophie. There have been lots of players over the past 3 years that have showed in pre-season camp and made the roster of a WPS team. The draft is just that, but draftees need to perform in camp to get a real contract. Maybe there is some nuance here I am missing, but in pre-season, its open season for great players to show well. The draft has nothing to do with it unless someone else in WPS had her rights. Given the WPS's transparency over the years WTF knows.

5. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    She didn't declare for the draft, which under WPS rules should make her ineligible for this season. She would've been a first round pick had she entered the draft.

6. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the crazy things that have happened in the last year, until the final rosters are declared at the end of month and approved by the league, I have a hunch anything is possible, especially for the owner who single handedly saved the WPS.

7. pokey55

pokey55 Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Well that's one way to completely eradicate any sense of this being a 'professional' league. What a joke this seems to be turning into; you can't set the rules that way.

8. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twitter word is that the other goal was scored by Press.

9. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    everyone is still trying to find ways to hate new jack but they are putting to gether a killer squad around abby, have a cast possibly better than the players around marta. and when world cup comes around they will be pretty much in tact like atlanta.

now, does anyone have a clue where a ticket can be purchased?

10. dablackdoctor23

dablackdoctor23 New Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the million $ question hahahahaha. Seriously are they expecting like a massive "rush" sale. Like a last minute text 30 min before kickoff? It's amateurism at its finest. Even a simple "new site coming soon" isn't too much to ask. but then again, it's the teams that run this league, not the wps "office"

11. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm not hatin. In fact I'm amazed at his team.
    Just puzzled at the lack of exposure.
    And you're right. Where do I buy a ticket?
    I'm going to south florida a couple of times this summer and hope to see a game or 2.

As of right now I expect to be turned off at the gate by a sign that reads:
    "no tickets for sale - no fans needed".

12. Tokonta

Tokonta Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Rumor has it, games are FREE just like Club use to be. Refreshments and Snacks on the other hand are an arm and a leg.;)

13. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess on this issue, and it is only a guess, is that Schmidt was signed as an international player. I don't think they have to declare for the draft and several young internationals have been signed as free agents in the past. I'm not sure as to Schmidt's citizenship, if she is only Canadian or if she has dual citizenship, but that's my guess.

14. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sophie is a Canuck.

15. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do all you DC area Freedom fans still get together for other events or mourning?

Initially Magic Jack was supposed to split time with D.C. so when did you guys find out they were totally killing DC off?

16. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not yet. Several people went to the (cancelled) game in Philly this past weekend. I couldn't make it, so I don't know how much togetherness there was.

I don't remember exactly when because I wasn't particularly surprised. It didn't make much sense to me to split the matches between two such widely separated home venues.